Ryan Mason

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’m on the “ Mason” in train.
Like some of the other comments made above, I’ve been impressed with the way he’s quietly going about business & he interviews very well indeed.
Of course it’s early days and he’s only a baby in managerial terms, but he is Tottenham through to his core. If we are talking about DNA, he gets it.
And he’s already shown that he’s got some nous tactically. The Moura brain fart against the scousers could never have been predicted. Had we just hung on that would have been one of the results of our season.
He may not be the shiny new toy that some seem to demand but our last 3 appointments have turned out really badly & 2 of them had won trophies wherever they’d managed. Even Nono looks like he might seal a trophy this year in the Middle East!
I’d be tempted to give him the job on a 12 -18 month contract and see if he can swim at PL level. I’d like to see him get a fair crack of the whip with a pre season to implement a style of play that suits the squad.

I’m on the “ Mason” in train.
Like some of the other comments made above, I’ve been impressed with the way he’s quietly going about business & he interviews very well indeed.
Of course it’s early days and he’s only a baby in managerial terms, but he is Tottenham through to his core. If we are talking about DNA, he gets it.
And he’s already shown that he’s got some nous tactically. The Moura brain fart against the scousers could never have been predicted. Had we just hung on that would have been one of the results of our season.
He may not be the shiny new toy that some seem to demand but our last 3 appointments have turned out really badly & 2 of them had won trophies wherever they’d managed. Even Nono looks like he might seal a trophy this year in the Middle East!
I’d be tempted to give him the job on a 12 -18 month contract and see if he can swim at PL level. I’d like to see him get a fair crack of the whip with a pre season to implement a style of play that suits the squad.
Agree

Arteta didn't have much more experience than Mason and look how that's going.

Done a complete 360 and think Mason is the guy. My reasons

1. He has first hand experience to compare the gulf in difference between the Poch era and the Mourinho/Conte era and whats going wrong. Can address those issues asap.

2. He can then make changes to get us back to that Poch level. Even recently commented on the state of the football since Poch.

3. Has shown that Dier and our defence is an absolute shiteshow and made instant changes by dropping him and stopping this back 3 bollocks

4. If the manager isnt Mason then the new manager that hasnt studied Spurs in depth for the past 6-7 years will straight away just revert back to the same gatekeeper players and Dier worms his way straight back into the starting line up. Another big money manager resolves absolutely nothing as he wont get the big name players and he’ll be forced to play the same shite thats been here for years whilst figuring out which bad bunch he can rely on week in week out. Mason already knows.

5. Already shown more flexibility and common sense. Moving Porro into right wing with emerson at rhe back. Playing rich and kane upfront. Not as dogmatic in his approach

6. Gunna need a complete rebuild and id want someone that understands the club in and out than another manager thats just gunna bring their staff team in try the same dogmatic bullshit football playing square pegs in round holes
This was still just 1 game. Very interested in what he does next week.

If Dier comes back, then Mason's mates has returned and Mason would be a fraud
If he doesnt realise how poor we are with the two man midfield of skippberg, then he isnt good enough.
Basically if he does the same things which havent worked for previous managers , while being here all this time and watching it unfold, then we shouldnt want him.

He has to show how big his balls are if he wants the job. Really hope he does.

There’s a danger of giving Mason the job “because he’s there“.
If Mason were not at Spurs and on the open market with his CV never in a month of Sundays would he be considered for the job.

His starting lineup was better than we've mostly had all season. No Dier, No Perisic, No Kulusevski thats a good start. But it was also obvious that we needed a 3rd man in midfield today. If he sees that and makes the right changes the next game, then maybe he might be worth persevering with.

If he reverts to the 'mates' and doesnt make the tactical changes needed, then he's got to go.

The whole 'Mason's mates' thing was nonsensical made up bollocks from people with no brains. End of.

P.S You can disagree all you like, but you'd be wrong.

Very likeable guy, bleeds Spurs through and through, has that passion and desire for the club that so many suck Pochettino off for and just gets it.

However. When the likes of Nagelsmann is free, you take him. Simple as that. If Mason wants to then stay on as youth coach perhaps or work closely with Nagelsmann so be it.

But fans are fickle. A string of bad results and Mason would get crucified. Whereas someone like Nagelsmann I feel would have a bit of leeway coming to a new country, his age and the squad in general.

I hope Mason can go and win us all of our remaining games tbh. He's showing to be a fine young coach and this will do him the world of good.

Excellent post. I wholeheartedly concur with your assessment.

Very likeable guy, bleeds Spurs through and through, has that passion and desire for the club that so many suck Pochettino off for and just gets it.

However. When the likes of Nagelsmann is free, you take him. Simple as that. If Mason wants to then stay on as youth coach perhaps or work closely with Nagelsmann so be it.

But fans are fickle. A string of bad results and Mason would get crucified. Whereas someone like Nagelsmann I feel would have a bit of leeway coming to a new country, his age and the squad in general.

I hope Mason can go and win us all of our remaining games tbh. He's showing to be a fine young coach and this will do him the world of good.

I think Mason is gonna be a very good manager and a future spurs boss. I'd like him to stay and learn more from whoever we get in charge. But wouldn't blame him if he leaves and cuts his teeth at a Championship team same as Kompany did

But he's rocking about a 50% win rate in a side that although decent on paper has been a shit show both times he's taken over. And he's shown pretty decent tactical decisions this time around and is getting the best out of a squad when a title winning PL manager (and one of the best in Europe apaz) and his assistant with 20 years experience on him couldn't do it.

