Hugo Lloris

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Only Cech has made more mistakes than him leading to goals last season.

Which means he performed worse than 18 other goalkeepers last season in that department and he's cost his team a number of goals.

I'm not saying we need to replace him here. I think we need to think about looking at a younger goalkeeper who will potentially take his place in a few years. His poor distribution is a hindrance in the modern game and his mistakes are coming too frequent.

Unless Poch thinks Gazzaniga is that guy.

That's a very narrow viewpoint. ...Do (credible) cert goals prevented not counterbalance errors AT ALL?

....+ as since pointed out, overall team performance plays a part.

I guess I'm one of the few with the balls to say I want him replaced.

He's a good person, a good captain and a good footballer, but he's definitely slowly going down hill year on year and future plans need to be made. Vorm is not going to replace him and it doesn't seem like there's any youth GK coming through.

Would be a good year to buy someone and bed them in with cup games while Lloris starts the season as 1st choice.

Only Cech has made more mistakes than him leading to goals last season.

Which means he performed worse than 18 other goalkeepers last season in that department and he's cost his team a number of goals.

I'm not saying we need to replace him here. I think we need to think about looking at a younger goalkeeper who will potentially take his place in a few years. His poor distribution is a hindrance in the modern game and his mistakes are coming too frequent.

Unless Poch thinks Gazzaniga is that guy.
on the other side of that coin (and it is a valid stat, although its also misleading...), how many saves has he maid that the same 18 keepers wouldnt even smell

Even the most biased fan of Lloris wouldnt deny his standard has dropped this year.

However, would you take Mignolet or Karius in his place? they made less goal costing mistakes last year.
You look at the 18 keepers beneath him in that list and here are maybe 2 you would take in his place. 3 at a push. (I dont think Ederson is a better keeper..but his distribution is better than any keeper ive ever seen, with the possible exception of Chilavert and Neuer, so it would be a swings and roundabouts thing)

but its the "he's losing it" statement that is over the top.

Lets put it like this:
Two keepers face 100 shots in a season
Neither keeper makes any handling errors re crosses, corners etc, and distribute at 100%. no penalties conceded.

Keeper A saves 95 shots but is directly responsible for the goals conceded on the 5 he doesnt save
Keeper B saves 80 shots but can't be faulted for the 20 that go in

Keeper A is clearly the better goalkeeper

as far as signing a new keeper goes, I agree 100%. Lloris is 31. we should assume that we need to look at shipping him on by 35, so you need a replacement in within the next 2 years. i doubt is its gazzanigga myself.

on the other side of that coin (and it is a valid stat, although its also misleading...), how many saves has he maid that the same 18 keepers wouldnt even smell

Even the most biased fan of Lloris wouldnt deny his standard has dropped this year.

However, would you take Mignolet or Karius in his place? they made less goal costing mistakes last year.
You look at the 18 keepers beneath him in that list and here are maybe 2 you would take in his place. 3 at a push. (I dont think Ederson is a better keeper..but his distribution is better than any keeper ive ever seen, with the possible exception of Chilavert and Neuer, so it would be a swings and roundabouts thing)

but its the "he's losing it" statement that is over the top.

Lets put it like this:
Two keepers face 100 shots in a season
Neither keeper makes any handling errors re crosses, corners etc, and distribute at 100%. no penalties conceded.

Keeper A saves 95 shots but is directly responsible for the goals conceded on the 5 he doesnt save
Keeper B saves 80 shots but can't be faulted for the 20 that go in

Keeper A is clearly the better goalkeeper

as far as signing a new keeper goes, I agree 100%. Lloris is 31. we should assume that we need to look at shipping him on by 35, so you need a replacement in within the next 2 years. i doubt is its gazzanigga myself.

I said he was worse in that 'department' - he has better reflexes than alot of keepers. But shot stopping should be the absolute last attribute you look at when judging (or buying) a goalkeeper.

I said he was worse in that 'department' - he has better reflexes than alot of keepers. But shot stopping should be the absolute last attribute you look at when judging (or buying) a goalkeeper.
which is, of course, the reason that Bravo got replaced.

Hugo was ranked as the world's 8th best keeper last season ... he's about to captain one of the favorites in the World Cup ... he's been an exemplary captain for us on and off the pitch ... he plays behind an established defence that have achieved a top three 'goals conceded' record for the last three years ..... yet he needs to go?

Who are you going to replace him with? Oblak, Courtois, De Gea ... dream on ....

Sure develop a number two, but get rid of a world class keeper who still has at least 3/4 top years in him ... mad

Hugo was ranked as the world's 8th best keeper last season ... he's about to captain one of the favorites in the World Cup ... he's been an exemplary captain for us on and off the pitch ... he plays behind an established defence that have achieved a top three 'goals conceded' record for the last three years ..... yet he needs to go?

Who are you going to replace him with? Oblak, Courtois, De Gea ... dream on ....

Sure develop a number two, but get rid of a world class keeper who still has at least 3/4 top years in him ... mad
Couldn't agree more.
If all those suggesting he should be replaced NOW come up with a name ?
A name that we could sign and would come to us, not a wish list, then it could be considered.
Until then get behind him.

Our best 'keeper since Jennings too. (I never rated Clemence when he was with us).
Yep, had to think for a bit there. The only name I could come up with was maybe Robinson (Nah) also had a soft spot for Erik the Viking.

Edit: Just looked on the official website at former players and Erik isn't there ?

he's been an exemplary captain for us on and off the pitch

Yeah, I don't think the importance of having a prime-age player who could have easily moved to a "bigger" club as the vocal leader and captain of the team and public (and presumably private) advocate for the Poch/Levy project can be overstated.

Plus I still rate him as a keeper, his poor couple of months in the middle of last season notwithstanding.

Back
Top Bottom