Sunderland v TOTTENHAM - 13th Sept 13:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I believe that was meant slightly tongue in cheek.

Or at least I hope Sammy meant it that way.

You're kidding aren't you??

He's still hurting because we won yesterday and he can't come on here full of the joys with 8,000 I told you so's..
This is his worst nightmare and he has to wait a few days until we have the chance of losing again. He's hurting, he's hurting bad and nothing is tongue in cheek, these are the words of a broken man..

So I'm clear, the negativity is because we should have lost yesterday. Sunderland scorned chance after chance while we had one clear cut chance the whole game against a team who will very much be battling for survival. If anyone in here thinks that is good enough then I'm happy to agree to disagree, but we need to be much better in future performances. With all the talks of us dominating everton, we still didn't win the game. If we dominate every game from now until the end of the season but don't win them, we won't be sitting pretty at the end of it.

All in all, a win is a win. But we must improve.

So I'm clear, the negativity is because we should have lost yesterday. Sunderland scorned chance after chance while we had one clear cut chance the whole game against a team who will very much be battling for survival. If anyone in here thinks that is good enough then I'm happy to agree to disagree, but we need to be much better in future performances. With all the talks of us dominating everton, we still didn't win the game. If we dominate every game from now until the end of the season but don't win them, we won't be sitting pretty at the end of it.

All in all, a win is a win. But we must improve.
But if we get lucky and win every game we will be champions.

I see Leicester and Sunderland (and so many others since Bale left) as the same issue. Teams sit back and hit us on the counter. We fail to break them down until they tire late on, or get more adventurous. Contrast that with Everton, Stoke for 60 mins, Man U for 20, where they actually try to attack us, and we look great. Unfortunately this is just the way of things, we are not world beaters, but arent shit either. If it makes you feel better, I watched Athletico vs Barcelona, and Athletico did the same to Barca as Sunderland did to us. Barca looked shit and went behind, until Messi came on and changed everything. Maybe we just need Messi. Or more realistically, we need our Messis - Kane and Eriksen - to hit form

But if we get lucky and win every game we will be champions.

I see Leicester and Stoke (and so many others since Bale left) as the same issue. Teams sit back and hit us on the counter. We fail to break them down until they tire late on, or get more adventurous. Contrast that with Everton, Stoke for 60 mins, Man U for 20, where they actually try to attack us, and we look great. Unfortunately this is just the way of things, we are not world beaters, but arent shit either. If it makes you feel better, I watched Athletico vs Barcelona, and Athletico did the same to Barca as Sunderland did to us. Barca looked shit and went behind, until Messi came on and changed everything. Maybe we just need Messi. Or more realistically, we need our Messis - Kane and Eriksen - to hit form

Or perhaps we stop relying on players who have hit purple patches for us? Chadli has done very little since his dad died, and as I've said numerous times. If he doesn't score, he disappears. We have players coming in to the team, but I'd like to see us playing with players who always have some impact on the game. The biggest complaint about Lamela is that he doesn't do enough offensively, but at least he is always working back and making a real nuisance of himself. Chadli does very little until he pops up for a goal, which is a great skill to have, but only if you do it consistently.

On top of that, it seems you are suggesting we rely solely on our top players doing well, when really we should be hoping our goals can come from anywhere, just like they did today. Let teams worry too much about Kane and Eriksen while others pop up and steal the glory. That's the way to do it. But nobody can say we were good enough today, because we weren't. Toby should have given away his 2nd penalty in 5 games and he got caught out of position way too often.

We were lucky to beat Sunderland. That's not something we should ever have to say.

The game changed when Townsend came on.. He passed at every opportunity so it seems he's listened to his critics and seems to be learning lessons.. He got in some good positions where in the past he would have leathered it into the stands, but yesterday he looked to lay it off..
If he keeps that mentality up he will be a big plus for us..

Or perhaps we stop relying on players who have hit purple patches for us? Chadli has done very little since his dad died, and as I've said numerous times. If he doesn't score, he disappears. We have players coming in to the team, but I'd like to see us playing with players who always have some impact on the game. The biggest complaint about Lamela is that he doesn't do enough offensively, but at least he is always working back and making a real nuisance of himself. Chadli does very little until he pops up for a goal, which is a great skill to have, but only if you do it consistently.

On top of that, it seems you are suggesting we rely solely on our top players doing well, when really we should be hoping our goals can come from anywhere, just like they did today. Let teams worry too much about Kane and Eriksen while others pop up and steal the glory. That's the way to do it. But nobody can say we were good enough today, because we weren't. Toby should have given away his 2nd penalty in 5 games and he got caught out of position way too often.

Agreed. Ideally I'd like to see Eriksen - Lamela - Son behind Kane. With all of them getting 10 goals. But we have injuries and don't have 22 players of top 6 quality, only City and Chelsea really do.

We were lucky to beat Sunderland. That's not something we should ever have to say.
No away game in the BPL is easy. Sunderland maybe the easiest, but lots of teams will not come away from Sunderland with 3 pts this season.

You can't complain too much when you win but we neither deserved it or showed how we will be able to deal with better teams.

Palace won't play like Sunderland. Neither will Man City. Even Aston Villa had verve about them before Leicester forced the issue.

Can we do that? Not with the evidence so far. Poch still has no discernible game plan.

For as much as people talk about his philosophy, a year on and I don't even see the beginnings of one. Except get rid of senior players.

Like others have said, I only want him to stay because I do not want another clearout and transition but we seem to be in one anyway. Pity that when the league is so fluid we cannot take any advantage.

Sunderland played like the away team, only ever pushing forward on the counter attack.

We always look better when teams come out to play us.

The game changed when Townsend came on.. He passed at every opportunity so it seems he's listened to his critics and seems to be learning lessons.. He got in some good positions where in the past he would have leathered it into the stands, but yesterday he looked to lay it off..
If he keeps that mentality up he will be a big plus for us..

Agree Townsends issue has never been his ability as such but his often selfish thought process, always thumping the ball into the stands from hard to hit angles.

If he plays in the same spirit as yesterday he has a good future. As long as Townsend understands he will never be Bale he should be ok.

Jeez why are people so fucking sensitive on here....used to be a laugh on here, now its all just graphs, probability theories and heat maps.

Why so fucking serious? Did I insult your mum
I think you're the one guilty of being sensitive with that response to be honest. i merely asked you a genuine question.

It was a great game. Full of energy. End to end stuff for most of the match. Hard to watch, as they gave as good as they got, somewhat unexpectedly.

We gave as good as we got too, though. Pochettino set the stall, and we played our game, then he made the changes, and then we got the deserved breakthrough, with a splendid bit of class.

They were unlucky, maybe lacked the class for their own deserved breakthrough, but with our defending we gained the clean sheet. A result more meaningful for being away.

If we were Sunderland fans just for the duration of the match we'd be willing Defoe out on his arse for those plainly fluffed up chances, bemoaning his lack of true class or some such.

The divide between EPL teams seems smaller this summer, with many teams mixing up results. Many teams aren't where I, or even themselves, would expect to be at this stage. It's an especially frothy start to the season. Setting Tottenham aspirations aside for a moment, if things carry on as they are, it'll make for a very interesting Premiership campaign.

In the light of all other results from August on, I feel that I can permit myself a cheeky smile.

Back
Top Bottom