Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Seemingly a really good player - though with youth talent and player satisfaction in mind, I'm hoping we're looking to rotate the centre backs heavily to balance minutes for everyone. Perhaps Micky as a LB is something they're happy with going forward (for injury/suspension scenarios, at least).

If we are planning to spend 40m on another CB maybe next season we will be playing a 3-4 -1 -2 formation.

Romero - Drags - VDV
Porro - Biss - Bent - Udogie
Mads
Son - Richy

View: https://x.com/thespursweb/status/1793346325364277672?s=46&t=fbqxNuG9CT4qTaiJx8mBjg

Not sure what to make of those quotes but Ange may end up forced to toe the party line and pretend he’s happy with Werner.

I’ll be honest, I was optimistic for last summer but I’ve got a really bad feeling about Levynomics and this summer. The Kane money has been spent and he wants to sell equity from the club. The purse string is going to tighten. All the noise about backing Ange is eerily familiar.

I liked what Werner has offered to us this season, but we should be absolutely away from signing him, we should be looking for a first team player and keep Kulu and Johnson as subs, and we also will have Solomon for that position.

He scored 4 goals in 1450 minutes this year. Don't think I'd be rushing to sign a guy with character issues and his history.

His 3 PL seasons:
242 mins/goal (mid)
148 mins/goal (very good)
362 mins/goal (shit)

Toney may be good, but let's not pretend he's not a gamble. And he's a twat, to boot.
Toney and Gimenes aren't the answer for anything, we should be going for someone better an keep Richarlison as sub, he's probably better than both.

Ederson impressive again tonight.
Gallagher only if we hold Chelsea to ransom circa 30-35m
No to Toney for me, better out there.
If Richy stays can see Levy pulling the rug from under at least one transfer.
Werner meh, only want him if someone better comes in as well and if that happens is there any point if keeping Solomon?
Outgoings will be interesting, could be as many as 10+ if Levy is prepared to take the hit on several, which will likely be necessary due to ffp.

Again it's all in Levy's court, we are in a great position with Ffp, stadium, youths flying etc, but will he be willing to eventually back a manager fully?
Richy or a replacement striker is totally inadequate. We will need 2 if Richy is sold.

If we are planning to spend 40m on another CB maybe next season we will be playing a 3-4 -1 -2 formation.

Romero - Drags - VDV
Porro - Biss - Bent - Udogie
Mads
Son - Richy
With that, surely Ange would have to ditch his inverted full back system as we would have no width in the team. Porro and Udogie would have to provide the width,

With all due respect, we had 2 strikers this season whose game was basically just this, but it hardly helped us did it? Son is the best finisher of his generation but everyone agrees his all round game at CF is too weak to be relied upon, and yes Richy had his hot streak but it's not like the team played particularly well in any of those games as a result (bar maybe United away which ironically was the one game Richy's hold up play and all round game was up to scratch, even if his finishing wasn't).

I keep hearing about Ange-ball strikers just being these guys to get on the end of crosses, Kyogo's basically. But I don't care what team you are, in the Prem you need your CF to be an all rounder. Look at the best, most effective CFs in the league. You've got the likes of Haaland, Isak, Watkins, Kane last year; all such a handful, none of them pure finishers, all can hold it up well, battle, link up the play.

And then you've got guys like Havertz, Firmino, Jesus for City; none of them goalscorers but all of them have been a key part of the best 3 PL teams of the last 5 years. If anything that shows to me that if you want to be competing for Prem titles that that aspect of the game - hold up, link up, target man, keep possession, bring others in, combinations, game intelligence - is more important from you CF than their pure goal tally, especially if like Richarlison you offer little else if you're not scoring with your first touch.

As for Toney, that's him to a T; he brings others into the game, battles, wins possession, great touch, headers, good dribbler, passer, hold up, link up, smart player. And he has a great composed finish to boot. People looking at his pure goal tally (for Brentford of all teams) and writing him off are really missing the mark. Son would absolutely love playing with him.

