Ryan Mason

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I fucking love Mason. He is basically the embodiment of what we are going for at Spurs under Poch. He is an absolute warrior for a guy with a small frame, he breaks up play, can spray passes and link play from deep and he has a great understanding of making runs into the box. All effort, all character - can't ask for much more.

Great timing for him to come back in and get some confidence with a goal with Dembo out. Can't wait to see him vs the Arse as he will be well up for it.

Just been reading some of the poison on Twitter directed at Ryan Mason as he leaves for Hull. I think it's Fucken despicable. The lad has been a patient and loyal Spurs player. I wish him the best of luck

The lack of an apostrophe is annoying me more than it should...

zovB2ku.jpg

Experience, as in amount of years in a coaching role, to me, is bullshit.

What matters is: Does he have good ideas about how to play football? Does he have enough confidence in his ideas to stick by them when the going gets tough? Does he have the qualities necessary to have his players buy into the ideas and to go along with them? And does he have the man management abilities necessary to keep the players acting disciplined and professional, and the stones to deal with those who do not?

Many great managers were great in their early years. Nagelsmann is one obvious example. Solskjær had his best results in his early years in Molde. Mourinho was fantastisc as a young manager, but horrible now.

It can be a huge benefit to be young, to be "inexperienced". Youth often comes with a fresh outlook, with fresh ideas, and with confidence and positive energy. Experience may be negative, like Mourinho's experience from his last three or four gigs.

With what Mason has gone through, he may have more life experience than most managers. He was hospitalised, near death, and had to fight hard to get back to what he loved. That experience may be worth way more than 5 or 10 years as a U23 coach or as an assistant manager or as a manager for a lower league team.

The results the rest of the season should not decide his future. But rather how he works, how he affects the players, which ideas he brings forwards, and if the players seem to respond well to him and respect him.

I cheer for him and hope he succeeds. If he does, I certainly hope Levy is willing to give him a proper chance.

Definitely feels like the subs and selections today are true to his allegiances within the club rather than the players' abilities. A real shame as I like the bloke and wish him every success.

What had winks done to warrant a starting place in a cup final. Picking your mates over better players that have offered at least something to the side throughout the season. Fuck off.

This guy was employed because he got knocked in the head.

Now he's also famous for losing a trophy, I mean for fuck’s sake he spent half his career in between Yeovil Town and Doncaster!

What's Levy's next trick?

Maybe we'll employ John Bostock as manager!
Knocked in the head?? Behave yourself, he had a fractured skull. He almost died.

Call him out for his selections and tactics but no need for that bullshit.

I can see his logic for certain choices, not that I agree with them

Winks over Ndombele because he wanted someone to hold his position, Bale and Sissoko on because Bale does offer alot defensively, this is im sure HIS logic, almost worked but Sissoko can't track his runners

We had momenta but thats all they were

Ndombele not coming on at all is a mystery but the fact he's just lost 1-0 to Pep and his Oil team doesn't make him out of his depth considering many thought it would be a comfortable 3-4 nil win for City

The only reason it was not 3-4 nil is because city failed to finish chances and Lloris had a blinder. If anyone watched the game, theyd know we were absolutely rinsed from start to finish.

Why are people so surprised that a 29 years old former player, with the right badges, and zero management experience shite the bed against one of the best managers of all time while having six days of training? Having a laugh!
Levy is the daft cunt who made Ryan look like shit today. The sword as to fall on Daniel not on Ryan.
That's all reasonable, but there's no excuse for bringing on Sissoko.

It's like sticking your hand in a fire or drinking petrol.

You just don't.

I am actually concerned his primary role at the club is in youth development.

He's like one of those coaches that picks the lad who he thinks is a nice kid, bit of a trier who won't let him down. Meanwhile the talented, footballer with the actual skills sits on the bench because he's a bit flashy or doesn't run as much. Or perhaps has a bit of an attitude or heaven forbid a personality of some kind.

If his managerial selections reflect his approach to developing young players then i'm not too keen on him being involved in the Academy either.

What exactly has he done to deserve the level of vitriol he recieves from a lot of quarters other than accept a temporary job that likely no one else would take and move up the coaching ladder at a club he loves and has been at for more than 2 decades?

He didn't even do badly during said temporary job. The football improved from what we saw under Jose, he had a couple of really decent wins. Played a few footballers people don't like on here, but clearly they can't have been worse than the others. Certainly got the best out of Bale, which Jose never did.

Which all in all, for a 29 year old manager ... fucking well done. Clearly there's something there.

Some people just need a demon to fight and Ryan Mason has been chosen. Even appointing one of the best managers in the world doesn't change that. Some people are just in this game to criticise and moan.

It's weird.

Back
Top Bottom