Southampton Vs Tottenham - 3pm New Year's Day.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think that is possibly the worst passing performance I have ever seen from a Spurs team.
Coupled with the total lack of effort and commitment that most of them showed this has truly been one awful start to the year.
I fear for us in the upcoming cup game

So whose fault is it now?
Manager and players just like it was last year

Going to take a while to erase the ingrained, instinctive pass it back first mentality that’s been hammered into the squads brain for three years.

Shame Dier was ill, no DM and we are poor. Not rocket science.
Dele too arrogant, but being picked, same old same old.
Ndombele a massive pussy pretending to be injured because he’s scared to get injured.
No Son, no Spurs
Eriksen been done to death, but there it is. Again.
Lo Celso and Moura driving but Kane jogging and waiting again.
Twats in defence, a LB who plays like he is warming up on the touch line and a RB who can’t cross.

Damage is done to this mob, and it’s clear we need changes. But we will beat Liverpool and everyone will believe again.
Just the way it is.

Anyway, I’m off again. See you’s in a few months.
Much better like this.

We really thought Poch was holding them back.

I can never bring back time, but forgive us Poch.
who thought that? certainly not me, was obvious the squad had issues.
Agreed tomo. From memory I think it was about half the forum thinking it was poch's fault & the other half admitting our players aren't good enough. To be fair its much nicer to believe we have a very good team & just a bad manager. Rather than we need a massive overhaul of the team. Penny still not dropped with levy yet though , which is the big worry.

The players are the ones that need to take a long hard look at themselves.
No effort, no commitment, no desire, no consideration to the travelling fans. That alone is inexcusable.

Show us you care, show us we count, look like you want to win. If you can't then fuck off and stop stealing from the club.

What I find truly baffling is the fact that neither Poch nor Mourinho (so far) were able to address this issue. A bunch of mercenaries who don't understand what playing for Tottenham really means. You'd think our players would at least act like professionals, but it doesn't seem to be the case with most of them.

They either don't care or are very fragile mentally. I just can't see how this problem can be solved in the near future.

I think that game goes to show how important the 'workmanlike' players are (a lot of the time I believe they're referred to on here as 'championship') - but the Southampton squad is actual Championship level. You build on a solid base, and that allows your show ponies to look flash and impressive. Pellegrini fell apart with this at WH; the obsession with Ozil and Aubemayang will do the same for Arteta at Arse; City are dropping points without their consistent players; 'Pool are playing worse but winning more games?

We will be better when the likes of Davies is back in, and this also evidences the importance of Sissoko and Son. Son is no flash player, just gives 100% all the time which, in his position, makes it look good because 100% intensity and goals from a WF.

Consistent performance means you know what you're getting and can plan tactically. It also explains why Lloris is better than Gazza - makes less mistakes; Trippier was better than Aurier; Aurier better than Foyth etcetera.

We could probably also reflect on how poor most of the rest of the Prem is. The weaker teams have got better (ie, better coached, better defensively, and the TV money means they're able to buy a better standard of mid-table player) - it's the other end, the top end - where we are - that players are hard to find.

That was a hard watch, though and I'm not sure we have enough solid 7/10s day-in-day-out to perform for Jose at the moment. Kane / Alli are our star-turns - do we see consistency elsewhere (of a reasonable standard)?

How do you come to the conclusion that this game highlights the importance of Sissoko ?

Sissoko played. the whole game. We basically turned to total shit as soon as Ndombele went off and Sissoko went into our midfield.

This game highlights the reverse, how having a shit player, like Sissoko, is causing us to play shit football and have generally become a pretty fucking pale shadow of the team before it had shit players like Sissoko.

Why is it every time Chelsea drop points, we seem to copy them? I’m never really get annoyed at Spurs losing, I don’t let it affect me mentally, but today has really pissed me off. Every player looks like they can’t be arsed.

Come on, almost every game and every season we hear of this 'conspiracy' against Tottenham. I don't buy it.

Why would such a thing exist?
I think every club thinks the same tbh that the other teams get the rub of the green, I think it’s the decisions like the “no goal” against united years ago that’s it been ingrained in us as supporters of spurs

See y'all at the Riverside...
Oh I picked a RIGHT one to choose as my first away game of the decade!!

Still, the last time the 'Twenties' came around, there was The Great Depression!!!!

Gahhhhh!

Jose is handing out contracts to the players that are no longer good enough. That's a massive concern. Toby at fault for the own goal and now today.

Arteta has had more of a positive impact on how Woolwich play (NOT RESULTS) that Jose has with us. We are getting worse, not better.

Genuine questions: How does he want us to play? Why are we so flat? Why can't we win 1v1's? Very basic stuff.
Well.

I think you're being a bit disingenuous. Most of those would get into most prem squads (Dele, Lucas, N'Dombele would get into all, I would imagine). Good players, just not clicking at the moment. Form goes up and down. It will turn.
I think you need to take off your rose tinted spectacles.

The mentioned players would get into Brighton, Burnley or Wham squads but few others. Definitely not, Scousers, Leicester, Wolves, Man City, Chelsea.

Manager and players just like it was last year

Going to take a while to erase the ingrained, instinctive pass it back first mentality that’s been hammered into the squads brain for three years.

Shame Dier was ill, no DM and we are poor. Not rocket science.
Dele too arrogant, but being picked, same old same old.
Ndombele a massive pussy pretending to be injured because he’s scared to get injured.
No Son, no Spurs
Eriksen been done to death, but there it is. Again.
Lo Celso and Moura driving but Kane jogging and waiting again.
Twats in defence, a LB who plays like he is warming up on the touch line and a RB who can’t cross.

Damage is done to this mob, and it’s clear we need changes. But we will beat Liverpool and everyone will believe again.
Just the way it is.

Anyway, I’m off again. See you’s in a few months.
Much better like this.
Sammy with the ol' post n run trick.

giphy.gif

We may well get that squad rebuild now (may being the key word) but the fact it has taken things getting as bad as they have to do it just epitomises the mindset of the people running the club.

Yes, they have been reactive rather than proactive, I'm not sure if this will change. It will be interesting though to see how they will react this time around.

Back
Top Bottom