Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Im born 1985 and I don’t think getting to a final and losing it is an achievement mate. It’s small time celebrating getting to finals and losing. It was a fantastic run, but we won nothing mate. You might not find it prestigious, but beating Chelsea in the league cup is an achievement. It’s a trophy at the end of the day. If we come out as champions league winners and had beaten Liverpool, then I completely understand as not much would of topped that. We didn’t though, we are forever the ultimate losers until this club actually achieve something.
I wonder how Liverpool fans felt when they lost the final against Madrid?

Im born 1985 and I don’t think getting to a final and losing it is an achievement mate. It’s small time celebrating getting to finals and losing. It was a fantastic run, but we won nothing mate. You might not find it prestigious, but beating Chelsea in the league cup is an achievement. It’s a trophy at the end of the day. If we come out as champions league winners and had beaten Liverpool, then I completely understand as not much would of topped that. We didn’t though, we are forever the ultimate losers until this club actually achieve something.
Fair play. I disagree but take your point.

I personally want to see us being good :/ challenging / being successful on all fronts.

I want to win league cups, should make that clear. But if everything else is shit it won’t be enough for me. Hence it isn’t the be all and end all.

My point is that success and progression has to be on all fronts for a manager at a club like Spurs to be seen as successful. Juande is an example of that. And whilst you’re right about the Boyce-Kane example, if Kane had won 2 league cups during his Spurs career but never played in the CL, I’m confident in saying he wouldn’t be here now.

I guess what I’m saying is that winning a trophy alone isn’t enough to satisfy me, I want to see a pathway to building a club that can sustainably win trophies. I had hoped that was what Poch was doing, but I do think he failed tactically at some of the most crucial times.

There just seems to be a notion amongst some fans that they would sell they soul for a sniff of a league cup, which I can understand given recent tough times, but it’s not the way I see things.
I am sort of like you,but also crave a trophy soon.
Bit like the piss head or smoker who want to give up,but has one more drink/fag.

Did you enjoy the CL final last season more than the 2008 CC final?

exactly Sammy. It’s easy for someone to say “ well i enjoyed Mouras hatrick over the league cup final” but that’s not really a comparison. You compare both finals and I can guarantee any sane Spurs fan would of enjoyed beating Chelsea In the league cup final with that woodgate face goal over losing and bottling it to Liverpool in the CL final. Give me a trophy any day of the week over losing a prestigious final. Means shit to me unless we win the thing.

The problem is that great players want both CL football and to win stuff. We can't control the narratives about Spurs that emerge within the media and that constantly evolving register of 'success' you refer to. Personally I'm not that fussed what they say, though I can't speak for other supporters on that one.

I can say more confidently that we can hold onto our best players with quantifiable success. Next season we have no CL for the first time in about six years, so we need to go all out to win a domestic cup or the EL. We cannot turn up our nose at any of them. If we end the season trophy-less and missing out on CL football then I think Mourinho should be judged harshly - he's been brought in to win stuff. I look forward to revisiting these thoughts in a year's time.
I think we broadly feel the same. My point has always been that wining a league cup but finishing 10th isn’t going to be enough for good players. In fact it’s more like to see them leave than 4th and no cup win.

Therefore, it isn’t the be all and end all that it’s made out to be.

We all judge the competence and success of managers with a number of metrics (trophies being one). But no one is calling Graham and Ramos great managers because they won a league cup.

Most of the people that appear to be turning their nose up at a league cup aren’t saying we don’t want to win it, we absolutely do. We’re arguing with the notion that we’d prefer another Juande run to a Poch run because it yielded more silverware.

I wonder how Liverpool fans felt when they lost the final against Madrid?

Disappointed.

But not a single person in this thread said losing in a CL final was an achievement.

They said winning the semi final in the way we did gave us the same feeling as winning the Milk Cup whenever it was.

They also said no one but Spurs fans care when and what we win. So stop worrying about what other clubs think.