I hear you about strikers but City also won more prem titles without Haaland than with him. Spurs and Newcastle won fuck all with Kane and Isak.

The Firminho type of false 9 link man, I’m right there with you 100% but we need to fuck Havertz out of this conversation. He’s still shit and they didn’t win.

I think what we don’t have is the technical ability up front to keep the ball, link play and also some decision making. Then on top of that we don’t have a forward that terrifies defenders 1v1. A big #9 could do that but we can do it without one as well if we get players like Eze, Simons, or Olise out wide.

Toney is a decent target man with decent touch but we’ve never seen him against a deep block or in a team that wants to keep the ball and we have no idea what happens to his touch when you double the amount of running he’s doing because we are pressing to get the ball back straight away.

Ederson impressive again tonight.
Gallagher only if we hold Chelsea to ransom circa 30-35m
No to Toney for me, better out there.
If Richy stays can see Levy pulling the rug from under at least one transfer.
Werner meh, only want him if someone better comes in as well and if that happens is there any point if keeping Solomon?
Outgoings will be interesting, could be as many as 10+ if Levy is prepared to take the hit on several, which will likely be necessary due to ffp.

Again it's all in Levy's court, we are in a great position with Ffp, stadium, youths flying etc, but will he be willing to eventually back a manager fully?

Werner and Richy are the perfect excuse for Levy to pull the rug and say that budget isn’t needed for 2 forwards.

Nobody would be surprised if we ended up with Werner on another loan and only 1 forward signed. He did it with the 2 CBs we needed last summer. Dav Sanchez and Dier were the excuse and it cost us our season.

I hear you about strikers but City also won more prem titles without Haaland than with him. Spurs and Newcastle won fuck all with Kane and Isak.

The Firminho type of false 9 link man, I’m right there with you 100% but we need to fuck Havertz out of this conversation. He’s still shit and they didn’t win.

I think what we don’t have is the technical ability up front to keep the ball, link play and also some decision making. Then on top of that we don’t have a forward that terrifies defenders 1v1. A big #9 could do that but we can do it without one as well if we get players like Eze, Simons, or Olise out wide.

Toney is a decent target man with decent touch but we’ve never seen him against a deep block or in a team that wants to keep the ball and we have no idea what happens to his touch when you double the amount of running he’s doing because we are pressing to get the ball back straight away.

I think you and Klaus Klaus are both right. It seems possible to make convincing arguments for and against signing him. I wonder how much we will be dictated by a lack of other options. I hope we don’t go for Solanke for one, I just think he’ll flop.

I think you and Klaus Klaus are both right. It seems possible to make convincing arguments for and against signing him. I wonder how much we will be dictated by a lack of other options. I hope we don’t go for Solanke for one, I just think he’ll flop.

Solanke is probably out of our price range. I like him but also with you that I’m expecting him to have a worse season next year than this one.

I’m pretty intrigued by Guirassy and need to find a way to watch him some more. €17.5m clause, reasonable wages currently and was apparently always mobile but very good for hold up and bringing people into the game. This season he’s become prolific as well.

Same age as Toney but if we are keeping Richy and have young strikers possibly coming through like Lankshear or Veliz/Scarlett maybe Guirassy is lower risk and possibly even higher reward….

Werner and Richy are the perfect excuse for Levy to pull the rug and say that budget isn’t needed for 2 forwards.

Nobody would be surprised if we ended up with Werner on another loan and only 1 forward signed. He did it with the 2 CBs we needed last summer. Dav Sanchez and Dier were the excuse and it cost us our season.
Agree totally, it's rare you see a leopard change its spots.
I am a celtic part time fan as well and said to an avid Celtic fan that it was likely within two yrs neither of our clubs would have Ange, as Levy would inevitably short change him and screw him over and in true spurs tradition it would be the managers fault and the cycle continues.
Lets hope for once we back a manager and give him a good crack at success.

