Spurs vs Girona

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We do have strength in the depth.

The problem is nothing to do with 'money' - but more to do with the fact that half of our squad got to the last week of the World Cup.

Have to disagree, can't see Llorente stepping up if Kane gets injured. Could say the same in a couple of other positions.

We do have strength in the depth.

The problem is nothing to do with 'money' - but more to do with the fact that half of our squad got to the last week of the World Cup.

True, but this issue with the returning players has been known for a month now. The problem could have been lessened by signing a player or two in time to be around for pre-season and then be an option to select against Newcastle next weekend. Now we're going to have to use youngsters who don't look even close to being ready.

Have to disagree, can't see Llorente stepping up if Kane gets injured. Could say the same in a couple of other positions.

Lloris
Trippier - Sanchez - Vertonghen - Davies
Dier - Dembele
Son - Dele - Eriksen
Kane
Vorm, Aurier, KWP, Alderweireld, Foyth, CCV, Rose, Wanyama, Winks, Onomah, Sissoko, Lucas, Lamela, Llorente.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the depth. That's a pretty good squad to me.

If Kane gets injured or needs a rest, we're likely to play a free flowing front line of Son, Lamela/Lucas, Dele like we did when we smashed Bournemouth and Chelsea. Or we could play Llorente and I am sure we'd still get by.

I agree that adding a bit more quality in there would be nice. Wheedle out the likes of Sissoko and Llorente and replace them with another central midfielder of higher quality and preferably a wide forward who can also play up top.

Utter shambles. Totti Totti , before you start calling me out, I'm not just talking about this result. There's a strong possibility we will have no choice but to play Luke Amos against Newcastle. You are sitting here telling me it's not a squad problem ? That we don't need to spend ? I think you and Sammy need to crash back down to reality.

It's not being a melt to say we were atrocious tonight, for whatever reason, anymore than its true to say that people spunked in their trolleys and thought we'd win the league after a fine first half vs Roma a week or so ago.

The only thing is that a number of people used those games to say how a 17-year-old Skipp and an Amos who has played a total of 16 games in Division Four might cover our weaknesses in central midfield. Tonight would suggest differently.

Which isn't to say they could or couldn't, just that it's generally not a good idea to reach a conclusion, however tentative, based on a preseason game, whichever way the result goes.

I remember watching this from our glorious Peace Cup win in 2004 and thinking that El Hamdaoui was going to be a Tottenham legend...

He never played again

It's not being a melt to say we were atrocious tonight, for whatever reason, anymore than its true to say that people spunked in their trolleys and thought we'd win the league after a fine first half vs Roma a week or so ago.

The only thing is that a number of people used those games to say how a 17-year-old Skipp and an Amos who has played a total of 16 games in Division Four might cover our weaknesses in central midfield. Tonight would suggest differently.

Which isn't to say they could or couldn't, just that it's generally not a good idea to reach a conclusion, however tentative, based on a preseason game, whichever way the result goes.

I remember watching this from our glorious Peace Cup win in 2004 and thinking that El Hamdaoui was going to be a Tottenham legend...

He never played again

I watched that game in bed with a mild hangover on the morning after a stag night in Prague. Good times

The friendlies this season must have been tailor made for Lucas to get him up to speed. The rest is not important. And by the way, stop calling him Moura if you're not calling Neymar - Santos Ronaldinho - Moreira and fat Ronaldo - Nazario da Lima then carry on.

Dier hasn't returned for pre-season yet and might not be ready to play Newcastle. Eriksen also wasn't involved tonight, for a reason we don't know yet, could be injured.
Sanchez wasn’t involved either, I think Poch wanted to rest WC players who reached the KO stage a weekend off

LADS.. We are going to be OK. We're a solid team one or two will come in. we have a good group who have signed and want to be here. Fcuk the ones who don't. Yes we're a little light in CM at moment due to injuries. If Amos has to play a game so be it, he's part of the club he will give it his best. Don't listen to the media Liverpool have only replaced what they had to Emre Can has gone and ox is out for season and there keeper obviously but not all signings will hit ground running. The last 3 seasons we have been battered by media etc.before season started but we keep marching in and we will again COYS!!

Only a gooner or unbeliever would say that - I’ve got your number.

Haha! Yeah, those cunts love to get carried away over a pre-season friendly result.
I always remember the time when I overheard two optimistic gooners talking about the upcoming season and one of them said - without a shred of irony - "well, we've won the Emirates Cup so..."

Oracle was actually a specific teletext system used on ITV/C4 (the equivalent of Ceefax on the BBC) - rather than being a predecessor to teletext.

Not that I'm a nerd or anything myself...although I do find myself missing the days of "watching" Spurs on page 303 of Ceefax, and trying to picture how the game was unfolding.

img_6864.jpg

Oracle was indeed a teletext service - but it most definitely was the predecessor to Teletext (with a capital T). Teletext (again not teletext in general but Teletext with a capital T or Teletext Ltd as it were) outbid for the franchise and replaced Oracle in 1992 so Oracle was the predecessor to Teletext (capital T).

Ceefax was the BBC branded teletext (small t so describing teletext as a service rather than big T denoting a brand) all the way through.

I can't believe I replied and I appreciate it's unbelievably sad ..... but hey there's nothing to talk about regarding the football. But then again friendlies are meaningless.

Oracle was indeed a teletext service - but it most definitely was the predecessor to Teletext (with a capital T). Teletext (again not teletext in general but Teletext with a capital T or Teletext Ltd as it were) outbid for the franchise and replaced Oracle in 1992 so Oracle was the predecessor to Teletext (capital T).

Ceefax was the BBC branded teletext (small t so describing teletext as a service rather than big T denoting a brand) all the way through.

I can't believe I replied and I appreciate it's unbelievably sad ..... but hey there's nothing to talk about regarding the football. But then again friendlies are meaningless.

Don’t tell me what I am

Back
Top Bottom