Rodrigo Bentancur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Its a cult so some sort of weird public ritual I'm guessing, fuck knows with that lot.

Ah, one of the forum nazis I mean right wingers doesn't see anything wrong in what Bentancur said.

Shocked Season 6 GIF by Friends

Nothing.... It is what it is... But it's not ok now just cos Sonny & Rod are still buddies.

What do you think this "continuation" entails?

So far I’ve only managed to get one real answer which is RB needs to stew in the social media limelight for a bit longer…

How much longer seems to be unclear. How that solves racism is even less clear.

You get to decide what kind of society we live in? And RB stewing in the social media limelight is more of the type of society you want?

Yes, say racist things, get scrutinised. Happy with that society. Not happy with the one you and the lads want to create where you say "soz" and everyone moves on from said racism.

I get to do what I can to achieve what society I want, feel free to do the same xxx.

So far I’ve only managed to get one real answer which is RB needs to stew in the social media limelight for a bit longer…

How much longer seems to be unclear. How that solves racism is even less clear.

The only person here that's said he needs to "stew" is you.

If you're genuinely seeking to understand, re-read the last couple of pages.

Needs to write a full, guts-out apology.

Not an IG note.
I don't know anything Instagram but AG said he released it as a Story so it will auto-delete after 24 hours which seems to imply a lack of remorse and sincerity and wants to quickly move on.

He doesn't need a struggle session but at least own your mistakes.

I don't know anything Instagram but AG said he released it as a Story so it will auto-delete after 24 hours which seems to imply a lack of remorse and sincerity and wants to quickly move on.

Putting it up as a story is fine for me - nobody wants such thing to be a post on their account constantly being scrutinised and commented. But an apology note is so devoid of soul and sincerity. Speak to the camera and record a video, our phones are soooo easy to do that now. Let everyone see the apologetic words come out from that damn mouth that made the stupid comment so everyone knows he really did say sorry, not some text possibly penned from his wife, his agent, or his cousin and wrongly referred Sonny as Sony. The way he responded was a cowardice and brainless (for not proofing the note) act IMHO.

Yes, say racist things, get scrutinised. Happy with that society. Not happy with the one you and the lads want to create where you say "soz" and everyone moves on from said racism.

I get to do what I can to achieve what society I want, feel free to do the same xxx.

Me personally I’d prefer to live in a society that moves past things and isn’t as hung up on race and identity politics. Ideally I want to live in a society where the intent of our actions is considered and we go about putting our energy into tackling people with genuine ill intent towards others because they are different.

Me personally I’d prefer to live in a society that moves past things and isn’t as hung up on race and identity politics. Ideally I want to live in a society where the intent of our actions is considered and we go about putting our energy into tackling people with genuine ill intent towards others because they are different.
He won't understand that nuance I'm afraid.

In the "drawing a line under" / "brushing under the carpet" statement the club say "Discrimination of any kind has no place at our Club". So tell us how the fact that Bentancur is getting off with a public statement of a racist nature and the club's apparent stance on such matters are squared.

He needs to be seen to have been dealt with somehow if "Discrimination of any kind has no place at our Club". And as it stands I don't see he has been/will be.

Personally I don't want for the matter to be dragged out. I just want it to be dealt with properly.

I agree. Until he posts it on Threads and Tiktock nobody can convince me that he's actually sorry.

I just feel unjust for the club now being slammed by many Asian fans all because of a guy not smart enough to have done the right thing in a timely manner.

That’s what I was getting at with my post saying that the Koreans are still unhappy.

I get the feeling that the club/Sonny thought by putting out a statement that it would calm things down. It hasn’t and probably won’t ever do so.

The trip to SK could be very uncomfortable in the next few weeks

Funny thing is South American players really do this often especially against East Asians. For some reason they think they are superior to them as a race because they have closer/lineage ties to Europe. (Especially countries like Argentina & Uruguay).

Under-20 World Cup: Real Madrid's Federico Valverde denies making racist gesture

Last edited:
I've only just caught up on all this. Saw Son's post - didn't see any of it prior.

Then come on here and see split opinions as usual.

However, I think we can all agree...

1) Bents is a fucking idiot and has lost a fair amount of standing with most.
2) He said a racist thing without racist intent but it's not a defence. Most of us would face the sack in the same situation.
3) Son is a fucking mountain of a man.

My hope is that the club are dealing with this effectively in the background. I suspect that if Son, Ange or the club are not happy then we may not see Bentancur here much longer.

If everyone at the club is happy to move on then this needs to be used to educate and Bentancur needs to be at the forefront.

Back
Top Bottom