Spurs vs Brighton

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Apologies if i havent read the whole thread, but this game against Brighton is a big as they come.
Not in terms of interest for the neutrals, or TV coverage, but in defining our season.

Years of pain may have turned me into a sceptic, but top 4 is not yet a certainty.

Manure lost to a team destined for relegation.

Giroud's late goals for Cheski have them only 7 points behind us. It appears many members here assume we are a given for CL. A loss against Brighton would be a huge dent for us as it opens the door for Chelsea, and would be a massive blow in confidence for our FA cup semi against Manure.

Now do I think we will play CL next year... yes. However we must play our best squad week in week out in both the PL and the FA cup.

And in my opinion our best squad includes Harry Kane.

No he isnt though

We scored 6 when he went off injured against Millwall, 4 when he went off injured at Bournmouth, we beat Swansea 3-0 without him, stuck 6 past Rochdale without him, and scored 3 at Stamford Bridge without him.

Whats ridiculous is ignoring those TWENTY TWO goals we scored in FIVE games without him, and saying its paramount he plays because we dont have options.
Sammy, Rochdale and Swansea were games that most of us could have scored in. Llorente got a hat trick which means that my recycling bin probably would have got a brace.

Chavs was a specific tactical setup that worked well for that kind of contain and counter attack performance.

Kane had no service on Saturday and the whole team was shit: harsh to call out any individual.

We need Kane for the run-in and he needs game time for his match sharpness. I’ll agree to disagree... but I really do struggle with any view that we should drop Kane, especially with his work ethic and his broader influence on the team.

Not even Messi or Ronaldo scored every single game - have a word with yourself. For shame

Where have I said he was poor because he didnt score a goal?

Do you understand football? A striker can play well and not score. A striker can play poorly and score. Kane did neither.

The thing with you is that the point Im making is an extremely reasonable one, and one worthy of an interesting discussion.......the players, tactics, options etc etc.
Thats why we post here....you want to turn everything into something else that doesnt exist and start fights. Its triesome, and really, really boring.

Please stop ruining things, I really dont give a fuck what you think. This is the last time I answer you, so quote me disgaree with evcery post all you like, its just you thats going to continue to look silly.

Chavs was a specific tactical setup that worked well for that kind of contain and counter attack performance.

Oh well that was convenient on a ground we havent won on for 30 years

Kane had no service on Saturday and the whole team was shit: harsh to call out any individual.
Not true and its an insult to the rest of the team to say they were all as bad as Kane. If that was Llorente, would you be blaming Dele and Eriksen for his input

Last edited:
Sammy, Rochdale and Swansea were games that most of us could have scored in. Llorente got a hat trick which means that my recycling bin probably would have got a brace.

We need Kane for the run-in and he needs game time for his match sharpness. I’ll agree to disagree... but I really do struggle with any view that we should drop Kane, especially with his work ethic and his broader influence on the team.
As his passes to Son and Eriksen shows, there is more to Kane than just goals. It laughable that people want to drop a guy who has scored 20 or more league goals in the last 4 seasons and 25 or more in the last 3.
His crime, to not score and make us win every game.
Name one manager in any of the major European leagues that wouldn't play him?
And yet people on here want him dropped because he let us lose a game by not scoring a hat trick.
Amazing

Apologies if i havent read the whole thread, but this game against Brighton is a big as they come.
Not in terms of interest for the neutrals, or TV coverage, but in defining our season.

Years of pain may have turned me into a sceptic, but top 4 is not yet a certainty.

Manure lost to a team destined for relegation.

Giroud's late goals for Cheski have them only 7 points behind us. It appears many members here assume we are a given for CL. A loss against Brighton would be a huge dent for us as it opens the door for Chelsea, and would be a massive blow in confidence for our FA cup semi against Manure.

Now do I think we will play CL next year... yes. However we must play our best squad week in week out in both the PL and the FA cup.

And in my opinion our best squad includes Harry Kane.

if 100% fit. Poch seems to make sure other players are 100% fit before returning to the first team so the same should apply to Kane. He came back earlier than expected, is he 100% fit. if so, he plays.

As his passes to Son and Eriksen shows, there is more to Kane than just goals. It laughable that people want to drop a guy who has scored 20 or more league goals in the last 4 seasons and 25 or more in the last 3.
His crime, to not score and make us win every game.
Name one manager in any of the major European leagues that wouldn't play him?
And yet people on here want him dropped because he let us lose a game by not scoring a hat trick.
Amazing
Coming from someone who wants Lloris dropped for Gazzaniga at the most critical part of the season, you’re on pretty thin ice

:pochfacepalm:

And all this bullshit about people want Kane dropped for not scoring a hat trick?
It just goes to show that you have nothing to argue about when you have to make up your own arguments.

Since when has playing poorly equates to not scoring 3 goals? Seems like it’s you that judge strikers that way, not others.

I could just as well say, people want Lloris and Vorm dropped for a rookie 3rd choice keeper who has played one game ever for us because Lloris had a penalty wrongly awarded against him and Vorm.....well I don’t know the reasoning there.
Maybe it’s the hair gel.

