Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Realistic options imo:

Diogo costa; Sanchez, Mamardshivili, Kobel, Meslier, Lafont, Henderson, Bijlow and Nubel.

Not all the same quality but all of them have potential and could be doable.
not a clue who the foreign ones are but that meslier looks to have a gaff in him too. henderson could be a shout but ive not seen loads of him to be fair. seems decent keeper though.

next keeper needs to be able to kick a ball though. cant be having heart in mouth everytime the ball goes back to the keeper with someone pressing. not healthy

Agree i think it's going to be a shock to the system for a lot of fans when were bouncing from one keeper to the next because they'll all pretty shit or average at best.
When Ian Walker was at Spurs he got into the England team regularly. He shouldn't have. There were other, better keepers, who didn't get a look in. Players often get selected for their national teams for a variety of spurious and peculiar reasons. The club they play for, the fee payed for them by that club, or their friendship / club team mate status, with other national team players, seems to trump the current form or ability of other players at less glamorous clubs.

The other French goalkeepers must be merde.

Any other keeper who can control, kick and catch a football deserves a chance between the sticks for Spurs.

Wearing an armband whilst showing unity with a cause is an empty gesture, if you really want to show solidarity then you wouldn't go. But that's not realistic because a) it's your job b) you need to earn money c) You don't really have a choice so what's the difference compared to a footballer (apart from earning the money perhaps)?

People want footballers to act as role models, they're not - they're just paid to kick a football around the pitch so there's no reason for them to get themselves involved in a any political campaigns, it's just unfair to expect them to speak out when they've been forced into that position in the first place.
I was just giving an answer to Parisian's example if it was real, I just wouldn't go and if I get sacked I'd get another job.

I don't think it's an empty gesture, the same as wearing the Respect armband is not an empty gesture. It's a simple gesture but it's prompting a lot of discussion and we get to see what the players stances are.

Footballers, sportspeople are role models whether they want to be or not. Lloris spokeout himself about why he's not wearing the armband, no one forced him. I just found his explanation disappointing.

If I went on a business trip and said no to wearing an armband that shows solidarity with oppressed people because it was not respecting the country it would be supporting the injustice of the country.

Most of the time I'm not interested in a players political view, I'm interested in the football but occasionally subjects like this come up which are too important to be ignored.

Some players have chosen to speak out or wear an armband some haven't, it's been their choice. The same with taking the knee. They've mostly chose to take action because political organisations were barely doing anything.
I think an armband is not the way to show anything other than fake interest for own image. Someone who actually cared would not be going there.

I was just giving an answer to Parisian's example if it was real, I just wouldn't go and if I get sacked I'd get another job.

I don't think it's an empty gesture, the same as wearing the Respect armband is not an empty gesture. It's a simple gesture but it's prompting a lot of discussion and we get to see what the players stances are.

Footballers, sportspeople are role models whether they want to be or not. Lloris spokeout himself about why he's not wearing the armband, no one forced him. I just found his explanation disappointing.

Yeah I mean that's not really realistic though is it and I suspect you know that.

Cone on let's be real, it's an empty gesture, just like kneeling before the match for BLM, just like clapping for the NHS...I don't have any qualms if you want to partake in that by the way but in the context of expecting Lloris to say the right things, even if he does it hardly gonna make a difference, it shouldn't be down to you or me or footballers to get involved in politics, the authorities have the power and the money to make the change.

Footballers are role models in their profession, they're not politicians and I don't expect them to be anything but, I'm not expecting Hugo Lloris to tell me all what's wrong in the world and how he's going about to make a change to put things right, there's people out there who are paid to do that, footballers are paid to kick a football and entertain the masses.

yea this is no secret. they have to be one of the worst teams in the league for trying to pass out from the back. if the other team presses hard they will force a mistake. its fucking dumb for us to even try and play out with the keeper and defenders we have. lenglet and romero you can trust but the others im not confident in. davies i think will be ok if the others are but stick him with dier and sanchez and hell struggle
This is exactly what is wrong. Romero and Lenglet are the best footballers Spurs currently have in terms of being able to play out from the back and being comfortable in possession. They can play under a bit of pressure and not shit the bed as the options begin to disappear during any high press.

Dier, Davies, Sanchez, Doherty and the other supporting cast are less able under pressure.

Lloris often plays the starring role once the ball starts being played around the Spurs back line like a hot potato.

Poch's team selections and tactics protected Lloris.

Conte's team selections and tactics have exposed Lloris and the further weakness in the defensive players ability to deal with pressure.

Yeah I mean that's not really realistic though is it and I suspect you know that.