I'd rather a proven young manager with history of building young attacking sides took over (Nagelsman) but we could do worse then give him a shot I think. He'd need time like Arteta did at the scum but I think he's got it

I think Mason is gonna be a very good manager and a future spurs boss. I'd like him to stay and learn more from whoever we get in charge. But wouldn't blame him if he leaves and cuts his teeth at a Championship team same as Kompany did

But he's rocking about a 50% win rate in a side that although decent on paper has been a shit show both times he's taken over. And he's shown pretty decent tactical decisions this time around and is getting the best out of a squad when a title winning PL manager (and one of the best in Europe apaz) and his assistant with 20 years experience on him couldn't do it.

I'd rather a proven young manager with history of building young attacking sides took over (Nagelsman) but we could do worse then give him a shot I think. He'd need time like Arteta did at the scum but I think he's got it

EPL in total:

Won 5
Lost 3
Drawn 1

This was still just 1 game. Very interested in what he does next week.

If Dier comes back, then Mason's mates has returned and Mason would be a fraud
If he doesnt realise how poor we are with the two man midfield of skippberg, then he isnt good enough.
Basically if he does the same things which havent worked for previous managers , while being here all this time and watching it unfold, then we shouldnt want him.

He has to show how big his balls are if he wants the job. Really hope he does.
Yeah its very early days. If Dier makes a return to the starting 11 at any point in the next few games than its a no to Mason. Dier is completely unredeemable at this point and should be moved on early in the summer. Theres no excuse for starting him.

Yes its also important to mention Mason has been on the first team staff whilst overseeing our collapse the past 3 years, but im not sure Masons position had too much input in that

However it was surprising to see the changes. It has to stay that way.

Yeah its very early days. If Dier makes a return to the starting 11 at any point in the next few games than its a no to Mason. Dier is completely unredeemable at this point and should be moved on early in the summer. Theres no excuse for starting him.

Yes its also important to mention Mason has been on the first team staff whilst overseeing our collapse the past 3 years, but im not sure Masons position had too much input in that

However it was surprising to see the changes. It has to stay that way.

If we can get Dier to agree to leave, would you reciprocate by leaving this forum?

Cheers :nunothumb:

If we can get Dier to agree to leave, would you reciprocate by leaving this forum?

Cheers :nunothumb:

captain america freedom GIF

EPL in total:

Won 5
Lost 3
Drawn 1
Not half bad for a junior!

My issue with him isn’t actually his game management or understanding of what needs to be done. Nor is it any doubt about his ability to get the team to pull together. It’s whether he has the power to pull in bigger players or stand up to Levy and the board. Actually, as I type that, I suspect he could do the latter ok.

If he takes out Villa and sees us through to the end of the season with a bit of style, he’s not the worst option out there. I mean, there’s talk about Alonso and I think I’d prefer Mason.

Not half bad for a junior!

My issue with him isn’t actually his game management or understanding of what needs to be done. Nor is it any doubt about his ability to get the team to pull together. It’s whether he has the power to pull in bigger players or stand up to Levy and the board. Actually, as I type that, I suspect he could do the latter ok.

If he takes out Villa and sees us through to the end of the season with a bit of style, he’s not the worst option out there. I mean, there’s talk about Alonso and I think I’d prefer Mason.

No one is standing up to the board or Levy. They are the bosses. Need to get rid of this idea that some manager is gonna come in and jolt Levy and the board.

It didn’t happen with Jose. Didn’t happen with Conte. It’s not gonna happen

No one is standing up to the board or Levy. They are the bosses. Need to get rid of this idea that some manager is gonna come in and jolt Levy and the board.

It didn’t happen with Jose. Didn’t happen with Conte. It’s not gonna happen
When I say ‘stand up’, I don’t mean boss them about. I mean stand his ground and not roll over like a poodle (Conte certainly didn’t end up doing that). If there’s stuff wrong, he needs to let them know. If players need shipping out, he needs to let them know. I’m not expecting him to kick the door down and demand Bastoni or else he’ll shred Daniel’s 6th form yearbook.

He is the best available to work under Enic / levy regime. He goes quietly in his job and he learned a lot from Jose and Conte.

Any other big name or foreign manager outside PL will have exact same ending of Jose and Conte.

I know people shit on Sherwood, and im not saying hes amazinf, but i remember him coming in and completely putting some of the regular players noses out of joint, identified the players who werent fit to wear the shirt. Literally gave rise to Kane by making the point of playing the youth over the fairweather first team starters. They were eventually moved on. Sherwood also spoke of the players lack of discipline and joking around in training.

So now we have come full circle and the same problems are back. What is it about spurs that fester this type of mentality? Is it the lack of pressure to win anything? Does the higher command at Spurs just let the players be happy? Run around a bit? Just try to win CL qualification and let us make our money please and you can do what you want etc etc There just isnt that same pressure or they dont make the players feel “uncomfortable” as long as they are making money, all is good in the world. The expectations arent there.

I typed this whilst sitting in KFC with a large fillet box meal, 2 chicken pieces with coleslaw

Back
Top Bottom