Can you actually believe that.....someone genuinely thinks that dropping Kane for Son or Moura is more absurd than dropping Lloris for Gazzaniga.

Shambolic view

Coming from someone who wants Lloris dropped for Gazzaniga at the most critical part of the season, you’re on pretty thin ice

:pochfacepalm:
Gazzaniga is a fine goalkeeper, as he proved when he got a game earlier in the season, I believe he is better than Vorm
I'm not on thin ice Sammy, because they are just opinions, and you don't get to adjudicate over which ones are viable or not.
Unless the way the board is run has changed dramatically

Where have I said he was poor because he didnt score a goal?

Do you understand football? A striker can play well and not score. A striker can play poorly and score. Kane did neither.

The thing with you is that the point Im making is an extremely reasonable one, and one worthy of an interesting discussion.......the players, tactics, options etc etc.
Thats why we post here....you want to turn everything into something else that doesnt exist and start fights. Its triesome, and really, really boring.

Please stop ruining things, I really dont give a fuck what you think. This is the last time I answer you, so quote me disgaree with evcery post all you like, its just you thats going to continue to look silly.
Ok - in your opinion - how many poor games 'grace' should one be allowed before being benched? Also - apart from Verts and Moura - every else was dog-shite on Saturday.

And all this bullshit about people want Kane dropped for not scoring a hat trick?
It just goes to show that you have nothing to argue about when you have to make up your own arguments.

Since when has playing poorly equates to not scoring 3 goals? Seems like it’s you that judge strikers that way, not others.

I could just as well say, people want Lloris and Vorm dropped for a rookie 3rd choice keeper who has played one game ever for us because Lloris had a penalty wrongly awarded against him and Vorm.....well I don’t know the reasoning there.
Maybe it’s the hair gel.

Can you actually believe that.....someone genuinely thinks that dropping Kane for Son or Moura is more absurd than dropping Lloris for Gazzaniga.

Shambolic view
Oh look,Sammy trying to start a fight, how original
Not biting, they are all just opinions and as valueless as each other, unless your name is Pochettino

Gazzaniga is a fine goalkeeper, as he proved when he got a game earlier in the season, I believe he is better than Vorm
I'm not on thin ice Sammy, because they are just opinions, and you don't get to adjudicate over which ones are viable or not.
Unless the way the board is run has changed dramatically

Yes Mick, Gazzaniga is more of an option for Lloris than Son is for Kane.

Ok, I respect your opinion but disagree, nothing to add

I think the discussion is focusing on wrong things. Let me sort out a part of it -
1) In form Kane is very important to the team
2) At the same time we have proven that not having him on the field does not mean end of the world as we know it
3) Points 1) and 2) can apply at the same time

I think the right focus regarding him should be on question "what solution would be best for Kane's form?". If the staff decides that more playing time would benefit him - he should play. If staff decides bit of rest would help - then rest him.

What seems quite obvious is that currently his form is not anywhere near best. This rather questionable goal against Stoke has been Kane's only since 25.02 against Palace. So this dry patch is nearing two months. Clearly you'd have to agree that for striker with his pedigree this is not "good run of form". Just checked that he has played 410 minutes since the end of the Palace game with 0 or 1 goals to show for it (depending on how one interprets this questionable goal).

Hopefully he get's back into hot streak asap, as we could really use him in FA semifinal and hopefully FA final as well! Come on you Kane! Come on you Spurs!

I hope hes still unfit otherwise he´s was just utter shit v City which is even more worrying.
Its got nothing to do with knowing more than Poch, its just an opinion.

My opinion is that Kane had a nasty ankle ligament injury, was out for a rather short period, and hasnt looked at all sharp in the minutes he´s played since. Ive based my opinion on that.

If he plays, I hope he´s back to form. If he´s still out of form, he should be subbed.

Its not rocket science
We have 6 or 7 games left, depending on how the semi final goes.
We want him match fit, not just not injured, for as many of those as possible.

We have 6 or 7 games left, depending on how the semi final goes.
We want him match fit, not just not injured, for as many of those as possible.
Well that’s the balance.

Can we win games without him playing 90 minutes. The answer is yes. Emphatically win games.

Can we win games with Kane playing like he did v City? Maybe, do you want to use the rest of the season for Kane’s rehab though?

Give him a stint late on tomorrow, start him on Saturday and go on from there. He doesn’t need to play every second of every game to regain sharpness, he’s trainjng every day too.

Well that’s the balance.

Can we win games without him playing 90 minutes. The answer is yes. Emphatically win games.

Can we win games with Kane playing like he did v City? Maybe, do you want to use the rest of the season for Kane’s rehab though?

Give him a stint late on tomorrow, start him on Saturday and go on from there. He doesn’t need to play every second of every game to regain sharpness, he’s trainjng every day too.
It is not about him doing rehab.
I think Poch is on this to be honest. I am happy to leave it to him.
The problem with what you posted in the Man City thread was that you came close to saying Kane didn't put in a shift.
Not that he was not sharp, or out of form, but he was not trying to contribute. That is going to annoy people.

Back
Top Bottom