Liverpool vs Tottenham Hotspur. May 7th. Saturday – 7.45 PM.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He isn't a RWB though. He's a right back that's being played out of position doing a fairly good job. I don't actually disagree with a lot of the points, he certainly isn't the best player but we kinda live in a world where a player either has to be amazing or rubbish. You can't just have a standard player anymore. Matt Doherty was someone who has shown that being played in the correct position (RWB) helps a hell of a lot compared to being played at RB. Emerson doesn't actually put in many poor performances so I don't know why it gets built up about him getting rinsed in this game.

I remember when Emerson played his first game against Crystal Palace, he'd only been here for about 3 days and was thrown in at the deep end. We lost 3-0 and he was dubbed the worst signing ever.
He’s certainly not doing a fairly decent job.

His inability on the ball, in terms of both progressing it and passing quality is so bad. It’s not PL level that’s for sure.

He’s a decent 1 on 1 defender, but in the modern day (even as a RB) it’s insufficient.

Regardless, the wing back positions are as important as any in this Conte system, and the reality is Emerson is one of the worst players in the pitch every single time he’s deployed there.

Two hours extra makes zero difference to their recovery. A midday is different….

Does mean they get it under lights so arguably a better atmosphere
Was it requested by the dippers ?

I’ve no idea but if it gives me a reason to hate them more , I’m going to grab it with both hands

Dippers have announced their starting 11 early,, there's confidence for you right there..

y4mH5kLbeweJ2TSJtbtzBoiqik2s6HFHgtJ95-Qa4L5XnR99qWuH1jGCzJNgWxOIZIlLj5b_tsuxg_kSGq82f7IKuXjtvr_nP8pskP6nDJifikoAfXNm-46dI0SRZWnF_zMZ2xh6-f2r4Ogqw-M__H7mgX7UPzXU8ZNSkgbyYukI7Y45uCIAO8Ld-1jDTOLkKAV
Ref not playing? Or bench? Strong bench then I guess.

Only one outcome today. Absolutely nothing to suggest it will be anything but a 2 or 3 goal defeat.

Not defeatist as opposed to being completely realistic.

At out best of 4 or 5 years ago we might have held our own and still found a way to lose, so this has one result and then we see what our remaining games can bring.

Our players need to understand the magnitude of the situation.

CL qualification. Worth £100m

Destroying the dream of a M scousers, fucking priceless.

We could be hero’s to millions
Let the players know it’s a huge game? Do you want us to lose?

We’d be better off telling them it’s a preseason tournament.

Only one outcome today. Absolutely nothing to suggest it will be anything but a 2 or 3 goal defeat.

Not defeatist as opposed to being completely realistic.

At out best of 4 or 5 years ago we might have held our own and still found a way to lose, so this has one result and then we see what our remaining games can bring.
We were comparable to Liverpool in many ways except we had Levy. Liverpool bought proven, in demand players, we bought speculative potentials. When we could be bothered to spend that is. Ironically, with investment, Levy would have got a windfall back.

We were comparable to Liverpool in many ways except we had Levy. Liverpool bought proven, in demand players, we bought speculative potentials. When we could be bothered to spend that is. Ironically, with investment, Levy would have got a windfall back.
This is a main frustration of mine with Levy. With his mindset for the club, surely he can see that the better we perform, the richer he and his shareholders get. Bizarre it is that he seems to have not figured this one out yet. Must just be all about the assets.

We did eventually buy "proven" expensive players but they were complete duds, and even our speculative buys were duds.

They got VVD, we got Davinson Sanchez -- expensive flop
They got Robertson/TAA, we have our full back merry go round -- cheap(ish) flops
They got Fabinho/Thiago, we got Ndombele, Lo Celso, PEH -- both expensive and cheap flops
They got Diogo Jota, we got Bergwijn -- cheap flop

Then of course you've got the likes of Rodon and Jack Clarke that are barely warm bodies as far as the team is concerned.

It's not so much about how much we spent, but that we essentially didn't have a big success in the transfer market from Son to Romero. That's probably 20+ new players and not one worthy of succeeding the players we lost.

Possibly. Too easy to bash Levy and blame him in for our so called speculative punts.

It would be very easy to say that would have been what Alli and Bale were, and they did okay...

Yes, we could have spent more. Possibly every club could say that but it's maybe also the fact we have not been a club that have provided any kind of examplw on the field.

As much as anything it's the lack of leaders that have seen the two clubs go on near polar opposites.

Absolutely dreading Emerson v Mane/Diaz/Jota

Unfortunately there are no other alternatives, Lucas is worth a try there at some stage in my opinion but not at anfield

Wing backs simply must be our priority in the summer

A draw would be pretty ok for us as it will leave us 3 points behind the scum going onto the NLD, which ofcourse we must win else its all moot anyway. The problem is you cant play for a draw there like everton, sooner or later they break you down and then you just cant flick a switch and start attacking. we have to go hell for leather and hope to score a couple, accepting that they will reply on the other end. thats whats worked the last few times we have drawn them .
Good points about not waiting to get on the front foot. Coaches naturally want to keep control of games so you're in it during the last 20 minutes, but this game is probably won or lost in the first 20. Getting the first goal is going to be very important and that means being aggressive early which is not something Conte would normally be inclined to do. I don't think you defeat Liverpool being cautious.

The person you're replying to is a Conte hater, he's never liked him.

Conte may deserve some cricitism for the matches we don't win and games we are poor in, I think that's fair but the only reason we're in the shout for top 4 at this stage is because of him so he has credit in the bank, I said before if Pep or Klopp came in at the same stage Conte came in they'd struggle to get top 4 with this team equally as much as Conte if not more because the squad is average.
Exactly this. And remember how inconsistent those two sides were in the first year or two? It takes time and building the squad to make it work. Klopp and Pep have now been at the helm 5+ years . The money they have spunked clearly helps but so does the longer term vision. Conte winds me up at times but give him time

“It is obvious rule that who are shit to begin with will remain shit.”

This is exactly what I’m talking about. Your practical football knowledge must almost be zero to say that.

So for instance Salah and De Bruyne at Chelsea?
Bale at Spurs? Should have got rid of him to Forest when we had a chance? Start badly - sell immediately!!

Fuck me man!! This is what I’m talking about.

There is no “obvious rule” in a football players development.

People over-estimate their knowledge/insight and in turn theorise all sorts of of bollocks.

Had someone here arguing with me the other day that players can't improve on a technical level after aged 17/18.

Blatant nonsense.

If we had played in the Champions League on Tuesday night and then home today, do you think we would be playing at 1230 or 745?

Tbf, the dippers played a 12.30 following European duty a few weeks back.

I suspect the 7.45 is just about milking TV numbers.

Back
Top Bottom