Rodrigo Bentancur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I would back the best Conte side to win tomorrow's game, more than I'd back the side we will put out. It is horses for courses yes. But we've still got a very good chance. Just hope it isn't a replay and injuries fest
It's only fair then that you take Son out of Conte's best side as well then, as he will be a huge miss tomorrow regardless.
Still confident?

It's not fair. It's a direct "Conte's best side vs our side tomorrow" comparison. Agree he is a huge miss
So its not a conte Versus Ange then? Why does Conte get to have his best side and Ange be Missing Sarr and Sonny ? Any way this is the wrong thread for it , still in conclusion I think if we had our strongest 11 then we win tomorrow

Well, that had to be his worst game in Spurs shirt, surely?

I am not at all trying to put this loss on Bentancur alone, or make him a scapegoat. Whole team performance was really poor, but let's face it, Bentancur did not stand out either, did he?

To me this absolutely settles it - our best CM this season so far has been Sarr. He IS ahead of Bentancur as well. I know people will not admit this, cause our Sarr-man is young, but in few years time, people will look back at it and feel bit ashamed. Again - Bentancur is elegant, skilled, strong, wonderful player. Absolutely nailed on starter for us. But Sarr is even better and will improve further.

It's gonna be on Son vs Lamela level debate when Sarr is best CM in the league with Real, PSG, Bayern etc hunting his signature.

P.S out of interest, checked our results in EPL -

Sarr starting - 16 games. 12 wins, 1 draw, 3 losses. 2,3 ppg.
Sarr not starting - 5 games. 3 draws and a 2 losses. 0,6 ppg.

Why do you say that ?

Compare this performance with the Villa performance or even the Utd or Burnley one.

Missing first time passes, playing it safe and too slow, not sure if down to injury or perhaps an off night.

Are we not allowed to ask questions of our players when they don't hit their standards or is that only reserved for the likes or Johnson and Hojbjerg?

What happened to him, he was shite (again)

He isn’t a holding midfielder, he can do the role but it limits what he does. Our only 6 is Bissouma, everyone else in this system fits the 8 role, you need a very specific type of player for the 6 in a high press system, we only have one.

Compare this performance with the Villa performance or even the Utd or Burnley one.

Missing first time passes, playing it safe and too slow, not sure if down to injury or perhaps an off night.

Are we not allowed to ask questions of our players when they don't hit their standards or is that only reserved for the likes or Johnson and Hojbjerg?

Of course you are, provided you're also fair enough to take into account mitigating factors (such as, I dunno, literally just coming back from another serious injury...)

He's played 9 games all season, he was poor in the last 2 and poor against Wolves away, he was excellent against Villa and United and good in the other 4 games he played in.

Gone are the days when long term injured players got reserve game time to get there match fitness back up to some sort of competition level
The clamour for players to be immediatley both physically and mentally 100% on the button on return is ridiculous, not just bentancur , last night you could also see maddison was 1/2 a yard short so to speak.

He isn’t a holding midfielder, he can do the role but it limits what he does. Our only 6 is Bissouma, everyone else in this system fits the 8 role, you need a very specific type of player for the 6 in a high press system, we only have one.

Think that Villa performance clouded people's judgement on his ability in the 6.

Whilst he was exceptional in that game before injury, I don't think he's looked particularly great in that role since. He was excellent against United but he was the 8.

Just think if you put him deep, you lose what he's excellent at which is pressing from the front and as proven at times last season and against United, arrival in the box.

Think that Villa performance clouded people's judgement on his ability in the 6.

Whilst he was exceptional in that game before injury, I don't think he's looked particularly great in that role since. He was excellent against United but he was the 8.

Just think if you put him deep, you lose what he's excellent at which is pressing from the front and as proven at times last season and against United, arrival in the box.

I also think Bissouma’s red cards and couple of bad games clouded people in regards to worth. Bentancur, Sarr and Maddison might be our best players in the middle (possibly) but it’s not our most balanced midfield, it’s like England with Gerrard and Lampard, great players but both 8’s.

We need Bissouma back and we need to buy a player to compete with him so when he is off form or sent off we have a natural sitting player with the right skillset. I do like Tyrese Hall, looks a Bissouma clone but it’s too early for him.

I’m a big fan of Rodrigo as a player but I can’t help but think that Bissouma-Sarr-Maddison is the best choice for our starting MF.

They balance each other’s weaknesses so well. Once we weren’t able to field these 3 consistently, our performances have dropped from the standard set in the first 10 league games.

Back
Top Bottom