Ryan Mason

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Don't really see the problem with Mason staying on. I'd much rather he went and forged his own managerial career for now but maybe he feels he needs more learning and learning under another coach and someone who is a lot different to the likes of Conte and Mourinho can only be a good thing.

Mason seems to have a good bond with the squad and the players respect him. I imagine he'd just be coaching and not an assistant manager though with Ange bringing his own guys in.

I love his honesty and commitment. You can have all the skill in the world, but you will never make it in the professional game if you don't match it with determination and hard work. Its wonderful that we are starting to see the Academy producing a credible number of players capable of making the first team, and the fact that they are Spurs supporters is a bonus!

Mason had a bad day at the office but what a season it has been for the lad. He's gone form loan to loan to first team regular and even an England call-up. One mistake doesn't change the fantastic season this has been.

Selling Mason will send the wrong message. I think it's bullshit.

He's part of the fighting spirit and home grown ethos that put Spurs apart from the City's and Liverpools.

He's a fucking great squad player. If we sell a player who loves it at the club, is proud of the team culture etc then it's a cheap and soulless way to earn a small transfer fee.

I'm hoping if it's true that it's a SHORT loan.
If not the board have short memories of how proud he did us (played out of position) for an entire season.
The message is we create footballers. Come to Tottenham and we will turn you into a player, give you a career. For those at our academy since they were kids like Mason & Townsend the message is you have a chance of playing for the first team, there is a clear line from academy to first team, which is now becoming a well trodden won. If it doesn't work out at the club we will not keep you under lock and key and send you out on loan never to be seen again.

This policy is music to the ears of aspiring young footballers. This is why Edwards is playing at Spurs and hasn't singed for Chelsea or Citieh on x10 the wages that he has no doubt been offered.

So you'd rather trust a young man with zero managerial experience over a guy with 20+ years of experience. Because he has a few coaching badges....

My brother has a few coaching badges, they aren't that hard to obtain, shall I give him a call?
Yes. I have way more faith in Ryan "up to date on football and modern managing" Mason than Harry R "7 years retired" Redknapp.

Redknapp should not be anywhere near returning to the Tottenham bench.

Look forward, not backwards.

He's a fan of the club and has dedicated a huge chunk of his life to it. Whatever happens over the next 6 games and the cup final I will not be speaking a bad word of him.

At the end of the day he has been thrown into the deep end, let's not expect miracles, let's not expect anything.

I know he will have us playing on the front foot and just for that reason alone I am excited, it's nice to look forward to watching us play again, Mourinho was making me hate football.

I am not exaggerating when I say this but today has shown me Mason has a future as a manager (here or somewhere else).

He prioritises keeping possession over everything and that was clear. Lucas playing centrally didn't really work but his dribbling attributes allows us to have more possession. The Winks sub was a brilliant sub that literally nobody would have done in the position we were in imo. Picking him to come on over more attacking players allowed us to recycle the ball quicker and keep hold of the ball. Bergwijn and Lamela over Dele or Vinny ...same thing...hold ball or dribble ball thus keeping hold of the ball.

Will it always work? of course not but I really liked that he had a clear plan and stuck to it. Didn't panic, didn't change things around, just kept it how he wanted us to play.

I rarely comment on substitutions because as fans we have to accept that the manager knows more than us.
But taking off Lucas instead of the the completely ineffectual Son for Bale absolutely stank.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom