Richarlison

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

When our best finisher today was a defender, you know ALL our attackers had an off day finishing wise.

Son and Maddison took terrible shots. Porro missed a chance but he's a defender so can go easier.

Also think there were a handful of situations where we took the wrong option.

Was just a poor day at the finishing office.

Dunno why he didn't go for that first chance with his head though.
Ditto

We've got him till New Year at least and we need him to start firing if we want to do anything this season.

Ange knows his stuff. He knows whether he's a good fit, and by NY we'll know whether we keep him.

When you look at Ange's record of identifying the right player, and Paratici's record of picking up really good players - I would be very confident that between them they could get the right bod in.

It would be nice to think that Veliz could be that striker, but bit of a stretch.

For me that has been explained now by the image of the pull in his shirt.

The fact he couldn't go with his head because of it makes it a clear pen for me.

However, I had no inkling of the foul when watching so not gonna cry about it.

VAR should have seen it though if they are doing their job.

Well, yeah now we know what happened with that chance.

Won't stop him getting pelters for missing though.

That would have been 2 goals and 2 assists this season for him and more momentum.

With any luck one of the coaches shows him the image.

Club should do a Liverpool and question the integrity of VAR. Demand the audio...

This is a habit of Richie's which I think can be coached out of his game.

1. Ball watching the whole time (no scanning):

Screen-Shot-2023-10-09-at-1-31-58-pm.png

2. Receives the ball while looking at the ground

Screen-Shot-2023-10-09-at-1-29-32-pm.png

3. The poor first touch takes the ball too far away from his body. Poor first touch is often a result of not being prepared how you want to receive the pass (due to lack of scanning)

Screen-Shot-2023-10-09-at-1-30-14-pm.png

4. Lack of checking GK positioning, focusing on the ball (as a pro he doesn't need to know where the ball is in relation to his foot)

Screen-Shot-2023-10-09-at-1-31-02-pm.png

5. Under no pressure strikes the ball off-balance, placing all the kinetic energy generated from his left-peg towards the ground which will cause the ball to trickle towards the keeper instead of hitting it with power to lift it over the keeper

Screen-Shot-2023-10-09-at-1-27-47-pm.png

Last edited:

[breakdown]

Interesting post. It does often seem as though Richie's mind and body are not quite in sync (i.e. reading of the game and positioning), so he takes slightly longer to react/adapt to the play and looks uncoordinated.

I'm not well versed enough to know if those habits/limitations are something that can be coached out, especially as he's now 26. Seems a bit square peg in round hole tbh :richlips:

Interesting post. It does often seem as though Richie's mind and body are not quite in sync (i.e. reading of the game and positioning), so he takes slightly longer to react/adapt to the play and looks uncoordinated.

I'm not well versed enough to know if those habits/limitations are something that can be coached out, especially as he's now 26. Seems a bit square peg in round hole tbh :richlips:

Fair take.

In contrast to the ball at his feet, his body positioning is textbook when heading the ball. However, the lack of wingers with that ability to whip in a cross isn't playing to his strengths.

Can't agree with Vipes_guy on that second chance
the shot deflects by the defenders trailing leg and goes almost stright to the goalies boot, if it didn't deflect it appears to be heading to go in the far corner

Not saying he is a good player, I would not have signed him,
he reminds me more of the school boy players that many clubs still take on
A big kid on the pitch that bullies his way to goal

3. The poor first touch takes the ball too far away from his body. Poor first touch is often a result of not being prepared how you want to receive the pass (due to lack of scanning)

4. Lack of checking GK positioning, focusing on the ball (as a pro he doesn't need to know where the ball is in relation to his foot)

5. Under no pressure strikes the ball off-balance, placing all the kinetic energy generated from his left-peg towards the ground which will cause the ball to trickle towards the keeper instead of hitting it with power to lift it over the keeper

Ignoring the defender getting a touch?

Could we not expect for a player of his experience and price that some of those points you have shown would not have been addressed by now .

Can't agree with Vipes_guy on that second chance
the shot deflects by the defenders trailing leg and goes almost stright to the goalies boot, if it didn't deflect it appears to be heading to go in the far corner

Not saying he is a good player, I would not have signed him,
he reminds me more of the school boy players that many clubs still take on
A big kid on the pitch that bullies his way to goal

He is too focused on the ground/ball and not enough attention to his surroundings.

This affects his first touch which takes him into an awkward part of the pitch where the defender can get tighter on him and he loses his balance when taking the shot.

Could we not expect for a player of his experience and price that some of those points you have shown would not have been addressed by now .

I think the price is unfair. Richarlison didn't ask Spurs to pay that price, Everton did and Watford did before that too.

In terms of experience, he is awkward with the ball at his feet but he is textbook as an aerial threat.

It’s crazy that some on here think that coaching a 26 year old the basics of being a striker is actually acceptable. The only thing players at the age and at that level should be getting coached is structure,tactics and positioning. Richy is not good enough but we need to keep carrying him because he’s going through a tough time? It’s time to move him on for ours and his sake.

Back
Top Bottom