New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well they have money......seems a bit shortsighted of them not to have opened a shop in Central London though
Enough to ward off other potential sponsors? I think they'd get outbid personally.

If they're looking for a 'deal', they're barking up the wrong tree :levyeyes:

I'm quite happy with UA. At least they're different and we've had some seriously good away kits. They just need to get an awesome home one going and they'd be one of our best kit manufacturers in recent history.

Without any doubt it will be Some Massive RED logo'd company that will go on the side of the stadium and ruin it.. (if that is possible to ruin something so god damn beautiful)

Question for the day brothers (and I really want you to think about this one too). How often do you think we'll sell out the 61,000? That's is, of course, if we ever sell it out at all!

Question for the day brothers (and I really want you to think about this one too). How often do you think we'll sell out the 61,000? That's is, of course, if we ever sell it out at all!
The bias in me wants to say every weekend but I think it's inevitable that won't happen.

We might get close if we find sustained success* over the next couple of years and we pick up more fans because of it.

*A couple of top 4 finishes would no doubt help gain additional exposure for the club and new fans to boot.

I think most weekends for prem games, European games will be hard unless in CL, and cup games depends who we are playing..

im sure Levy and co have done enough research to be sure we can fill it most wkends rather than waste money building a stadium we wont fill.

Derbies and possible Champions League games could well be sell outs. There are well more than 61,000 Spurs fans in London let alone the home counties as well. Combine that with a reduction or at least the provision of somewhat cheaper ticket prices. Sprinkle in some better transport infrastructure to make leaving the area far easier and I think the demand will be there to be well in excess of 50,000 per game.

If safe standing becomes a thing for the single tier stand a) Spurs have a better product to sell b) the can expand total capacity to >64,000.

We have the fan base to potentially sell out most of our games, but.....
We have to win back a lot of the fans that have become armchair fans etc.
Cheaper tickets would be a start,plus a decent team.
We are attracting young uns again which is good(Harry is helping with that,as did bale before him).
Under sugars reign, I felt the club took us ,the fans for granted and presumed the flow of new blood would continue..It didn't. We lost swathes of kids support during those years,mainly to that god forsaken shit up the road,but some to the Russian mafia mob as well.
We are also attracting the interest of people new to the area,where as a few years ago they automatically followed that afore mentioned dark side.Which is another positive.
It can be done, but the club has to box clever.

We have never averaged more than 55k a week. Thats was in the title winning year of 51. We also managed 53k in the double year.
Then again Woolwich has never bettered that in their title wining earlier years.

We will not sell out 61k a week unless we win a title or at least are challenging in the top 4 each year and playing CL football.
With Woolwich graham's two title win saw their average attendance jump 13k over 5 years. 23k in 86 to 36 in 91.
In 94 it had dropped to 30k. Wenger came they won and a few more fans were added. Then the Effeminates came along and the 20 odd thousand returnees, newbies, executives, businessmen and glory hunter were able to attend. Serendipity in getting Wenger at the right time and having no problems capitalising on that with their swift build and move ( swift site aquisititon & 4 years from planning consent and opening)
However, from 1980 until 1993 we had been out of the top 6 highest average league attendances once, the same as them. We were about the same in that period, we bettered them trough the 80's, they bettered us when the won the title at the end of it.
We need to be winning stuff playing in CL and the fans will come back, new ones will be added. You see that with City, Woolwich and Chavs. City have gone from having the 11th highest average attendance in 2003 to the 3rd in 2004. They have now been 4th last 4 years. Chavs I think had 2 seasons from 1977 to 2002 when they had a higher average attendance than us. Since then they have bettered us each season.
In 68 we were averaging 42k (4th best in country) a week whilst Woolwich were getting 31k (12th best) 3 years later they win the double and are averaging 40 -43k a week.
There were not more woolwich, Chav or City fans than ours until they won titles.
Anyway, the stadium has to be future proof. If we host the NFL games it will need to be able to hold that many people.
I'd say we will never have 61k each week unless we are in the top 4 challenging or have started winning stuff.
The best we will get is about 45k if we don't. It's as simple as that.

