New Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Don't underestimate the attraction of the facilities and the experience the new stadium will offer but I agree the likelihood of sell-outs maybe a bridge too far,
at least initially.
ILSpur ILSpur makes a good point in that it's better to build with the future in mind.
Anyway if we only manage 45 to 50k at least that will mean the end of Stubhub...there's always a silver lining...

Joe Clash Joe Clash That's not the norm.

The match I saw was Hertha Berlin vs Bayer Leverkusen (both biggish teams, no?) - the attendance was 44,000 / 74,000.
What year was this, out of interest?

And in fairness, Bayer are not a well supported club (despite being relatively successful). They're seen as plastic as they're owned and funded by Bayer pharmaceutical company. Many in Germany would compare that to City and Chelsea in the PL.

And Hertha, despite being the capital club, are always going to struggle to fill 74,000 every week. Their problem is they've been lumbered with an Olympic Stadium that really does them no favours, in terms of atmosphere or attendance. A purpose built 40,000 seater would suit them far better.

But watching Bundesliga weekly, Joe Clash Joe Clash is right, the atmosphere at most games is far superior to ours, visually and audibly. Flags, scarves and giant banners are relatively normal across the league and even into Bundesliga 2. Not every team is Dortmund by any stretch of the imagination, but most clubs do seem to have a hardcore section of the ground that is absolutely heaving. That has become lost in the PL.

I saw Hertha Berlin and it was not a great atmosphere in my opinion. I suppose the stadium does not help. Apart from a small section no one else made any noise.

Millbanks Millbanks 2011, the match finished 3-3, Ballack was playing for Bayer.
Would've loved to have seen Ballack. Quality player. :avbdamn:

I saw Hertha Berlin and it was not a great atmosphere in my opinion. I suppose the stadium does not help. Apart from a small section no one else made any noise.
Forget the capacity, they probably have the worst stadium in the top flight. Same as Roma and Lazio...they make a hell of a racket but it gets lost in a stadium of that size.

I do worry if there is an assumption that we'll replicate Dortmund, not that that is what you're saying but I have heard a number of people reference them.

We need to establish ourselves with The Club's identity as much as is possible - and to do that we have to make matches accessible to supporters who otherwise wouldn't be able to afford the tickets prices. It is fairly obvious that the atmosphere isn't what it was under Jol (although I remember previous managers not getting his level of support) and the sit down army aren't the type to make us comparable to Dortmund or the like.

I'm blathering on, I realise but the club has to make the stadium a place where all levels of supporter are catered for.

I do worry if there is an assumption that we'll replicate Dortmund, not that that is what you're saying but I have heard a number of people reference them.

We need to establish ourselves with The Club's identity as much as is possible - and to do that we have to make matches accessible to supporters who otherwise wouldn't be able to afford the tickets prices. It is fairly obvious that the atmosphere isn't what it was under Jol (although I remember previous managers not getting his level of support) and the sit down army aren't the type to make us comparable to Dortmund or the like.

I'm blathering on, I realise but the club has to make the stadium a place where all levels of supporter are catered for.

There was definitely something about him that whipped up a crowd (and I hated that 'kin drum). That said, I can remember some very flat atmosphere's under Jol too. The two best atmosphere's in the past 25 years though were under Ramos (5-1 v the Goons in the Carling Cup Semi - especially when and just after Lord Bentdner's oggy went in - the place physically shook) and Redknapp (Taxi for Maicon)

The waiting list is a piece of nonsense. We couldn't even sell out Woolwich at home in the cup. Shocking really.
I agree with you on the waiting list, but the FA Cup has lost a lot of it's sparkle, especially the early rounds. It doesn't help that we have Leicester a few days later in the league.

There was definitely something about him that whipped up a crowd (and I hated that 'kin drum). That said, I can remember some very flat atmosphere's under Jol too. The two best atmosphere's in the past 25 years though were under Ramos (5-1 v the Goons in the Carling Cup Semi - especially when and just after Lord Bentdner's oggy went in - the place physically shook) and Redknapp (Taxi for Maicon)

Don't forget Cardiff at home when Soldado scored. What a time to be alive.

Would've loved to have seen Ballack. Quality player. :avbdamn:

Forget the capacity, they probably have the worst stadium in the top flight. Same as Roma and Lazio...they make a hell of a racket but it gets lost in a stadium of that size.
It was not that they were not making a racket it is just that apart from them no one ever chanted. A mate also noticed this at Dortmund (which he said was amazing). At White Hart Lane we often get the whole stadium chanting.

It was not that they were not making a racket it is just that apart from them no one ever chanted. A mate also noticed this at Dortmund (which he said was amazing). At White Hart Lane we often get the whole stadium chanting.
The West Stand chant? :llorishuh:

Back
Top Bottom