Racism in football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jonny Mercer a Tory MP , a former minister , a distinguished ex serviceman is saying Tyrone Mings is correct

So is he playing for the wrong team 😂
Just proves he is a grown up who doesn't let ideology dictate his every thought and doesn't feel the need to always follow the partisan line.

Not agreeing with everything Samispurs is saying but when it comes to Patel and you and a couple of others on here its entirely political, and its entirely about sides.

Mate why are you acting like this is a uniquely English phenomenon?

Do you honestly believe that this is the only place where you can find racism, hooliganism, vandalism, littering or mob behaviour in the entire world?
Every where else is pure and we are the ones with the societal problem?

behave

I can point you to a dozen countries ten times worse than this on all of the above counts and that's just in Europe.

I have to keep repeating this as it doesn't seem to be sinking in with anyone, we are talking about the actions here of a handful of idiots and conflating that to a systemic problem.

We live in England, so naturally we focus on racism in this country as opposed to others. Are you that much of a snowflake that you can’t handle some introspection and self-reflection on the prejudices in our society just because there are some other societies where those prejudices are even worse?

Perhaps it is just a handful of idiots who go to the extreme of abusing BAME players on social media. Perhaps it’s just a handful of idiot Tottenham fans who used to sing the Adebayor song about his dad washing elephants. Perhaps it’s just a handful of idiot politicians in the cabinet who have a history of racist behaviour. Perhaps it’s just a handful of idiotic police officers who disproportionately target black people. Perhaps it’s just a handful of idiotic voters who wanted Brexit so they wouldn’t have to see so many Polish shops on the high street. Or maybe…just maybe…racism is baked into our society at a systemic level. Are we supposed to ignore that just because Hungary or China are even more racist than us?

We live in England, so naturally we focus on racism in this country as opposed to others. Are you that much of a snowflake that you can’t handle some introspection and self-reflection on the prejudices in our society just because there are some other societies where those prejudices are even worse?

Perhaps it is just a handful of idiots who go to the extreme of abusing BAME players on social media. Perhaps it’s just a handful of idiot Tottenham fans who used to sing the Adebayor song about his dad washing elephants. Perhaps it’s just a handful of idiot politicians in the cabinet who have a history of racist behaviour. Perhaps it’s just a handful of idiotic police officers who disproportionately target black people. Perhaps it’s just a handful of idiotic voters who wanted Brexit so they wouldn’t have to see so many Polish shops on the high street. Or maybe…just maybe…racism is baked into our society at a systemic level. Are we supposed to ignore that just because Hungary or China are even more racist than us?
Clint Eastwood Coffee GIF

I read as far as the Brexit part and switched off, sorry don't argue with pea wits.

Just proves he is a grown up who doesn't let ideology dictate his every thought and doesn't feel the need to always follow the partisan line.

Not agreeing with everything Samispurs is saying but when it comes to Patel and you and a couple of others on here its entirely political, and its entirely about sides.
Can’t speak for others, but with me it is not. Not a Jezza fan, I think Starmer is useless, I would personally like to see Blair and Campbell in the Hague on trial over Iraq.
Some things are very simply right or wrong , she is wrong , very very wrong in my opinion

in future don’t tell me what I believe

You are never going to end racism, if you are going to get your panties in a twist every time some moron shits on his keyboard and hits send on an anonymous platform you are going to be permanently stressed, I also wager you are going to have a bleak view of this country which I don't feel is merited.

I don't think drawing so much attention to it does anyone any favours If I'm being honest. I just feel it paints a bleak view of this country and sows further division. I don't think this is a racist country, I mean we definitely were in the past there is no getting around that, and of course a small fringe still are. But that's the point I'm trying to make here, I think its a very small fringe.

The human race will eventually evolve out of such petty prejudices, but for the moment we are simply hard wired to fear change and to fear what may be construed to be different. Same way as eventually we will evolve out of tribalism - though what that will then mean for competitive sports I have no idea as lets be real picking teams is just forming a group identity along tribal lines.

I guess the point I'm trying to make in this ramble is that for the time being there will always be a handful of racist people but lets also please stop pretending this is an exclusively white thing, there are also plenty of racist people of all ethnicities. It's part of the human conditions.

As a half romany gypsy I may be white but I've been on the end of racial abuse myself, I've been called pikey, gypo etc, more times than I care to remember. It's not nice but I just accept some people are fucking morons, I'm not here to change the world and I'm not going to become a victim.

The reason for this ramble is I just find it infuriating when I go online to the BBC, Sky, my MSM feed all I've seen last few days is people focusing on the few idiots who abused the players and the few hooligans who beat up the Italian fans its just all negative all the time. And its wearing me down.

The enduring image I'm going to be left with, is people coming together of all walks of life and all ethnicities singing Sweet Caroline arms in arm like it should be.
This was a great tournament and a great advert for this country.

I'm not going to sweat a handful of knuckle draggers on twatter take that away.
Good post, so many good things to look back on from this tournament, would be a shame to spoil it over some trolls online , I’m in no way condoning any kind of behaviour but as you said when we see groups from all ethnic backgrounds getting behind England it really does show how far we have come as a country!

It's not just the racist tweets though..... It's the Rashford mural..... The 'break-in' to the stadium.... The thuggery experienced by a number of Danes..... The general trashing of numerous town centres and fighting with the local police..... Sadly, that's the postcard our 'supporters' sent from the Euros (to the nation and the rest of the world).

Even then..... There's articles and reports all over the shop about 'Gary's Heroes'...... To suggest that there isn't a degree of balance is simply dishonest.
It’s a shame as it was such a good tournament, yet it will now be remembered for all the shite rather than the community’s uniting after covid to support the team! No chance of the world cup now either in 2030

Ignorance is bliss, I guess.
Nah, far from it.

Pro tip, when you claim that literally 50% of the country is racist because Brexit apart from a few fringe loonies that have to check for racism in the wardrobe and under the bed at night, nobody is going to take you or your argument seriously.

Its kinda like starting a job interview with "oyyy oyyy Cunt"

You're not going to get far

Or maybe…just maybe…racism is baked into our society at a systemic level.
And maybe, just maybe that's a false narrative perpetuated by misrepresentation of events.

See, the thing about introspection is that it doesn't mean: just agree with me. Introspection is an examination of oneself, often with the goal of analyzing a potential character flaw. Sometimes, such analysis reveals that the flaw isnt actually there. A good example of this at a societal level is the persistent myth of the Wage Gap. Economist after economist has examined the issue and found that there is no such gap, to the point where only feminists still present it as a credible idea. Societal introspection has thus revealed that thankfully the perceived problem doesn't actually exist.

If you want to make claims of systemic racism, then give evidence of it. Pointing to what some racist cunts did on their own time doesn't cut it, and neither does simply insisting upon 'introspection' until someone agrees with you.

The reason why this conversation always becomes so difficult is because some people think they can sidestep the actual discussion part and go straight to the accusations of -isms.

Can’t speak for others, but with me it is not. Not a Jezza fan, I think Starmer is useless, I would personally like to see Blair and Campbell in the Hague on trial over Iraq.
Some things are very simply right or wrong , she is wrong , very very wrong in my opinion

in future don’t tell me what I believe
I stand corrected.

Still don't think that Patel did anything wrong though and it is clear that a lot of it is political maybe not from you, but If I've misread your politics I apologise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom