Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

he's had a ropey season and spannered in a few shots he should have stopped, cock ups like chelsea etc.

but the old adage, form is temporary class is permanent

that being said, he is 31. it is time to be finding the 19-20 yr old to replace him in 3-4 years time, or the 24/25 yr old to replace him now if thats the best option.

or get donnarumma and have both the ready made replacement and the 19 yr old
Can't agree with that. 31 is young for a 'keeper. I've no issues with a young keeper challenging his position, I think this is healthy for him and the squad. The dynamic was very different with the side this year, weaker fullbacks and most importantly no Wanyama in as DM, the injury to Toby also meant that we never really plugged that midfield and we conceded more shot on our goal as a result. Sure a couple of mistakes were committed but think we've just become accustomed to an exceptional 'keeper over his time with us.

Yeah. I don't think it's the reason the goal went in but takes a tenth of a second to let go of it. But for me just don't know why he didn't stand up and block with his legs/feet, he will have bought himself the tenth of a second to perhaps track it and block it. (having said all that I'm the world worst 'keeper and as an outfield player would instinctively go for everything with my feet, even if it was shoulder hight. 'keeping is a mad business).
he should have used his feet. thats why I always admired annti niemi. his ethos was get in the way of it with something.

he should have used his feet. thats why I always admired annti niemi. his ethos was get in the way of it with something.
Yep. But having said that and what sets Hugo apart from all the best 'keepers in the World, by that I mean he is the greatest in the World at doing his not only saving the ball but also pushing the ball away from danger. He doesn't just stop shots he prevents another coming in, there is no other keeper as goods as him at doing this. Maybe, because he's looking to do this, get his body in a position to direct the parry and he fails to get to the shot????? Maybe he's conditioned himself to never just block or kick it??? (I'm completely guessing here and probably talking out of my arse).

Can't agree with that. 31 is young for a 'keeper. I've no issues with a young keeper challenging his position, I think this is healthy for him and the squad. The dynamic was very different with the side this year, weaker fullbacks and most importantly no Wanyama in as DM, the injury to Toby also meant that we never really plugged that midfield and we conceded more shot on our goal as a result. Sure a couple of mistakes were committed but think we've just become accustomed to an exceptional 'keeper over his time with us.
I wouldnt be looking actively to replace him now unless an exceptional option came up. one of the few keepers that are better than him (a Neuer, or De Gea). I would be looking for the younger keeper to bring in with a view to being his long term replacement.

we should be looking at getting one or both out on loan in that case. playing in mens football, especially for a young keeper, can never be a bad thing
Not sure if that has the same effect, I think they get more practice in academy football than "proper" football. Also very rare for a team to take a young academy player on loan for their 'keeper. That really would be brave of a club.

First and foremost that is absolutely wank defending from Umtiti a) for his touch b) losing his footing c) for not closing down/getting tight to the attacker d) for not then blocking the shot

The fact it goes through the legs of Umtiti make that shot much harder to sight. As for his positioning it's perfect, Lloris he can use the post (touch it for his bearings) but don't know why he hold onto it, wrong. But the shot is cleanly struck and hard and through the legs of his defender, should have blocked with his legs/feet rather than attempt to use body/hands, it was hit to hard for him to get down in time.
Correction: Just seen that it was Sidibe not Umtiti with the shit defending.

I think Lloris not saving shots with his legs/feet is a huge weakness in his game.
THIS. Hugo's lack of ability with his feet with regard to stopping shots/playing out from the back is why he never reached the very highest level of goalkeeping IMO. De Gea, Neuer, ter Stegan, Oblak and now Ederson this season all so far ahead of him in this aspect of their game.

It's a shock to see that go in but I think hes unsighted and the bounce catches him out

He goes down because the shots it low. If it stays low he palms it round the post

But the bounce undoes him

THIS. Hugo's lack of ability with his feet with regard to stopping shots/playing out from the back is why he never reached the very highest level of goalkeeping IMO. De Gea, Neuer, ter Stegan, Oblak and now Ederson this season all so far ahead of him in this aspect of their game.
Iโ€™d argue that Ederson is a worse shot stopper than Lloris, but thatโ€™s less important in Pepโ€™s system than being adroit with your feet.

Last edited:
de Gea Has one of the worst distributions in the league, suffice to say he's shit!! Meanwhile Hugo's has one of the best!! Amazing the difference between facts and perception.
DdOZLqNXcAA6zfL.jpg

de Gea Has one of the worst distributions in the league, suffice to say he's shit!! Meanwhile Hugo's has one of the best!! Amazing the difference between facts and perception.
DdOZLqNXcAA6zfL.jpg
Some interesting stats there to be fair, however they are just stats, which of course don't tell the full story. They don't take into account the teams play style. If de Gea played for us or City, he would be much further up the list I'm pretty sure.
I mean come on, Clownio Bravo being second placed says it all...
:llorishuh:

Some interesting stats there to be fair, however they are just stats, which of course don't tell the full story. They don't take into account the teams play style. If de Gea played for us or City, he would be much further up the list I'm pretty sure.
I mean come on, Clownio Bravo being second placed says it all...
:llorishuh:
Can't have it both ways mate. Of course it has to do with style of play, sorry to be a drag on this but you shouldn't have brought it up in the first place if that was the case. Merely drawing you to an undeniable fact that perception goes a long way to how a player is viewed. de Gea is Utd.'s best player has been for about 4 straight years, he and he alone has kept them relevant with his saves over this time. The perception of him is he's the greatest, infallible yet the reality is his distribution is poor.

Ederson is rarely pressed by the opo, so most of his passes he has all the time in the World to execute, teams who play City don't have the ball and are rarely in City's half, it's their style of play, it's why Ederson is at the top of the list for stats in this area.

Same with saves, some teams play as their forwards as their first line of defence, making it difficult and rare for their opponents to even get an attempt on goal, makes the goalies stats look impressive but basically absolutely nothing to do with him.

I've no issues whatsoever calling Hugo out for areas that he needs to improve on, I've been on his case about his distribution years ago, before anyone else was in this forum too, but it has been one part of his game. The fact it has become a "thing" then lowers his perception on everything else. Meanwhile the perception of a halo of the other 'keepers burns even brighter. Have you seen Neuer in his last couple of games this season? He's been shit, probably because his still not fit having missed all of this season but he's still been shit. Courtois can't catch a cross if his life depended on it, I think he can't use his feet well too.

I could go on and find flaws with all of the keepers you mentioned in your original post, but as fans on here focus and obsess on an error so much it clouds their judgement on the whole picture. There is critiquing and their is over obsessing on that critique. In the scheme of things Lloris is our best 'keeper for 30yrs, and he's one of the best 'keepers in World football.

Back
Top Bottom