Last edited:
I am by no means an architect or a structural engineer, and was a terrible student in school, but I can't help but wonder if the plans were created knowing that we may not likely be able to fill all 61K on a weekly basis but financially it may not make sense to limit the amount of seats to a more realistic amount. If the 61K seat stadium costs £750MM to build, the reality is that a 50K seat stadium provides 18% less seats but the difference in total construction costs may only be a 5% savings per se.

It's like building a new home. You aren't going to utilize that add-on, bonus room you want all of the time, but the fact is that it is a minor cost now compared to adding it on later on, and you have the space in case you do utilize it. I don't think that management realistically expects us to sell out each and every game, but financially it may provide the best justification based on the costs.

Further to my last rant, what if in 2009, when we first submitted planning applications with a view to start building in 2010, they would have had no problems.
We qualified for the CL in 2009/10, finished a close 5th the next year and if Chavs had not won the CL final in 11/12 we would have had it again.
For a bit of serendipity we could have been building our new stadium whilst qualifying for the CL in 2009/10. The next season in 10/11 reached the QF's of it, and had decent league season, and probably moved in to a new stadium for the start of our 2nd CL campaign in 12/13 after qualifying agin in 11/12.

We have the fan base to potentially sell out most of our games, but.....
We have to win back a lot of the fans that have become armchair fans etc.
Cheaper tickets would be a start,plus a decent team.
We are attracting young uns again which is good(Harry is helping with that,as did bale before him).
Under sugars reign, I felt the club took us ,the fans for granted and presumed the flow of new blood would continue..It didn't. We lost swathes of kids support during those years,mainly to that god forsaken shit up the road,but some to the Russian mafia mob as well.
We are also attracting the interest of people new to the area,where as a few years ago they automatically followed that afore mentioned dark side.Which is another positive.
It can be done, but the club has to box clever.

I think we will sell out PL games and, when we qualify, CL games.

I know I will attend alot more games when I move down south soon, not that that will make much difference!
Unless I pay over the odds on stub hub, tickets are hard to come by
:memeokay:

I think we will sell out PL games and, when we qualify, CL games.

I know I will attend alot more games when I move down south soon, not that that will make much difference!
Unless I pay over the odds on stub hub, tickets are hard to come by
:memeokay:
Not if you buy membership. (I appreciate that most people wouldn't if they could only get to a couple of games).

Anyway most games go to general sale now. That wasn't the case 5-10 years ago. I'd be surprised if we sold out any games except Woolwich with prices structured as they are now.

I am by no means an architect or a structural engineer, and was a terrible student in school, but I can't help but wonder if the plans were created knowing that we may not likely be able to fill all 61K on a weekly basis but financially it may not make sense to limit the amount of seats to a more realistic amount. If the 61K seat stadium costs £750MM to build, the reality is that a 50K seat stadium provides 18% less seats but the difference in total construction costs may only be a 5% savings per se.

It's like building a new home. You aren't going to utilize that add-on, bonus room you want all of the time, but the fact is that it is a minor cost now compared to adding it on later on, and you have the space in case you do utilize it. I don't think that management realistically expects us to sell out each and every game, but financially it may provide the best justification based on the costs.
Liverpool rubbished report that they were pulling out of building a 60k £400m stadium. Then did. They can increase their capacity by 12k to 53 for half that and then add the rest at an unspecified time by redeveloping the other stands.

Also the NFL we have deal means 50k will be underselling. Maybe that was the main fact behind increasing capacity. They can fill Wembley with 80k odd those games.
50k will also be to low to capitalise on any success the club may have football wise.
If half the official waiting list buys a ST that will be about 45 -50 k of tickets sold. Realistically not everyone on the list will buy one. Unless we are doing well.

Back
Top Bottom