Exactly.
Harping on about last season even though 50% of it was relegation form
Sacking the only manager in neigh on 2 decades that had us competing for top trophies based on half a season of poor form when he was managing a stale, underinvested squad which he perpetually pleaded with the ownership to strengthen was a knee jerk, blame diverting decision that was just typical of our cowardly ownership.
Dont be so short sighted Sammy, because deep down you know it’s true.

exactly Sammy. It’s easy for someone to say “ well i enjoyed Mouras hatrick over the league cup final” but that’s not really a comparison. You compare both finals and I can guarantee any sane Spurs fan would of enjoyed beating Chelsea In the league cup final with that woodgate face goal over losing and bottling it to Liverpool in the CL final. Give me a trophy any day of the week over losing a prestigious final. Means shit to me unless we win the thing.
I’m sure running Leicester all the way to January with a title challenge will be better than winning the EL too

I think we broadly feel the same. My point has always been that wining a league cup but finishing 10th isn’t going to be enough for good players. In fact it’s more like to see them leave than 4th and no cup win.

Therefore, it isn’t the be all and end all that it’s made out to be.

We all judge the competence and success of managers with a number of metrics (trophies being one). But no one is calling Graham and Ramos great managers because they won a league cup.

Most of the people that appear to be turning their nose up at a league cup aren’t saying we don’t want to win it, we absolutely do. We’re arguing with the notion that we’d prefer another Juande run to a Poch run because it yielded more silverware.

I agree. I guess the difference between us both is one of emphasis, rather than principle.

Just to add on the managers - I watched a vid on we are tottenham tv ranking the managers. Both Graham and Ramos were elevated from 'dreadful' to 'poor' because they won trophies. Poch meanwhile was quality despite us not winning anything. I wouldn't disagree.

Bit of an epic btw

Start a fresh means not coming in when the team is in 14th , is that really so hard to understand? I’m glad your happy with just getting to a final after all it’s the taking part that counts isn’t it !
You said the way I support Spurs is "half the problem".

How do you support us and why isn't it a problem? What makes you a "big-time supporter" and what specifically are you doing that I'm not that enables the team to win the trophies you crave?

Make this my first day at "big-time supporter" school and tell me step by step how I can support Spurs the right way, the way that you do. Talk me through your match day rituals that will ensure we win trophies. I'm here to learn.

OK then I'll take you at your word, "start afresh" means starting on zero points the same as everyone else. It doesn't mean buying or selling players, you will judge him solely on his ability with this team next season?

Disappointed.

But not a single person in this thread said losing in a CL final was an achievement.

They said winning the semi final in the way we did gave us the same feeling as winning the Milk Cup whenever it was.

They also said no one but Spurs fans care when and what we win. So stop worrying about what other clubs think.
Disappointed.

There’s a bizarre notion that the CL ended that night in Amsterdam.
Had Ajax beat us, should we sit here and celebrate beating City?
No, why not? Because we lost the next game...

Sacking the only manager in neigh on 2 decades that had us competing for top trophies based on half a season of poor form when he was managing a stale, underinvested squad which he perpetually pleaded with the ownership to strengthen was a knee jerk, blame diverting decision that was just typical of our cowardly ownership.
Dont be so short sighted Sammy, because deep down you know it’s true.

It as more fun under Redknapp, Poch peaked with the rest of them the year we bottled the title

There’s a bizarre notion that the CL ended that night in Amsterdam.
Had Ajax beat us, should we sit here and celebrate beating City?
No, why not? Because we lost the next game...

No, you have the bizarre notion that people think it ended that night.

Instead of understanding that people felt the same pride in seeing this team win a CL semi final, the first in its history, in unbelievable circumstances as they did when we beat Avram Grants Chelsea.

Nothing more. Nothing less.

We would all love to win the shitty league Cup again. Its a trophy and for some that means they will stop being bullied by their Woolwich and Chelsea chums.

Imagine next season we go on and beat say for arguments sake Chelsea again in the league cup final or say Woolwich in the Fa cup final. Imagine Mourinho finally brings a trophy we desperately need. That for me would easily top the Moura hatrick in a competition we ended up bottling anyway. I’m not denying the excitement I got from that moment, but at the end of the day i got no satisfaction from the final outcome. The moment I think of that Moura moment, I then immediately think of the disappointment of that final and what an opportunity that was for us. Next season I want that feeling of seeing Harry lift a bloody trophy with this club. League cup I couldn’t careless if people feel it’s beneath us. Work your magic and Get us a trophy Jose!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom