Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which ever player is the worst player who negatively impacts our team performances.
What is interesting, is that I can't think of any one player who is capable of doing that on such a consistent basis.

We’ll miss Winksyboy and his apologists

LOL

It's fcuking poor to slate this guy so continually as many have done. He never picked himself.

I fcuking hate it.

Sure it's the right time for him to go but unlike some of the dogsh!t and uncommitted players he has been like a beacon.

Shame on many who berate him so mercilessly.

Season 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

It's fcuking poor to slate this guy so continually as many have done. He never picked himself.

I fcuking hate it.

Sure it's the right time for him to go but unlike some of the dogsh!t and uncommitted players he has been like a beacon.

I think his 30 minutes against Everton in the cup was one of the worst ever in a spurs shirt. ( Ans I have seen cundy and nethercott play). Just for that game alone, he deserves to go

I fcuking hate it.

If he was foreign, or even just an expensive english player from another club, he'd have even more hate.
People only stick up for him because he's a Spurs youth player. That's literally the only thing people have left to use to defend him. "he's one of us"
I won't even play 5 a side for my work team anymore because I wouldn't wanna ruin it for them. If Winks was one of us, he'd have realised he was costing us badly and regularly and gone over any of the last 2 or 3 windows.

I genuinely feel for Winks.

He's received a fair amount of banter/shit off Spurs fans over the years, myself included. He didn't pick himself and he wasn't dragging his heels refusing to move on. No one at the club wanted to sell him. The fact that he is HG likely kept him here and unfortunately affected his development. He needed game time and he obviously hasn't been good enough to start for us for a number of seasons. He was never going to improve sat on the bench and any performances that he gave from it didn't represent the best version of him due to the lack of form/confidence/playtime.

It looks like he's finally going to move but he'd be daft to go somewhere where he isn't going to be a nailed-on starter week in, week out. So he has the choice of gambling by playing for a team lower down the table in the toughest league in the world where, to date he has failed to impress OR he can try and push for a move to Spain where his style of football is better suited. Slightly slower pace, less physical, more time on the ball, less pressure. A couple of solid seasons in La Liga and who knows what type of player he develops into.

I genuinely feel for Winks.

He's received a fair amount of banter/shit off Spurs fans over the years, myself included. He didn't pick himself and he wasn't dragging his heels refusing to move on. No one at the club wanted to sell him. The fact that he is HG likely kept him here and unfortunately affected his development. He needed game time and he obviously hasn't been good enough to start for us for a number of seasons. He was never going to improve sat on the bench and any performances that he gave from it didn't represent the best version of him due to the lack of form/confidence/playtime.

It looks like he's finally going to move but he'd be daft to go somewhere where he isn't going to be a nailed-on starter week in, week out. So he has the choice of gambling by playing for a team lower down the table in the toughest league in the world where, to date he has failed to impress OR he can try and push for a move to Spain where his style of football is better suited. Slightly slower pace, less physical, more time on the ball, less pressure. A couple of solid seasons in La Liga and who knows what type of player he develops into.

Did you feel sorry for Bent, Bentley. Ghally etc?

So that proves the point. The only credit he has left is that he is a youth player.
There's nothing in terms of talent. I don't agree with that, players are players wherever they came from.
But that's why I have sympathy for Winks and not the players you've listed. We've had countless players come through the door who failed to take off then leave and only a few who I actually liked. Winks on the other hand was born a Spurs fan, joined the academy at five and is still here 21 years later. He is Spurs through and through, the club is in his blood and because of that fact I care more about him than other players. Call it the Tottenham fan inside me.

Does is change the fact that Winks has been shit for years? No. He needs to move on. He has needed to move on for years. Much of the frustration around Winks is that despite how shit he played, he was still there the next season, and the next, and the next. But then that doesn't fall solely on him, the people who have kept him around solely because he's HG are responsible too.

But that's why I have sympathy for Winks and not the players you've listed. We've had countless players come through the door who failed to take off then leave and only a few who I actually liked. Winks on the other hand was born a Spurs fan, joined the academy at five and is still here 21 years later. He is Spurs through and through, the club is in his blood and because of that fact I care more about him than other players. Call it the Tottenham fan inside me.

Does is change the fact that Winks has been shit for years? No. He needs to move on. He has needed to move on for years. Much of the frustration around Winks is that despite how shit he played, he was still there the next season, and the next, and the next. But then that doesn't fall solely on him, the people who have kept him around solely because he's HG are responsible too.

I don't think it's enough to stick up for him. He's been awful for a long time.
He's had offers to leave. He's been dropped by Poch, Mourinho, Nuno and now Conte. I think Mason would have dropped him if he was there longer.

I think better players have had more abuse just because they're not academy kids. And there's probably academy kids that got less protection than Winks has had.

Poch oversold him to the fans and the media and then played him as a defensive midfielder, he was not big enough got crocked ...
He too often played with his heart and not his head.. shame really, I actually think injuries prevented his development

Back
Top Bottom