Ryan Mason

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They don't defend well enough as a 3 either though...

Davies in at lb instead of Perisic, and a functioning midfield 3 ahead of them rather than 3 lads plonked on the pitch together for the first time with minimal instruction, and I'm sure we could cobble together a capable enough defensive unit (and by that I mean no worse in defence than the fucking useless 343).
We don’t defend well in any formation but we have never been destroyed or opened up like we did on Sunday with 3 at the back. We can’t play a 4 against Utd.

I wouldn’t get my knickers in a twist over a comment like that.

Imagine if he said no I’m not ready, just as he’s about to take interim charge, wouldn’t be a great look
I’m not one with my knickers in a twist. In fact, I prefer boxers.

But he definitely could have said something along the lines of “my job as interim is to focus on these next 6 games and set the club up for future success.”

We don’t defend well in any formation but we have never been destroyed or opened up like we did on Sunday with 3 at the back. We can’t play a 4 against Utd.
I don't think the result at Newcastle should just be seen as a huge black mark against 4 atb that convinces us it must never be seen again, I think it was poorly implemented, with a ridiculous choice of personnel and given Stellini's limitations, probably also a distinct lack of preparation.

You can point to the "improvement" once we changed formation, drew the second half etc, but that could just as equally be down to Newcastle being home and dry and taking their foot off the gas as it was the formation change.

Given a bit of time, some actual brainpower put into it, and more appropriate player selection, I think we could be at least as solid with a back 4 as with the back 3.

Probably not the best option against Utd unless we've worked at it like madmen between the two games though you're right.

I'd take Vertonghen back in the squad right now! Toby too for that matter...

Think both would be more or less guaranteed starters even at an advanced age.

They both left cos they couldn't hack it anymore..... Jose was commonly playing Dier ahead of them both.

I don't think the result at Newcastle should just be seen as a huge black mark against 4 atb that convinces us it must never be seen again, I think it was poorly implemented, with a ridiculous choice of personnel and given Stellini's limitations, probably also a distinct lack of preparation.

You can point to the "improvement" once we changed formation, drew the second half etc, but that could just as equally be down to Newcastle being home and dry and taking their foot off the gas as it was the formation change.

Given a bit of time, some actual brainpower put into it, and more appropriate player selection, I think we could be at least as solid with a back 4 as with the back 3.

Probably not the best option against Utd unless we've worked at it like madmen between the two games though you're right.

It does underline that we don't have good enough CBs to play a back 4.

They both left cos they couldn't hack it anymore..... Jose was commonly playing Dier ahead of them both.
Our current lot can't hack it either, I'd take a lack of pace but an abundance of technical ability over lack of ability and not that much pace anyhow, which is where we seem to be at right now.

At the time they left it seemed the right thing to do, personally I was assuming we would be bringing in players to adequately replace them though, that just hasn't happened.

Similar to the Poch sacking, getting rid of them at the time wasn't the wrong call, just the handling of succession has been such a shambles that with hindsight we'd probably have been better off keeping them around.

But he definitely could have said something along the lines of “my job as interim is to focus on these next 6 games and set the club up for future success.”

Hindsight’s a wonderful thing

For what it’s worth, I think he would benefit from having a few years managing in the Championship or League 1/2 first, he probably knows this too

I just see it as him answering a question about the club he loves and cares about, and backing himself in the public domain because one day, he would like it to be reality

Don't be ridiculous. Nothing wrong with him saying he wants the job.

I like the ambition tbh. I, personally, don't think he's ready but that's just my opinion.

It does underline that we don't have good enough CBs to play a back 4.
I don't see that as a valid argument in favour of the back 3 either though. The Newcaslte humping isn't solely down to the cbs, the ridiculous fullback selections and poorly functioning cm must take a lot of the blame too.

All that statement does is suggest that we seriously need to buy some better cbs, which I think we all agree on anyway.

Personally I think employing a 31 year old as a first team coach let alone manager, who used to be a player at the club and who used to play with members of the current squad has to be a rather stupid idea.

Yes, im sure the right man to coach a squad renowned for lacking discipline, courage and which has been lambasted as being too “ooo friends” with one another is Ryan Mason. Everyones best friend. Yeah I’m sure hes going to bench his mates.

They all probably play Fortnite together after training

Sorry state of affairs. Unprofessional. Mason should be a youth coach at most.

The thing is, whilst I don't think Mason is ready for a permanent top job with us, I do think he's good enough to go and get experience managing a lower club. Top youth coach at most, my arse.

I've also seen enough of your posts to know that you know as much about football as harry potter knows about UFC.

So sit down and shut up.

Don't be ridiculous. Nothing wrong with him saying he wants the job.

I like the ambition tbh. I, personally, don't think he's ready but that's just my opinion.
Like last time he took charge, I don't know why people get so worked up over the hypothetical suggestion that if he does really well he might get the job...

Looking at the fixture list, if he won 6/6 then he'd deserve a longer term crack at it. He won't, so we won;t have to find out, but if he did it'd be shit to then usher him aside.

How do these people thing JN got to be such a glamorous name that he's arguably too big for us at the ripe old age of 35???

As Spurs fans we seem to look on at other clubs and be jealous of them taking risks, then we actually do take a risk, or are even just suggested as potentially taking a risk, then we say "oooh, bit risky that, leave that to someone else, let's play it safe...".

Our current lot can't hack it either, I'd take a lack of pace but an abundance of technical ability over lack of ability and not that much pace anyhow, which is where we seem to be at right now.

At the time they left it seemed the right thing to do, personally I was assuming we would be bringing in players to adequately replace them though, that just hasn't happened.

Similar to the Poch sacking, getting rid of them at the time wasn't the wrong call, just the handling of succession has been such a shambles that with hindsight we'd probably have been better off keeping them around.

Romero and Davies(*) are better than what either of them can muster now.

(*).....Still wouldn't want them in a back 4 though.

Back
Top Bottom