Solanke is probably out of our price range. I like him but also with you that I’m expecting him to have a worse season next year than this one.

I’m pretty intrigued by Guirassy and need to find a way to watch him some more. €17.5m clause, reasonable wages currently and was apparently always mobile but very good for hold up and bringing people into the game. This season he’s become prolific as well.

Same age as Toney but if we are keeping Richy and have young strikers possibly coming through like Lankshear or Veliz/Scarlett maybe Guirassy is lower risk and possibly even higher reward….

He’d be much more of a risk than Toney, although granted, I haven’t seen much of him but with one decent season under his belt he could just be another Michael Ricketts.

I’m not banging the drum for Toney btw, just using him to illustrate a dearth of options. I just don’t want us to fudge it by only bringing another winger in and the spurs PR pushing it out as solving our attacking options.

He’d be much more of a risk than Toney, although granted, I haven’t seen much of him but with one decent season under his belt he could just be another Michael Ricketts.

I’m not banging the drum for Toney btw, just using him to illustrate a dearth of options. I just don’t want us to fudge it by only bringing another winger in and the spurs PR pushing it out as solving our attacking options.

It's actually more than 1 decent season for Guirassy.

23/24 - 28 goals from 28 games at a rate of a goal every 79mins !!! (holy fuck)

22/23 - 11 goals from 22 at a rate of a goal every 150mins

Overall the last 2 seasons he's scored at a rate of a goal every 99 mins.

That's a better 2 season stretch than Toney has had in his life , including the lower leagues. Given the financials and the risk attached with Toney's character, I'd still say that Guirassy is much LESS risk than Toney. Especially if you are keeping Richy because Toney will definitely expect to start over Richy even if he;s not scoring. Guirassy would be in a new league and possibly more patient (that's a guess).

Your last point is my biggest concern of the window. I can already see it so clearly... We bring one striker and then come up with excuses about no buyers for Solomon so we end up just bringing Werner back and acting like we haven't just left another manager short in a key area.

Should be o
Agreed. We should be ok with Bissouma /Bentancur/ Sarr /Skipp at the 6 next season. We need more attacking output out of the two 8s. Way too big of a drop off after Maddison.
Should be okay with those 4 as a 6 based on what? We had them this year (
Agreed. We should be ok with Bissouma /Bentancur/ Sarr /Skipp at the 6 next season. We need more attacking output out of the two 8s. Way too big of a drop off after Maddison.
Apart from odd patches and bentas injury) and it obviously gave us no defensive solidity at all

It's actually more than 1 decent season for Guirassy.

23/24 - 28 goals from 28 games at a rate of a goal every 79mins !!! (holy fuck)

22/23 - 11 goals from 22 at a rate of a goal every 150mins

Overall the last 2 seasons he's scored at a rate of a goal every 99 mins.

That's a better 2 season stretch than Toney has had in his life , including the lower leagues. Given the financials and the risk attached with Toney's character, I'd still say that Guirassy is much LESS risk than Toney. Especially if you are keeping Richy because Toney will definitely expect to start over Richy even if he;s not scoring. Guirassy would be in a new league and possibly more patient (that's a guess).

Your last point is my biggest concern of the window. I can already see it so clearly... We bring one striker and then come up with excuses about no buyers for Solomon so we end up just bringing Werner back and acting like we haven't just left another manager short in a key area.
You say Guirassy is less of a risk than Toney but in no way can that be remotely true. Toney has experience of playing in the league,knows the opposition,scores goals in the league and lives in London.

It’s the complete opposite.
Guys like Guirassy are much bigger risks than players that have proved themselves at this level and are settled here.

As I said before I’d prefer the likes of Gyokeres,Vlahovic or Sesko but those are not happening. We must get the centre forward signing correct or we are looking at another season relying on Richy or Sonny at centre forward if whoever comes in doesn’t hit the ground running.

Back
Top Bottom