Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We are shit, do try and keep up.

We were shit since last January, but you’ve only cottoned on from the last 11 games.
When the new manager gets a chance to rebuild the squad that Poch put together and then sucked the life out of, we’ll be fine.

If you want to write him off after two days of his first transfer window, that’s up to you

We were shit since last January, but you’ve only cottoned on from the last 11 games.
When the new manager gets a chance to rebuild the squad that Poch put together and then sucked the life out of, we’ll be fine.

If you want to write him off after two days of his first transfer window, that’s up to you
Again you lie!!! I have maintained we've been shit under Poch. There are numerous posts that attest to this.

I wrote Jose off before he managed his first game, that's because I think he's a has been. I'm on record as saying this. NOTHING I've seen yet has put that claim under threat of looking remotely stupid. I absolutely prey and hope that Jose stuffs those words down my throat.

Again you lie!!! I have maintained we've been shit under Poch. There are numerous posts that attest to this.

I wrote Jose off before he managed his first game, that's because I think he's a has been. I'm on record as saying this. NOTHING I've seen yet has put that claim under threat of looking remotely stupid. I absolutely prey and hope that Jose stuffs those words down my throat.
You maintained we were shit under Poch but blamed everyone but Poch.
Jose, working under the exact same parameters and restraints without a penny spent on a single player though, and you’re all about the “told you so”

Because 2000 minutes (roughly 20 games) in two years is a massive waste of money to pay somebody
Narrow minded view.
How much his goal in the CL semi made £ for the club?
He got us top 4 too last season, scored and assists, how much is that worth £ for the club?
He always delivered, he scores goals, that is his job. With him we have more chance for top 4 this season. How much £ loss for the club if we don't make top 4 this season?

Where is his replacement, Kane back up when he is injured? Neither Son, Lucas or Dele are srikers and they can't do his job.

I am sure you are nice guy in real life, it's just I don't have time replying to your replies, far too busy and got better things to do tbh. Nothing personal.

Narrow minded view.
How much his goal in the CL semi made £ for the club?
He got us top 4 too last season, scored and assists, how much is that worth £ for the club?
He always delivered, he scores goals, that is his job. With him we have more chance for top 4 this season. How much £ loss for the club if we don't make top 4 this season?

Where is his replacement, Kane back up when he is injured? Neither Son, Lucas or Dele are srikers and they can't do his job.

I am sure you are nice guy in real life, it's just I don't have time replying to your replies, far too busy and got better things to do tbh. Nothing personal.

My point was that why would the club keep him or replace him when it had spent 34M on back up strikers that were never used

My point was that why would the club keep him or replace him when it had spent 34M on back up strikers that were never used
If you're referring to Jansen and Co, because they weren't good enough, he is playing in the South American Mexican league (SAML), not Europe not China.

I just got a notification on my phone from ESPN. It says does Mourinho offer anything more than a good quote.

Cheeky bastards.

You maintained we were shit under Poch but blamed everyone but Poch.
Jose, working under the exact same parameters and restraints without a penny spent on a single player though, and you’re all about the “told you so”
Again you make shit up, why do this??

Poch bears some responsibility, he's the manager, I've listed loads of issues that there were with him, I've also balanced those with the context around him and what he was working with that were outside of his control.

Has it angered you that what I predicted we would see from Jose before he played his first game has so far come to bear? Maybe what I say has some credence then? I haven't once made any absurd or outlandish statements about him, many of my thoughts are shared by other posters and other Spurs fans further afield than on here. Many other sports journalists have also expressed similar views but have expressed them far more eloquently than me as is testament to their profession.

I want him to be a success with every fibre of my being because I'm Spurs. But I think he's a "has-been" and not capable of having us play football they way did under Poch a couple of seasons ago, and I feel that is important so that we can maintain competing with the teams at the top of this league again. (The position on where you finish is the only true parameter of how good you are).

He hasn't improved how we play and there are worrying signs that were are getting worse, certainly, his teams own performances are worse by comparison. Here's hoping it's an adage that this got to get worse before it gets better, but without the presence of a pattern of play to ur game it's anybody's guess as to what he's working on trying to achieve.

If you're referring to Jansen and Co, because they weren't good enough, he is playing in the South American Mexican league (SAML), not Europe not China.
Ahhh not good enough....yet Poch personally called Llorente to sign him.

So he picks a back up striker, who just scored 15 in the PL, gets backed to the tune of 15M then decides he’s not good enough to play even 20 seconds while Kane is fit.

Ahhh not good enough....yet Poch personally called Llorente to sign him.

