January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fuck Bale, but Jovic is not a dislikable idea to have around. Three years ago he was "Vlahovic".
According to this Real M. site Jovic hasn't done as bad as many believe but, yes, 2 seasons ago he was the next "big thing" after he went to Real M... For, say, £20-25m I'd also be willing to take him as understudy striker

Talk of bringing in an new cb. We’ve currently got 6.

Who goes ?

Few things here -

1) If we play 3 at the back, I think we do actually need 6 or even 7 when they are dynamic in terms of positions they cover - like Tanganga and Davies.
2) We look very likely to wave goodbye to Rodon - he has only 54 minutes played under Conte, and to be honest I don't see that gaffer would trust and rate him too much
3) Temporarily we can have more CBs than we need at this moment - to try some options out and see who swim, who sinks. For example it could be possible that we don't sell anyone and bring in another player (assuming we can fit into HG quota) and then look who could we move on in the summer.
4) Well, I still say that Romero has played 500 minutes of EPL football, if his performances in 2nd half of the season and coming back from injury are dodgy and generally our defense will do well, it is possible that we'd be looking to back off from paying cosmic amounts for him.

I know some of you will lambast me for suggesting this but I would be willing to swap Romero for de Ligt. Yes, Romero's been injured so the jury is still out on him and I have NOT written him off at all. I am quite that under Conte he'll do well - once he's fit.
It's just that I think de Ligt is a better fit for the EPL and Spurs.

Waitwait... so you say that you would expect Juve would do such swap?
Let's just look at some points between Romero and de Ligt -
- de Ligt 1,5 years younger
- has double the market value
- starting CB in Juve (while Romero was deemed surplus to requirements less than 1,5 years ago)
- de Light worst injury in his career has kept him out of 9 games; Romero's current injury has seen him miss 11 and still counting
- head-to-head last season de Ligt was starter in the same league ; Juve and Atalanta ended season on same points tally but Atalanta still leaked 9 more goals than Juve

I mean, yea. I would swap Romero for de Ligt.
Like I would swap Sanchez for Marquinhos or Winks for Casemiro or Dele for Jota...

- starting CB in Juve (while Romero was deemed surplus to requirements less than 1,5 years ago)
- de Light worst injury in his career has kept him out of 9 games; Romero's current injury has seen him miss 11 and still counting
- head-to-head last season de Ligt was starter in the same league ; Juve and Atalanta ended season on same points tally but Atalanta still leaked 9 more goals than Juve

Like I would swap Sanchez for Marquinhos or Winks for Casemiro or Dele for Jota...
You seriously think Romero is Winks and De Ligt is Casemiro? You don't watch football then, just stats.

Well, I should have pointed that an extra fee would be needed, but as I did not write "straight swap" I thought it was understood - although I disagree that de Ligt is worth the double of Romero.
In fact, de Ligt has struggled in Seri A (to live up to expectations) while Romero has starred and was voted Seri A defender of the season 2020-21:

So you blame Romero for all of the 9 more goals Atalanta let in? Can you please explain that? And, btw, when Hull got relegated from the EPL in 2016-17, they had by far the worst defensive record and yet 2 of their defenders - Maguire and Robertson - turned into 2 of the best EPL defenders. By your reasoning that would not have been possible...
And there have been talks of de Ligt wanting to leave Juve and joining Spurs.

Last edited:
Well, I should have pointed that an extra fee would be needed, but as I did not write "straight swap" I thought it was understood - although I disagree that de Ligt is worth the double of Romero.
In fact, de Ligt has struggled in Seri A (to live up to expectations) while Romero has starred and was voted Seri A defender of the season 2020-21:

So you blame Romero for all of the 9 more goals Atalanta let in? Can you please explain that? And, btw, when Hull got relegated from the EPL in 2016-17, they had by far the worst defensive record and yet 2 of their defenders - Maguire and Robertson - turned into 2 of the best EPL defenders. By your reasoning that would not have been possible...
And there have been talks of de Ligt wanting to leave Juve and joining Spurs.

Nono, chill.

Regarding market value - this is based on Transfermarkt data. I did not make it up on my own, and I agree it might not be 100% accurate. But still, it is something. And I would say that based on the factors I pointed out, de Ligt is more valuable player than Romero.

And no, I don't blame Romero for extra goals. It was just only direct comparison. Of course it is a team sport and no individual can be pointed out to be fault of X or Y.

Regarding de Ligt being interested in Spurs - that is 100% new news for me, though I try to keep tabs on the rumors. But of course something can escape me. Do you have any credible source to share regarding that news.

He is lazy, Conte would never want him.
TBF. People also said that Lukaku was lazy and would not work under Conte.

I think that it is fairer to judge it on a case by case basis than to say that all lazy players would not work under Conte. Some will end up listening and improving.

Not saying that we should go for Martial, just pointing out that other lazy players have turned it around under him.

According to this Real M. site Jovic hasn't done as bad as many believe but, yes, 2 seasons ago he was the next "big thing" after he went to Real M... For, say, £20-25m I'd also be willing to take him as understudy striker

This was a really interesting read. Jovic seems to be doing everything correctly with positioning, runs etc etc. But just having shit luck in front of goal (like the highlighted goal against Bayern were Kamada just pops in and scores from the same spot as him).

EDIT: I had actually completely missed that he has such a good passing range. I would definitely be interested in Jovic on loan.

Last edited:
I know some of you will lambast me for suggesting this but I would be willing to swap Romero for de Ligt. Yes, Romero's been injured so the jury is still out on him and I have NOT written him off at all. I am quite that under Conte he'll do well - once he's fit.
It's just that I think de Ligt is a better fit for the EPL and Spurs.

Here's an idea.

No.

Agreed why would we ever want bring bale back 500 grand a week for minimal effort. spot on jovic was best in the world a few years back hence signre for real. Vlahovic looks way too slow and not mobile for the prem.

from The few games I have seen McKinnie would be a good signing.
It's a myth he is on £550k per week. (See what I did there..)
Most of the authoritative (sic) sources have him on about £300k and that his wages last year were subsided.
As a guess I think we would pay £150k.

Nono, chill.

Regarding market value - this is based on Transfermarkt data. I did not make it up on my own, and I agree it might not be 100% accurate. But still, it is something. And I would say that based on the factors I pointed out, de Ligt is more valuable player than Romero.

And no, I don't blame Romero for extra goals. It was just only direct comparison. Of course it is a team sport and no individual can be pointed out to be fault of X or Y.

Regarding de Ligt being interested in Spurs - that is 100% new news for me, though I try to keep tabs on the rumors. But of course something can escape me. Do you have any credible source to share regarding that news.

Transfermarkt normally under-price players

I am not claiming that any news outlet is credible of course but several of them had a stories about Spurs wanting de Ligt....

Back
Top Bottom