Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
I know we needed upgrade's all over the fucking place, but I'm really worried if we don't get some attacking quality in we are going to have another tough season, especially if for whatever reason (form, injury or sale) we lose Kane's goals, without which we'd have been fucking around in the bottom half last season.
Despite playing a turgid low possession counter attack system, and having an injured Son playing at 60%, we still scored the 5th highest amount of goals in the league. We have also added creativity and goals from midfield with the signing of Maddison and, if all goes well with the medical, we will be adding a winger with pace and dribbling ability that scored every 140 mins in the PL last season (though it was a small sample size). I'm not worried about our attack.

On the flip side, only 5 teams conceded more goals than us last season and whilst I'm sure the system will improve that, we desperately need CBs that suit that system, as we currently only have 1.

I know we needed upgrade's all over the fucking place, but I'm really worried if we don't get some attacking quality in we are going to have another tough season, especially if for whatever reason (form, injury or sale) we lose Kane's goals, without which we'd have been fucking around in the bottom half last season.
We’d have been in the bottom half without Kane’s goals because our defense was terrible. We were 15th in GA and 5th in GF.

We have brought in Maddison, who will help the starting XI and Solomon, who should at least be an upgrade on Lucas.

I don’t see how we need any more attackers unless we sell Kane. We need multiple defenders.

Where the F#*k have you been the past couple of weeks?

We have signed:
Kulusevski -permanently
Maddison
And next week once medical completed - Manor Solomon

Whether Kane stays or goes this is Angeball and we are going play some of the best attacking football in the premier league this coming season

Even signing Vicario is great news for attacking football and hes the Goalie if you didnt know

:ange-arms:

Last edited:
Despite playing a turgid low possession counter attack system, and having an injured Son playing at 60%, we still scored the 5th highest amount of goals in the league. We have also added creativity and goals from midfield with the signing of Maddison and, if all goes well with the medical, we will be adding a winger with pace and dribbling ability that scored every 140 mins in the PL last season (though it was a small sample size). I'm not worried about our attack.

On the flip side, only 5 teams conceded more goals than us last season and whilst I'm sure the system will improve that, we desperately need CBs that suit that system, as we currently only have 1.

yeah, I'm going with pfft...

I'm very underwhelmed by the thought of only adding Solomon to the forward group. This is not a first team upgrade attacking player on any of the meh bunch we've currently got (Son even at 100%, Kulusevski, Richarlison) who will significantly pick up the scoring slack if we lose Kane's 30 goals that contributed about 40% of the 5th highest, or significantly add to the creative productivity. Son's always been mercurial/unreliable and is 31.

Quoting GPM for a guy who played 563 minutes? And hasn't played more than that in any recent season, even with Shaktar.

He may miraculously turn into spunkbread, but there's not a lot of hard evidence to support that.

I really think we need some quality in forward areas, even with Maddison improving creativity in the 8 role.

I'm very underwhelmed by the thought of only adding Solomon to the forward group. This is not a first team upgrade attacking player on any of the meh bunch we've currently got (Son even at 100%, Kulusevski, Richarlison) who will significantly pick up the scoring slack if we lose Kane's 30 goals that contributed about 40% of the 5th highest, or significantly add to the creative productivity. Son's always been mercurial/unreliable and is 31.

Quoting GPM for a guy who played 563 minutes? And hasn't played more than that in any recent season, even with Shaktar.

He may miraculously turn into spunkbread, but there's not a lot of hard evidence to support that.

I really think we need some quality in forward areas, even with Maddison improving creativity in the 8 role.
Unfortunately £60m for Richarlison is all the money this club has for “quality in forward areas” you’re on about.

Looking like one of the worst signings in PL history at this point in time, unless he becomes peak Anelka tomorrow. But yeah, that’s our plan, Ange is going to have him lead the press like a madman and hope he has the quality to keep us within range of top 4.

There’s also the Son possibly carrying an injury throughout the season rumours.

Big Hero GIF

Based on our history, you’d expect us to only get one of VdV or Tapsoba, but if we somehow really are trying to get both, then all these leaks about how we are only signing one of them would be a great way to drive the price down on both players since the selling club believes we might walk away for the other player if they don’t come down.

Based on our history, you’d expect us to only get one of VdV or Tapsoba, but if we somehow really are trying to get both, then all these leaks about how we are only signing one of them would be a great way to drive the price down on both players since the selling club believes we might walk away for the other player if they don’t come down.
How about a great way to get them in now (rather than drive the price down) so they are settled for pre season? We’ve been v frugal with our first 3 signings, now overpay, within reason, on these two to get them completed quickly otherwise Dier will be starting at CB

If (and a big if) we sell Kane, we will replace him so it's a moot point.

But also, the same starting attack (Kane, Son and Kulusevski) played the season before and Kane only contributed 25% of our total goals (we were 4th highest scorers that year). Son looks after himself, so I wouldn't have thought he would massively decline at 31.

I did say it was a smaller sample size. Solomon had more minutes in each season at Shakhtar than he did at Fulham, not less, and whilst he only played 860 mins in his last season, that was because the league stopped half way through due to the invasion, hardly his fault. He played more mins than Mudryk that year. His GPM in the Ukraine league was 1 goal every 169mins and in the Champions League is a goal every 206 mins. Not a world beater, but respectable numbers.

No owner, with integrity and true ambition, sees the amount of goals we leaked last season and doesn't snap up both VDV AND Tapsoba and properly address the problem.
Integrity: Still consults with former DOF and known fraudster banned by FIFA.

True ambition: Shown in 2018 summer transfer window .

Levy in! COYS!

If (and a big if) we sell Kane, we will replace him so it's a moot point.

But also, the same starting attack (Kane, Son and Kulusevski) played the season before and Kane only contributed 25% of our total goals (we were 4th highest scorers that year). Son looks after himself, so I wouldn't have thought he would massively decline at 31.

I did say it was a smaller sample size. Solomon had more minutes in each season at Shakhtar than he did at Fulham, not less, and whilst he only played 860 mins in his last season, that was because the league stopped half way through due to the invasion, hardly his fault. He played more mins than Mudryk that year. His GPM in the Ukraine league was 1 goal every 169mins and in the Champions League is a goal every 206 mins. Not a world beater, but respectable numbers.
Will it be with someone good though? History says probably not.

Will it be with someone good though? History says probably not.
It certainly won't be anyone as good as Kane, but doesn't mean they won't be good.

We have been linked with Ivan Toney, Dusan Vlahovic and Jonathan David as his replacement and 2 of those would be good signings.

Back
Top Bottom