Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agree with that but I wouldn’t say any of our attackers at the level of the back 5, arguably not even Maddison / Bentacur levels (when both fully fit).

The front 3 could all be upgraded - that would be my target. A 9 and a wide attacker keeping Son and Kulu, moving on Solomon, Werner, Richy etc, poss BJ if there is interest
So sell Richy buy a centre forward. That leaves us with 1 striker.🤔

So sell Richy buy a centre forward. That leaves us with 1 striker.🤔

It’s a trade off for me.

If we are allocating budget for Gimenez, Toney, Guirassy then I’d keep Richy for depth.

If we were allocating for Isak, Openda, Gyokeres, Vlahovic id be fine selling Richy and having Son as a CF option or even Kulusevski false 9.

But with either of those options the most important place to go big is wide forwards. Our CF doesn’t get loads of touches and is more about occupying defenders with movement off the ball and being a threat from low crosses.

So most likely we end up with a new CF and Richy as depth then signing 1 starting quality WF

I don't care what statistics say. Oshimen is better. I watched him reduce VVD prime to a gibbering wreck in a way Richarlison could never ever do....
Maybe he has a higher peak but games where he is completely anonymous.

The point of statistics isn’t that it tells a whole story; it’s that they can keep our biases in check and question what we see (or don’t see).

Maybe he has a higher peak but games where he is completely anonymous.

The point of statistics isn’t that it tells a whole story; it’s that they can keep our biases in check and question what we see (or don’t see).

Kind of agree but stats are only questions. Never answers.

If Osimhens stats aren’t better than Richy over a season then that’s a question. Maybe the answer is as you say that he’s inconsistent and goes off the boil but his best games are a level above but that’s the context missing from the stats.

Personally wouldn’t touch Osimhen with a barge pole for the money they want. I can see the Premier League being a real challenge for him.

Based on the links and Ange quotes with a bit of what’s realistic, this is my guess at what we’re trying to do:

Striker (Gimenez, Guirassy, Toney)

WF (links a bit quiet atm)

8/10 (Sudakov, Baena, MGW, Eze)

8 (Gallagher, Ederson, Gray, James)

Versatile Defender (Calafiori, Simakan, Chalobah)

That’s 5 in and any more will depend on outs and which FB is less covered by the first defender we sign. As much as we all hate it, don’t rule out a late window move for Werner as well.

Yeah I can see that. Need the DM in somewhere.

I just want us to target technical players who can pass and look after the ball properly.

Yeah I can see that. Need the DM in somewhere.

I just want us to target technical players who can pass and look after the ball properly.

The 6 is less of a priority for me compared the other 5/6 bits of business we need to do first. Especially when it doesn’t look like anyone special is on the market. If an opportunity arises then go for it but I also think Sarr might be able to do a great job in that role too.

Sarr
Gallagher Maddison

That 3 would give us pressing, ball winning, cover for defensive transitions and some good technicians for creating chances.

Based on the links and Ange quotes with a bit of what’s realistic, this is my guess at what we’re trying to do:

Striker (Gimenez, Guirassy, Toney)

WF (links a bit quiet atm)

8/10 (Sudakov, Baena, MGW, Eze)

8 (Gallagher, Ederson, Gray, James)

Versatile Defender (Calafiori, Simakan, Chalobah)

That’s 5 in and any more will depend on outs and which FB is less covered by the first defender we sign. As much as we all hate it, don’t rule out a late window move for Werner as well.
It would be typical Levy to ignore signing Werner for the £15m or whatever and try to lowball later 🤣

Back
Top Bottom