So he picks a back up striker, who just scored 15 in the PL, gets backed to the tune of 15M then decides he’s not good enough to play even 20 seconds while Kane is fit.
The guy had the mobility of a fridge. How many PL goals did he score for us? One?

Jose would have loved Llorente in the squad, with long balls he would have been ideal. I still can't understand the logic the club didn't give him another year contract, even worse no replacement.

Absolutely ridiculous

Even for someone experienced like Jose, this job is too much for him

1- his style of football will never sit well with the fans, even if we are winning. Now when we are in a downward spiral the pressure and discontent from the fans won't take long to make itself known

2- he needs to buy players, top players, but hasn't got the financial backing required.

3- this squad is mentally and physically shot, they have nothing left to give after 5 years under Poch

4- unfortunately Jose's tactics are outdated. Younger managers will outwit him. The game is moving on all the time

Imo Levy will sack him at the end of the season and revert back to the young innovative manager option, the new Poch/AVB
Perhaps he wanted mourinho to win a trophy somehow to rid of the tag and then bring back poch???

How the fuck is Pochettino in the same bracket as Pep and Klopp? Come on mate Jesus Christ, get a grip.

If he has won the stuff they have won in the next 15 years maybe he can go in that top bracket but managers are judged on what they have won, not how many fucking finals they have been to or how great their style of football is or how fantastic they are at working within a budget.

Poch has won nothing, therefore he should be nowhere near that bracket.
That's my list, my criteria on who I think is an excellent "modern progressive manager".

Of course, you wouldn't agree with that list, as you don't even use this criterion when making consideration of potential managers we should be looking at. You only measure the current ability of a manager by their past history of trophies. That list has NOTHING to do with the number of trophies a manager has one.

Please try to understand what is being discussed.

How the fuck is Pochettino in the same bracket as Pep and Klopp? Come on mate Jesus Christ, get a grip.

If he has won the stuff they have won in the next 15 years maybe he can go in that top bracket but managers are judged on what they have won, not how many fucking finals they have been to or how great their style of football is or how fantastic they are at working within a budget.

Poch has won nothing, therefore he should be nowhere near that bracket.
Poch is a great fella and a decent manager but he cannot be put into that bracket of the managers you mentioned along with Jose because as you say he has won fuck all, don't let anyone tell you otherwise unless he wins anything he won't ever be the same.

Well... the situation is s*it right now, not 2 ways to look at it. The way I see it was that Mou was brought in to squeeze something more out of this squad and to give fresh perspective to some of our players. At the beginning it seemed to work "okay" (NB! not brilliantly). But now I am starting to believe that this squad is too rotten to be turned around quickly.

On the positive side what we have seen from Jose this far -
1. There have been players that have shown some progress - namely Sanchez and Alli, at some moments it have looked like Aurier and Sissoko could be added to this list as well.
2. We have shown more counter-attacking football with quick transitions leading us to early-day wins. Something we very rarely saw under Poch of late.
3. We have managed to squeeze out some results (maybe based on belief?)

At the same time some things I expected that would change actually have not changed.
1. I assumed that look from distance will show that one should not use Eriksen unless very-very desperately needed. Yet he keeps getting picked. And even if he gets picked, he absolutely should be banned from taking corners. We have seen over the years that his corners are unbelivably bad and end up on the head of 1st defender at 1st post. Though it's nice to see that other bad apple in Rose has been dropped.
2. He has not managed to make our defense more compact and solid.
3. Many players still don't seem motivated to play for Spurs.

I think the biggest issue is players mental state and motivation. Week after week I see players who don't make this proactive step to meet the ball but instead are passive while receiving the pass. Just standing and waiting. Until defenders step between ball and Spurs player.
And of course there is the clusterfuck that is our midfield. It seems that Dier's condition came as an awful surprise to Jose. With alternatives for DM role are Wanyama (totally unable to play at EPL tempo) and Skipp (not trusted by Jose yet) we don't have decent support to defense and no one to break up the opposit team attacks. It's not better on creative part of CM either- Ndombele pretty much constantly injured. Lo Celso not integrated. Sissoko technically limited. Winks could maybe play against solid DM but we don't have one. Midfield is where you win or lose games - recently we have lost them there.

I still think that situation is better than at the end of Poch reign.
I mean, yea, we lost to Soton away... but may I remind - under Poch we lost to Brighton away by 0:3 almost without any scoring chances.

I actually believe that there will be some actions in the transfer market and with new DM we'll manage to steady the ship somewhat during the 2nd half of the season.

Back
Top Bottom