Mason's Mates vs Wolves - Sunday 16 May

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

it sounds nice for people that hate Levy but I don't get why Levy would want Winks coming on as a sub late or Sissoko with 10 minutes late. That doesn't raise their value at all.

And if he is shopping guys why is Toby playing and not Sanchez?

Why is Bale playing? There is no resale value for Bale to play. Surely if Levy is picking guys to shop them then Moura would be playing or Lamela with links to Roma/Italy.
You are making good points, but I still can't shake the feeling that something funny is going on.

Just because Levy doesn't seem to have a clue about football doesn't stop him from having an opinion on individual players, etc. I don't doubt that he overrates many of our players, and that's a large part of why some of them have been here too long.

Bale was his idea. Maybe he wants to show us that Mourinho was wrong to leave him gathering splinters. There could be some blame-shifting going on there. Maybe he wants to have a damn good look at him before deciding whether or not he wants to take him on loan for another season. It's very hard to say.

Maybe he wants to remind the watching world that guys like Winks still exist. We heard during the week that he was all set to go to Rangers. I'm not sure when that was supposed to have happened, but it may have been last January. If I remember correctly, Mourinho insisted that we needed him for squad depth, even though he had no apparent faith in him.

Dele's value had gone through the floor. Now we've got people purring over aspects of his performances again, and maybe other clubs will say there is still a player there.

At the end of the day, we will almost certainly have to sell to buy this summer (I don't have a major issue with that), so if we can drum up some interest in these guys, it won't hurt us at all.

You are making good points, but I still can't shake the feeling that something funny is going on.

Just because Levy doesn't seem to have a clue about football doesn't stop him from having an opinion on individual players, etc. I don't doubt that he overrates many of our players, and that's a large part of why some of them have been here too long.

Bale was his idea. Maybe he wants to show us that Mourinho was wrong to leave him gathering splinters. There could be some blame-shifting going on there. Maybe he wants to have a damn good look at him before deciding whether or not he wants to take him on loan for another season. It's very hard to say.

Maybe he wants to remind the watching world that guys like Winks still exist. We heard during the week that he was all set to go to Rangers. I'm not sure when that was supposed to have happened, but it may have been last January. If I remember correctly, Mourinho insisted that we needed him for squad depth, even though he had no apparent faith in him.

Dele's value had gone through the floor. Now we've got people purring over aspects of his performances again, and maybe other clubs will say there is still a player there.

At the end of the day, we will almost certainly have to sell to buy this summer (I don't have a major issue with that), so if we can drum up some interest in these guys, it won't hurt us at all.
Levy's got previous.

Jol said Levy forced him to play Berbatov in an FA Cup game against Chelsea, when he wanted to rest him for the league.

Yea but selling key players and having bad injuries really ruined them. They also tried switching to a back 4 instead of 5-4-1 they played last year and it has been a terrible change for them.
I think it’s more the loss of Doherty.... clearly they’ve been unable to cope losing a player of such calibre

no clearer case of cause and effect will you find

But if it is Levy then why didn't Bale start the final? What benefit does Levy get from Lo Celso and Moura being the subs in the Cup final?

I would not be surprised that in talks Levy has talked up Dele and how he should get more time and that might influence Mason but I have a hard time believing that Levy is writing out the starting 11 and handing it to Mason, and I think Levy is a prick that is way too involved in football decisions at the club.

I think the most likely case is that Mason knows what Levy wants and that influences his decisions, consciously or subconsciously, but I have a hard time thinking that Mason thinks Ndombele should start but starts Alli over him because Levy tells him to. Or that Mason wants to bring on Moura but Levy calls down to say no it has to be Winks.

There’s no point in delving too deep into Mason’s selections, tactics and coaching, he’s only been coaching for a few months and won’t be here after the next two games.

He’s making one or two strange selections and but we do seem to be trying to have more ball. That was a pretty facile win, which was.....nice....but it’s still staggering how many times we were opened up in game we seemingly had total control over. The front four, particularly Son, Bale and Kane cough up the ball then make no or flimsy attempts to help us win it back or slow up their breaks, never track runners.

Lo Celso is now seemingly being added to the midfield “shitlist”, yet another midfielder who would be much better in a CM3 system, being used in a double pivot, so we can accommodate an extra forward bumbler, who will repeatedly cough up the ball, fail to help get it back, making sure our CM2 system gets exposed and we moan about midfielders.

I thought Lo Celso was ok. I wish we would play Tanganga as a CB (instead of Dier) and play either Doherty or an academy RB as RB, Tanganga offers nothing going forwards and is pretty cumbersome as RB.

Didn't mind the subs really.

Last edited:
68d46b33-238c-4a40-976c-8c67db028c45.jpg

M0mfBHc.jpg
How can one not miss that legend

But if it is Levy then why didn't Bale start the final? What benefit does Levy get from Lo Celso and Moura being the subs in the Cup final?
I don't know. Some of these decisions are baffling in the extreme (especially the substitutions), although I understand Bale being on the bench for the final.
I think the most likely case is that Mason knows what Levy wants and that influences his decisions, consciously or subconsciously.
Yes. Exactly. He will be asking Mason a million questions.

My naive (1981) 9 year old self would be happy that Spurs won today....

Unfortunately, the 2021 version isn't allowed to enjoy a win cos xG said we should've scored 1.275 goals per ratio equilibrium, and the internet wants to sell Harry Kane! Plus our manager isn't worthy of some out seems.... yet could do a better job than most!

Where has the JOY gone, in just winning a game and being happy with it?

I know it won't last... it never does.... but fuck me, just enjoy the moment... there might not be too many of them left!!

Better performance today and good win. Traore was a threat but apart from him we contained them well. Despite wanting Rodon to play, Dier did ok. Bale seemed to be able to last 80 mins ok and hopefully play the next 2 matches as well. Dele also played well.
Now just not VAR stopping a spontaneous goal celebration but Sky showing repeats rather than goal action.
However can we win the next 2? We will need to to get in Europa and although expect Grealish to start Wednesday, hopefully we will get over the line. Next Sunday is more of a problem unless Leicester overdid the celebrations and do not need points for CL.

Back
Top Bottom