Middlesbrough v Tottenham Hotspur, FA Cup 5th Round, Riverside Stadium, Tuesday 1st March 2022 at 19:55 GMT, LIVE on BBC1

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Holjberg is far from shit. In pretty much every game for us he has the most touches, most passes, most tackles and covers the most ground.

Dier is also not shit. He has been excellent for us this season and we looked like dog shit at the back when he was out.
This mentality of not accepting that shit is shit is going to keep us shit. Most touches and running around is not good enough if theres no quality at the end of it. Also Dier has been responsible for quite a few big mess ups this season and luckily for him faster players like Sanchez (who himself is as crap as dier) cleaned up after him.

We just don’t start games properly at all. We only ever look dangerous against teams that play suicidal football like Leeds and City (in terms of playing to the strengths of Kane/Son).

Conte said as much post-game, if you don’t start with intensity then the opponent will grow in confidence and the game becomes much harder. The first 20 last night Boro were wary, they didn’t play too much and just wanted to size us up. We did nothing and just passed it sideways, they won some tackles, the crowd started to believe and then they took control and we disappeared from the game. Yet again we had a first half without a shot on target. Just not acceptable and down solely to a lazy mentality. The players seem to think they can win without creating any chances.

Obviously we were really tired last night and injuries and squad depth really hurt us, but if you’re tired then go big in the first phase of the game and try and wrap it up early. Instead we seemed to try and conserve energy and when Boro went through the gears we couldn’t match them.

This picture tells you all you need to know about Emerson Royal as a footballer...

Screenshot-2022-03-02-101145.jpg

At this point we should never play a "smaller" team ever again.

We always fail to show up. Always.
We fail to turn up against plenty of the 'big teams' too!! So at least we're consistent!!

In fact, it's only really Man City we've had any joy against this season... They must DESPISE us!

We've done to them what Burnley, West Brom etc have done to us in the past.. A pesky little annoyance that just seems to have their number!!

I knew we were gonna get beat when Romero was walking with the ball at times.

Slow play doesn't suit us. We need to move it quickly. Too many times last night we made the inexplicable choice to slow things down.

It really pisses me off.
It's like the thick cunts are contractually obliged to work it back to the cbs/gk as soon as we happen to gain possession, before they are allowed to even think about maybe mounting an attack.

We just don’t start games properly at all. We only ever look dangerous against teams that play suicidal football like Leeds and City (in terms of playing to the strengths of Kane/Son).

Conte said as much post-game, if you don’t start with intensity then the opponent will grow in confidence and the game becomes much harder. The first 20 last night Boro were wary, they didn’t play too much and just wanted to size us up. We did nothing and just passed it sideways, they won some tackles, the crowd started to believe and then they took control and we disappeared from the game. Yet again we had a first half without a shot on target. Just not acceptable and down solely to a lazy mentality. The players seem to think they can win without creating any chances.

Obviously we were really tired last night and injuries and squad depth really hurt us, but if you’re tired then go big in the first phase of the game and try and wrap it up early. Instead we seemed to try and conserve energy and when Boro went through the gears we couldn’t match them.
Hit the nail on the head. Why did we start in that manner? I thought we looked slow and laboured from the first minute of the game.

Just basically conceded the initiative in the game from the first whistle and allowed them to grow into it. Management sets the team up to play in that fashion. We should have been all over them from the start.

Hogberg, Dier are known to be shit, and the new ones get some time to prove themselves but havent done anything great yet. So...yea it is levy's fault.
New players for us tend to look best in their first few games, then they get dragged down to the same level as the dross that makes up the majority of our squad. So for Kulu and Bentancur it's most likely all downhill from here.

You need most of your players to be good quality to raise the game of a few that might not be up to scratch, like when we had Lloris, Walker, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Dembele, Eriksen, Kane and were able to get away with fielding players like Davies and Dier, and Dele was made to look like a superstar.

We now have the total inverse of that situation.

It's like the thick cunts are contractually obliged to work it back to the cbs/gk as soon as we happen to gain possession, before they are allowed to even think about maybe mounting an attack.
Its so frustrating.

I'm not someone who hates on players but I can see why Winks gets the stick he does. He seems to make up his mind on a 'safe' pass before he gets the ball. I was shouting at him loads last night just cos he didn't even seem to be looking around at what was on.

There were progressive passes on but no-one seemed to want to try them and he was the worst culprit.

How embarrassing to have changed formation mid-game from 5 atb to try and win against a Champo side, to then have to revert back to try and hold out for the draw, to then fail to even achieve that...

:contehandshead:

dier sucking at it is better than playing a little cunt whos going to kill us.

the fact youre even questioning who should play over winks tells me you dont understand how damaging and how shit the little cunt is.

hes killing us! anyone else you choose to play in there would be a better option, they dont need to be a CM they just need to be a footballer. hes not even a passenger, the cunts fucking KILLING US

It's pointless to complain about our current situation. That window of opportunity has gone. Fans wanted Poch's blood and the got it. They got Jose and we happy for getting a world class manager. We were No 1 on the log all was Great unitl we started loosing. Same Coach, Same style of play. Then they called Jose "The Anti-Football" and demanded his head. He was let go even though we were within spitting distance of a possible trophy. We waited 70 days and Nuno was hired. The Fans Never wanted that one. Quick in and out for him. Then we got Conté. The serial winner. Everyone was buzzing. It has to be now or never. Bliss, two months of wins and even Winks had become a baller. Today? Same Crap as before. No Backups, no creativity and shitty football. What has changed and what has remained the same? Bad transfer decisions

This picture tells you all you need to know about Emerson Royal as a footballer...

Screenshot-2022-03-02-101145.jpg
To be fair he has to think of their left winger, the cm thats going to make a run and possible the 2 middlesboroguh players that have gone past the 3 players ont he right side. This siutation cant be blamed on him. The rest have fucked up more.

To be fair he has to think of their left winger, the cm thats going to make a run and possible the 2 middlesboroguh players that have gone past the 3 players ont he right side. This siutation cant be blamed on him. The rest have fucked up more.

if he has to think about him, then he needs to be 5yds closer to him, and not playing half of North Yorkshire onside

I don't care what any player says out loud, and I truly believe they think they are being honest, but there MUST be something in their mindset that is telling them "lads it's a champo team". You could see they were a mile off where they should have been.

Preposterous as it is I found myself wondering if the ball being different to the Prem ball was the reason no one seemed able to get it to do what they wanted it to. I actually considered that possibility for more than a few seconds. Because I couldn't believe that, for example the performances we've seen from Kane recently were so far removed from what he produced last night. His control, touch, passing all wide of the mark compared to his satndard.

I'd go so far as to say it was one of those nights where the team should be refunding the travelling fans by way of an apology.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom