Other matches Fred - 2020/21

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bullshit. Controversy hunting is what has brought us to VAR. Game after game, major games being decided by refereeing controversy not football. And the game continually stopped anyway.

Im a season ticket holder, much prefer being at football, but I have no problem with VAR, at least now I know I’m more likely to lose to football rather than a referee or linesman’s incompetence or because we are asking them to do the impossible.

Moaning about the few minutes out of 90 that VAR effects is ridiculous when it’s out of play for about 35 minutes every game.

We’ve now virtually eradicated bullshit offsides, and it will continue to evolve and improve, become smoother and more efficient.
I am saying exactly the same, yes controversy hunting is what brought us to here. I said this in my post(s). We have VAR because of the media, because we have slow-mo replays, because of the lack of football analysis within the media hell-bent on focusing and even fabricating controversy. Year after year of this has made us feel that in every game there are multiple discrepancies that must be addressed now. Multiple takes within the media that the officiating is getting worse when the truth was the complete opposite. Just a tiny % of the decisions were wrong.

The game has NEVER been stopped multiple times for periods of minutes before other than for injuries, injuries still occur so we now have BOTH.

All VAR has done is shine a light onto the fact that most officiating is based on how laws are interpreted. Nothing is cleared up, just the stopping of games going to VAR and witnessing an interpretation of a law that's different than some, who then with the aid of the MEDIA again, fuel the was it wasn't it debate PLUS the VAR debate too.

It's absolute wank and even die-hard VAR lovers have turned and think it's shit.

We haven't eradicated bullshit offsides, in almost every game (like today's) there is something ridiculous BECAUSE of VAR we have these situations, they are drawing fucking lines on a screen, measuring millimetres not even visible to the eye without them, VAR has caused this. This is worse.

Their forwards have midfielder like skill sets, they are probably going to continue underperforming their xG. While we will overperform ours!

Think it was Igula Igula who was absolutely thrashing Brighton a few games ago, while I was bigging them up. Think I'll concede this one.

I was likely too harsh saying I would be happy to see them go as I think as a bottom 5 team that they are they are at least a different style of team which is nice.

My issue with them and moreso Potter, is the overrating they constantly get because of their style. You hear so much talk about what a great manager Potter is and how great Brighton are but then the results are consistently not there, but when pointed out there are always excuses. He has not done any better than a guy like Hughton before him but listening to apologists you would think he has a couple of titles under his belt.

I would be fine with Brighton if people actually saw them for what they were and stopped overrating them. It is the overrating that I can't stand more than the actual team or play.

Fulham got a pen in the 5th minute of 4 minutes of injury time. Lookman tried to panenka it and knorrs it up. Don’t think it even made the goal line.

Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦
Clear penalty missed by referee, that could/should have been absolutely massive for Fulham. OK so Lookman wanked it, but that is the whole point of VAR, football decided by football, not by a referee's blunder. Everyone talking about Lookman's shit penenka, not the ref's shit decision which could have cost Fulham a massive point.
I guess absolutely no one ever talks about VAR being shit, like never, like all the VAR calls are right, agreed with, this never happens. VAR is bang on every game, every week?

The foul on PEH!!! Oh yeah, thats the advert for VAR in full flow, that was worth it, that showed us why it should be with us. Exactly the same when he was found vs Newcastle which but they gave the fouk to Newcastle instead from which they scored.

Llorente’s handball goal, the perfect example of how great it is. The Danny Rose handball in the first leg for the pen.
Only yesterday the pen not given to Utd when Magire fouled by Pickford in the box, then not long after a Utd player taking out an Everton player but pen not given. Bruno not getting sent off.

For every one you cite as a reason to show why we should have it I’ll find you more examples why we should not. That's before we even get onto the facts of how the laws are being rewritten as a direct result of VAR, which include drawing a line on your arm for offsides, none-deliberate handballs are now seen as pens and if the attacker is pushed in the back that caused a none-deliberate handball then why not give a penalty anyway.

If an attacker is fouled which causes him to fall over, then have the ball kicked at him whilst lying on the ground which touches his shoulder, but his team still score from the loose ball but it's dissaloud for the none-deliberate handball and free kick given to the team that fouled him!!!

Yeah, thank God for VAR, without it none of these and many, many, many, many more every week wouldn't be given. It's saving the game. Do me a favour, it's a sham, it does do what it was brought in to do, it's not working and it's making the laws of the game a farse. It's shite.
The system works fine, the people using it unfortunately don't. PEH's foul was clear for everyone in the World to see except the ref. You cannot advocate for that although in fairness the VAR panel should have simply overruled the arsehole and not tried to give him an escape route by telling him to review it.

The system works fine, the people using it unfortunately don't. PEH's foul was clear for everyone in the World to see except the ref. You cannot advocate for that although in fairness the VAR panel should have simply overruled the arsehole and not tried to give him an escape route by telling him to review it.
So you are confirming that VAR is unworkable though as it is run, administered and used by the same people. VAR is nothing than a TV screen showing replays of an incident, they are refs and lino's, they all work on rotation.

It would be a "better" sell to the viewers if the matchday officials at the game used a pitchside monitor if they weren't sure and looked for clarification, maybe call in one or both of the lino's present for their input, but just like PEH's foul I'm not so sure. But rather questioning and throwing into doubt the ref's decision, empower him so there's no potential loss of face, he can use it for his own validation. (Still think this will be shit and slow it all down).

So you are confirming that VAR is unworkable though as it is run, administered and used by the same people. VAR is nothing than a TV screen showing replays of an incident, they are refs and lino's, they all work on rotation.

It would be a "better" sell to the viewers if the matchday officials at the game used a pitchside monitor if they weren't sure and looked for clarification, maybe call in one or both of the lino's present for their input, but just like PEH's foul I'm not so sure. But rather questioning and throwing into doubt the ref's decision, empower him so there's no potential loss of face, he can use it for his own validation. (Still think this will be shit and slow it all down).
In its present state it is not working but the bit that needs to change is the human involvement. The people making the decisions via the monitor definitely need to be better trained possibly using simulated or actual incidents footage until they achieve a required percentage pass level. This being checked at least twice a year.

I agree but I do think there's massive room for improvement in training these people. I have no idea how they qualify to do the job at the moment but it's obviously not working and needs working on.
But again that's based on the assumption that you think for example PEH was fouled but the ref's interpretation was that it wasn't. There is no end to it, nothing changes there will always be contention, VAR doesn't change this.

Back
Top Bottom