Cone on let's be real, it's an empty gesture, just like kneeling before the match for BLM, just like clapping for the NHS...I don't have any qualms if you want to partake in that by the way but in the context of expecting Lloris to say the right things, even if he does it hardly gonna make a difference, it shouldn't be down to you or me or footballers to get involved in politics, the authorities have the power and the money to make the change.

Footballers are role models in their profession, they're not politicians and I don't expect them to be anything but, I'm not expecting Hugo Lloris to tell me all what's wrong in the world and how he's going about to make a change to put things right, there's people out there who are paid to do that, footballers are paid to kick a football and entertain the masses.
I don't agree that it's just an empty gesture, kneeling hasn't got rid of racism but it's brought some attention it's better than nothing. If racism happens at a game should they just ignore and say nothing because they are not politicians? They would be seen in a really bad light.

Should Kane not raise money for the NHS or the rest of our players and staff not do charity work?
I'm proud that they do that, that they do work within the community, when they aren't paid to do it.

Poch's team selections and tactics protected Lloris.
Bwahahahahaha

a manager who thinks up tactics to reduce exposure to his goalkeeper

that's just like rocket science.......

you must be like Stephen Hawking and Albert Einstein all in one self satisfied, smug.............troll

Who would have spotted that a manager would want to stop the opposition taking shots at his goalkeeper?

"Incroyable!" - as Hugo would say

not a clue who the foreign ones are but that meslier looks to have a gaff in him too. henderson could be a shout but ive not seen loads of him to be fair. seems decent keeper though.

next keeper needs to be able to kick a ball though. cant be having heart in mouth everytime the ball goes back to the keeper with someone pressing. not healthy

Neither is watching Sanchez Dier Royal or Doc passing around the area

Sooner they just hoof it

I don't agree that it's just an empty gesture, kneeling hasn't got rid of racism but it's brought some attention it's better than nothing. If racism happens at a game should they just ignore and say nothing because they are not politicians? They would be seen in a really bad light.

Should Kane not raise money for the NHS or the rest of our players and staff not do charity work?
I'm proud that they do that, that they do work within the community, when they aren't paid to do it.

Do you know what's better than gestures, actions.

If you don't want a World Cup in a morally corrupt country, don't award it in the first place how about that, you want to curtail racism in football then make a club play behind closed doors for a whole season when their fans are booing black players, you want acknowledge the NHS workers then double their wages. All gestures do is create conversation but the conversations never go anywhere, you might argue that campaigns raise awareness but I think every man and his dog is aware that we live in an imperfect world.

Again I'm not against those who want to get on board, I actually commend them so yeah Kane is perfectly fine to raise money for the NHS and I am indeed proud when our players work within the community, my point is it shouldn't be down to them to speak out against corruption, nor should people expect these very same people to be politicians.

Bwahahahahaha

a manager who thinks up tactics to reduce exposure to his goalkeeper

that's just like rocket science.......

you must be like Stephen Hawking and Albert Einstein all in one self satisfied, smug.............troll

Who would have spotted that a manager would want to stop the opposition taking shots at his goalkeeper?

"Incroyable!" - as Hugo would say
Poch did select tactics that protected Lloris. Fact.

I did not say Poch selected those tactics specifically to protect Lloris. Fact

I simply stated the commonly held view that Conte's tactics have exposed Hugo's main areas of weakness. Fact

That is not the same thing. Fact

"you must be like Stephen Hawking and Albert Einstein all in one self satisfied, smug.............troll"

This statement is I believe what is referred to as supposition.

I can't deny the smug bit though. I'll let you have that. I'm pissing myself picturing you furiously typing away.

Poch did select tactics that protected Lloris. Fact.

I did not say Poch selected those tactics specifically to protect Lloris. Fact

I simply stated the commonly held view that Conte's tactics have exposed Hugo's main areas of weakness. Fact

That is not the same thing. Fact

"you must be like Stephen Hawking and Albert Einstein all in one self satisfied, smug.............troll"

This statement is I believe what is referred to as supposition.

I can't deny the smug bit though. I'll let you have that. I'm pissing myself picturing you furiously typing away.
don't kid yourself, merchants like you come and go, won't be long before we all get bored of you

nothing you say makes me furious, it's as funny as fuck - just not for the reason you believe it to be.

A tremendous figure of the club in the last decade. However is clear as water that he is sadly declining. I will always have a big soft spot for him. Was for some years by far the only world class player in the club. After Bale left until Kane became a superstar. Could had left for United or Real Madrid but didn’t forced the club hand.

Next season the club should bring a young (no older than 25 or 26) keeper to start the succession and Lloris getting less games. For me diogo costa would be the obvious answer. Not cheap but a fantastic keeper and just 23.
Is Diogo Costa too small for the PL?

Feel like we need a big, calm fucker to help keep our goofy defenders' nerves.

Back
Top Bottom