January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No your wrong he is correct the points and performance against Liverpool highlighted this. How ever scant his intrest in Ndombele Locelso Dele,they were useful in an emergency . No one rational uses their utter lack of intrest in their fire extinguisher 99.9% of the time as reason to dispense with it. I said it at the time Levy's triumph over the fan base was people talking about the wage bill when we markedly weaken the playing options the coach had. I fear for this fan base its been completely gaslight!!!

But your point about deflection on the back of defeats that he tactically has some culpability in is well made.
So if Conte had said, “I’d like to keep Ndombele around - he’s a useful fire extinguisher”… you think he’d be out on loan right now?

Serious question

So if Conte had said, “I’d like to keep Ndombele around - he’s a useful fire extinguisher”… you think he’d be out on loan right now?

Serious question

100% not.

It's so obvious Levy shipped TN, GLC & Dele out through gritted teeth.

Last edited:
When Conte was talking about never expecting four 'important' players to leave in the Jan window, I think he might have been talking about when he first joined the club. But I'm sure he must have wanted them gone after christmas because no way would Levy ship them out without his approval.

How many top four level players were available during the window?
Two.
Vlahovic. Went to his club of choice even as Woolwich offered more money.
Diaz. Went to his club of choice that have courted him for a year and that he was expected to join in summer.
If you want to include Traore then he went to his club of choice in his native country and whose academy he attended.

How many of our rivals for 4th improved during this window? It’s not as if they were all thinking ‘we’re good enough as is’ and twiddling their thumbs.

So, on to the outs:
Everyone has agreed that Alli, GLC and TN have to be moved on. The best way to move them on is either a permanent move (Dele) or for them to get playing time and shine. The two loans give us a far better chance of moving them on in summer which is key to our rebuild. Could we have maybe moved on Winks instead of one of them? Maybe — but you can’t force players with contracts to go anywhere. Remember David Bentley. These guys had lost the trust of the manager, were on some of the club’s highest wages and were only going to play in an emergency or when games had been decided.

Bryan Gil is an odd one. I don’t see how a move back to Spain is likely to help him as an EPL player in the long-term but we’ll find out what the club has in mind come summer. However, it was a straight loan with no option.

So, half the fanbase that piss and moan about what the club did in January would have moaned more if we did nothing.

Just to add, I thought we had a poor summer window and got crucified on another board for daring to suggest as much. I’m happy to give the new management structure another summer window before I make up my mind — even then, what choice do I really have.

When Conte was talking about never expecting four 'important' players to leave in the Jan window, I think he might have been talking about when he first joined the club. But I'm sure he must have wanted them gone after christmas because no way would Levy ship them out without his approval.

Are you not familiar with Daniel Levy?

Levy doesn't like losing money.

I agree which is why he is happy he got rid of 4 guys and doesn't have to pay or replace their wages by bringing in replacements.

If it means we can't play 3-5-2 who cares, because Levy can save a few pounds for the next 6 months.

I agree which is why he is happy he got rid of 4 guys and doesn't have to pay or replace their wages by bringing in replacements.

If it means we can't play 3-5-2 who cares, because Levy can save a few pounds for the next 6 months.

Oh shhhh, FFS!

Conte had already binned 3 out of the 4 of them off.....

This gymnastic rubbish is a new level of BS.... Even for you!

💩🤡

A big red flag regarding our scouting is the lack of consistency throughout our targets, we clearly don't look at the side/squad and identify a type of player to look for, we are entirely reactionary and dependant on opportunities arising for us.

We need a right wingback, so the club attempts a move for an erratic winger at Wolves to shoehorn into the role, coincidentally his contract was winding down.

We attempt to sign a pacy winger/forward in Diaz who generally plays on the left, and when that falls through is our alternative remotely similar? No, it's Kulusevski, a one (no) paced left footer who generally plays on the right, who coincidentally Juve can't wait to get rid of.

Does anyone at the club have an ounce of common sense? It's as though the scouting department have just gone on football manager and filtered the transfer targets as AM(R/L), without bothering to go the extra mile and filter attributes too...
Our scouting and recruitment is , and has been for several years , a f…..g mess!!

Serious question
You can interpret his latest utterances on the relative merits of his squad as saying EXACTLY this..... Serious answer. Its clear he did not think four were going out and two untested EPL players were coming back. Whatever why you dress it up its an epic fail on the part of the recruitment team.

100%

The greedy bald cunt even wanted PSG to pay full wages for Tanguy which is unheard of in short loan deals

This had nothing to do with vision just saving a few bob

Reflecting on this I would give Spurs a 7/10 for the January transfer window. Both Kulu and Benta are big upgrades on what we had. The only real negative was the RWB which definitely needed an upgrade but we got shafted by Barcelona on this.

Good business. I would struggle to think of an EPL club with a better window, maybe Liverpool with their nabbing of Diaz for a song but there had an air of inevitability to that rather than a strategic decision.

Reflecting on this I would give Spurs a 7/10 for the January transfer window. Both Kulu and Benta are big upgrades on what we had. The only real negative was the RWB which definitely needed an upgrade but we got shafted by Barcelona on this.

Good business. I would struggle to think of an EPL club with a better window, maybe Liverpool with their nabbing of Diaz for a song but there had an air of inevitability to that rather than a strategic decision.
It's a 10/10 from me just for getting rid of Ndombele. :rolleyes:
But seriously, I doubt we could have done any better with the incomings, a decent loan for Gil, who ain't ready for the EPL, and also slipping off GLC.
Could have done with a new CB so 8.5/10.

Back
Top Bottom