Maradona

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Weren't Napoli doing a PSG in the 80s. Pretty sure someone debunked the myth that Napoli were a 'poor' team at the time they won the league.

It is still a great achievement regardless. It would have been like Newcastle being bought by those Saudis and become one of the riches clubs in the country and signing Messi.
Absolutely.

Napoli had been purchasing good talent for a few years before Maradona.

Maradona was like their Aguero. Before that Napoli had been like City buying the likes of Elano and Robinho in comparison. Maradona marked when they started spending more wisely.

The idea Napoli were nowhere before him is a myth. It's like saying Liverpool were nowhere before VDV.

Ah but Napoli were still up against giants like Milan and Juve so it's wasn't as if they had zero competition.

Oh and football fans remember who won CL finals but Sports fans remember World Cups.

The World Cup is still the pinnacle of the sport, please don't let Sky or BT tell you any different.

Win a CL and you're a great, win a WC though and your name passes into legend.
It's the pinnacle in terms of gravitas. Not in terms of quality.

We're talking about quality.

Top 5: Pele, Maradona, Messi, Cruyff and then it's really hard to pick.

From a British perspective I'd go for Best but someone in Portugal may pick either Eusebio or Ronaldo. German Muller or Beckenbauer and so on.

giphy.gif
90% of Pele's appearances were in glorified exhibitions and the MLS.

Read up.

This is complete bullshit.
There was Fernando Di Napoli and a young Ciro Ferrara. Apart from those two, there weren't really any notable big names.
Also, the entire squad was Italian apart from Maradona.

Your comparisons and those of your friend who wish to soil the memory of Maradona, well, those comparisons are disgusting and typically English. The pure hatred of the Argentinian. Why does the Englander feel like this?
Soil his memory how?

I fucking love Diego Maradona and have him in my top 3. Higher than any Englishman.

Simmer down.

1zPcWa8.jpg

If only it was real huh.
I know I shouldn't, and I know it's not real etc... but that is fucking hilarious... and the humour is so English!

I can't even think WHICH English footballers' death would generate a 3 day mourning period... Gazza? Beckham? maybe Kane one day...? Even Bobby Moore only got a minutes' silence.... I genuinely can't think of one...
Maybe that's the difference between us, and South American Football! We just don't hold our players in SUCH ridiculously high esteem... we just build them up to knock them down... Fuck, Maradona did all the 'knocking down' for himself, it was totally self-inflicted, the Argentinian people didn't have to lift a finger.... and yet they STILL loved him!

In terms of pure footballing ability I've never seen better. His touch and balance and mastery of a football are the best ever without doubt, plus he had pace and guts and a very strong desire to succeed. I honestly don't think we'll ever see a player quite like him again.

You don’t think Messi is at least on par Steve?

Slightly unfair. He got bang average Argie sides with shit managers to 3 major finals.

Carrying them in 2014.
Agreed he did but didn’t get them over the line

Would love to see Messi play for another side but unlikely with his buy out price

Let's not re-write history. In 1984 the season Maradona joined Napoli they finished 11th in Serie A. 1 point above relegation. The year before that they were 10th avoiding relegation by 2 points.

In the 3 seasons after Diego they finished 8th, 3rd and then 1st.

They'd won 2 trophies in their entire hundred year existence and never won a league title before Maradona. They've never won since he left either.
Yea, I was wrong saying it was before Maradona. It was during. I should have said before their title win.

But they paid a world record transfer fee.

The idea he did it alone is a fallacy though. They had a good squad during his time there.

Back
Top Bottom