Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Genuienly the worst player I've seen us buy in my lifetime, he is the only premier league player I've ever watched where I act think most decent Sunday league players I play with could probably do a better job....not even an over reaction

I can see the point of inverted wingers when you have people like Bale and even Lamela who can check inside and curl a great goal-bound shot.

At a stretch I suppose I can see a case to be made for an occasionally inverted wing back who can surprise a defence and ghost in at the far post.

Doherty does neither of those two things.

To say he does nothing is actually an overstatement, he actively hinders forward play on the left as his only option is to turn back and pass back to Winks (last night) or who ever it is, killing all momentum stone dead. As Harrison says above, it must be the easiest thing in the world to defend against.
He didn't make many mistakes last night because he didn't do anything with the ball. He was looking to get rid as soon as it came to him, playing backwards balls and 2-3 yard ones. Utter shit.

He did well tonight. Pleased for him. He’s had a very tough time since he came here. Think he’s a decent enough lad, albeit a limited enough footballer.

He was very good for his level today. Made some good plays and some Doherty plays. Not close to good enough or an answer but nice to see something positive out of him.

The best of our RWB options, unless we are moving Stevie B there.

Doherty should be our 1st choice RWB at the moment IMO... perhaps using Emerson for specific matches against the top 6 where we actually need 5 defenders.

Doherty (like any player), needs a run of matches to find some form.

Oh jeez I'm seeing glimpses of people starting to think "hang on a minute - have we got a player here in Doherty?"

Leicester made him look half decent. Fair play he got himself in the mixer near the end and through more luck than judgement, played a massive part in a goal for us.

Perhaps Conte will remind everyone of the reality of the situation by starting him against Chelsea again.

Absoulte crap as per usual. That second half he gave the ball away inexplicably 3 times in about as many minutes. Wish some would just stop making excuses for the guy. He is dreadful and needs moving on.

I've given him a lot of shit, probably have been one of the most vocal voices in here calling for him to never wear the shirt again, however, in that 3rd goal, it's him that makes a run that catches Cancelo in 2 minds, which gives Dejan enough time to pick Kane out. I believe none of our other fullbacks make that run, not even Reguilon. So, good job Doc.

His best performance for us that I can remember. On another day with a bit of luck he could have had more goals and more assists, he was very dangerous throughout. I’m glad he came off for Emerson as I assume it’s because he will be starting the next game.

Yes, he played alright but let's not get carried away. I'm sure even his namesake, the great Gary Doherty, had a few decent performances.

He still remains a poor player who needs selling - (see the mess he made for his second 'goal') but if he can be a bit less shit and play better than Royal fair enough

Back
Top Bottom