Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Remember his first PL game under Poch. He made good impression, then it was this promising loan to Norwich, good start under Nuno and Conte… But since his injury, and also due to our very good recent acquisitions in midfield area I have general feeling that he will be just 23rd name on our UEFA list, just before 2nd and 3rd golkeepers since we need those 4 club trained names in the squad. With Benta back I expect him to be out of matchday squad unless injury. I keep my fingers crossed that he will prove me wrong, but it looks to me that he is new Tanganga in terms of his role in squad.

I wish we’d have loaned him to a prem club following his excellent champo season at Norwich- I think they were promoted that year, no?

His progress seems to have stalled out big time. Would be nice to get him regular football somewhere but I guess we are up against it with HG requirements and such.

I still like him more than prime Winks though.

Winks-Sissoko was never as bad as SkippBerg

SkippBerg is by far the worst double pivot in the last 25 years
Are you literally shitting me...? Worst in 25 years?

Cast your mind back 25 years and these were our central midfield options that season:
4MF
Germany
GER
Steffen Freund
6MF
Denmark
DEN
Allan Nielsen
8MF
Algeria
ALG
Moussa Saïb
...perm any combination pivots from those three and Skipp-Berg look like Xavi/Iniesta!! (OK, maybe a slight exaggeration!!)

...you've never lived mate!

Albeit it's been better since!

I wish we’d have loaned him to a prem club following his excellent champo season at Norwich- I think they were promoted that year, no?

His progress seems to have stalled out big time. Would be nice to get him regular football somewhere but I guess we are up against it with HG requirements and such.

I still like him more than prime Winks though.
do you really think he has what it takes to be a starter for a team like spurs? i like skipp he gets stuck in but other than that theres not a lot to shout home about is there? hes small and slow, to make up for that you need to be one hell of a footballer when it comes to technique, I.Q and vision and he just aint on that level.

there will be plenty more skipps coming through the academy, the smart thing would be to try to sell them at peak value. we might get 10-15 for skipp....that would be smart business. 3 skipps equals a maddison!

do you really think he has what it takes to be a starter for a team like spurs? i like skipp he gets stuck in but other than that theres not a lot to shout home about is there? hes small and slow, to make up for that you need to be one hell of a footballer when it comes to technique, I.Q and vision and he just aint on that level.

there will be plenty more skipps coming through the academy, the smart thing would be to try to sell them at peak value. we might get 10-15 for skipp....that would be smart business. 3 skipps equals a maddison!
When Bentancur gets healthy he’ll be 5th or 6th choice, I don’t think many clubs have a player of Skipp’s quality that far down the depth chart. Plus he’s young and homegrown.

He doesn’t really need to be starter quality with us having Bissouma, Maddison, Sarr, and Bentancur.

Not every player can be a star, having a hard working homegrown academy lad with a good attitude as 5th choice (maybe 6th if we replace Hojbjerg with some like Gallagher) is a pretty decent result.

When Bentancur gets healthy he’ll be 5th or 6th choice, I don’t think many clubs have a player of Skipp’s quality that far down the depth chart. Plus he’s young and homegrown.

He doesn’t really need to be starter quality with us having Bissouma, Maddison, Sarr, and Bentancur.

Not every player can be a star, having a hard working homegrown academy lad with a good attitude as 5th choice (maybe 6th if we replace Hojbjerg with some like Gallagher) is a pretty decent result.
oh without a doubt. but youve also got to sell these players for peak value. there will be plenty more skipps coming through the academy. 95% of them will be players you move on for decent enough dough and they play at a level or two below. we hung onto winks a couple years too long, we could of got an extra 20m for him most probably.

if skipps happy to be 6th choice then fair enough, but if you can get 10-15 for him then i think its better to free up that sort of cash than have that sort of asset sitting as 6th choice. the best you can promote from the academy cant be far behind and youre 10-15 up!

Funny how you didn't quote all of it and also didn't disagree with it.
Our fans praise things like locality and team support over talent. I'm sure some would be happy if we dragged someone out of the front row and gave them a shirt every week. "proper Spurs boy him, bleeds lillywhite"

there will be plenty more skipps coming through the academy, the smart thing would be to try to sell them at peak value. we might get 10-15 for skipp....that would be smart business.
I think that's the point, Ange doesn't intend to start him now... last few seasons, him & Hoijberg seemed to be our only options... now I reckon Skipp/Hoijberg will be those midfield spoilers that come on IF we need to see a game out, rather than go all out for the win.

To he fair to them both, they came on once we'd scored our 5th on Saturday, did a job, and helped see the game out with minimal fuss.
...although they were on the pitch when we conceded late at the end... but that's unfair on them, 'cos there were (superior) players on the pitch when we conceded first, so that cancels it out somewhat!

3 skipps equals a maddison!
...we can only field 11 players mate!!
:skippwtf2::skipwtf::skippwtf2:

Luckily we don't play a double pivot anymore.

But I'm cooling on Skipp if he's determined to be an 8.

Thought he could be decent as a 6. Not even sure about that anymore. Not in this system at least.

Kid is young though, so there is time.
He isn’t good enough mate. You can see the drop off in mobility and ability when he’s on the pitch. He’s the type of player who does ok in a Conte or Mourinho type style side but not in our team under Ange. If he wasn’t HG and never came through the academy he would never be considered by our support. People who deny that are kidding themselves on.

Back
Top Bottom