The “They’re really going to have a World Cup in QATAR?” Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Will not be watching.

This corrupt and immoral circus will also disrupt the domestic league.

Is domestic football on hiatus when this shit show is on? So no spurs to watch for over a month?

Hopefully the lower leagues are still on, go and support a club that genuinely appreciates supporters or add to TV viewing numbers for a corrupt competition being played in stadiums built by modern day slaves

0b9.gif

:contefacepalm2:

Linking sporting events to past conflicts?

It's like you lot took lessons from The Sun!

Times of the matches now available...

England v Iran – 4pm local/1pm UK – Mon 21/11

England v USA – 10pm local/7pm UK – Fri 25/11

England v Scotland/Ukraine/Wales – 10pm local/7pm UK – Tue 29/11

*If England finish 1st*
Round of 16 – 10pm local/7pm UK – Sun 4/12 (potentially Ecuador or Senegal)

Quarter final – 10pm local/7pm UK – Sat 10/12 (potentially France or Argentina)

Semi final – 10pm local/7pm UK – Wed 14/12 (potentially Belgium, Germany, Portugal or Spain)

*If England finish 2nd*
Round of 16 – 6pm local/3pm UK – Sat 3/12 (potentially Netherlands)

Quarter final – 10pm local/7pm UK – Fri 9/12 (potentially Argentina or Denmark)

Semi final – 10pm local/7pm UK – Tue 13/12 (potentially Spain, Canada or Croatia)

3rd place play off – 6pm local/3pm UK – Sat 17/12

Final – 6pm local/3pm UK – Sun 18/12

The first two rounds of matches will kick off at 1pm, 4pm, 7pm and 10pm in Qatar (10am, 1pm, 4pm and 7pm in the UK). The final round of group games and all knockout matches will be at 6pm and 10pm in Qatar (3pm and 7pm).

Last edited:
I completely understand the disgust at Qatar getting the WC… but do we honestly think that there was no corruption, no bribery, and that workers have not been abused (and died) in previous tournaments… Brazil, Russia being last two… you can, sadly, guarantee that all of that took place. Either you boycott the whole FIFA circus or you have to accept the hypocrisy of it all. Much like the Olympics and global sport in general.

I completely understand the disgust at Qatar getting the WC… but do we honestly think that there was no corruption, no bribery, and that workers have not been abused (and died) in previous tournaments… Brazil, Russia being last two… you can, sadly, guarantee that all of that took place. Either you boycott the whole FIFA circus or you have to accept the hypocrisy of it all. Much like the Olympics and global sport in general.
I wonder if those boycotting it, don't bother watching Spurs play City or won't watch us tomorrow against Newcastle?

I love the world cup and I'll be watching as much of it as I can.

I've already marked myself unavailable at work for Monday 22nd Nov, as that's a 1pm KO.
Edit: Mon is 21st

Last edited:
I wonder if those boycotting it, don't bother watching Spurs play City or won't watch us tomorrow against Newcastle?

I love the world cup and I'll be watching as much of it as I can.

I've already marked myself unavailable at work for Monday 22nd Nov, as that's a 1pm KO.
Different argument for me.

Spurs vs City is not being played in a country where there is little or no women's rights and where it's illegal to be homosexual.

I won't be watching.

Spurs vs City is not being played in a country where there is little or no women's rights and where it's illegal to be homosexual.

I won't be watching.
I think that’s an honourable stance and can I understand why someone would take that view. With hindsight, the WC in Russia should have been roundly boycotted for what was going on then around basic human rights, war and abuse in Chechnya and Georgia, exterminating cities and civilians in Syria among many other things.

I think that’s an honourable stance and can I understand why someone would take that view. With hindsight, the WC in Russia should have been roundly boycotted for what was going on then around basic human rights, war and abuse in Chechnya and Georgia, exterminating cities and civilians in Syria among many other things.

Brazil too, especially if its an issue of abuse of stadium workers. There were massive abuses. My theory is most people are told what to think by the media. In the previous two world cups, whilst there was some small mention of these things, it wasn't the massive mediastorm that Qatar is getting so there was little talk of boycotting those events.

I won't be watching.

City are a club run by the Qataris though. Anyway I disagree with accusations of women's rights. It's patently not true in the experience of our family who have lived, worked there for some time. Instead of going into it all again I'll just copy and paste my post on it from a few months ago. Your point about homosexuality is more accurate however. It's seen as a moral issue and for that to be changed, the West has to demonstrate some sort of superiority in values if it wants people to follow it's course, not boycotting.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - as someone who has family and who has lived in different parts of the world throughout the years- the secular Liberal values of the US or the UK are NOT a universal norm. Whether you're in South America, Africa, Middle-East, or the Far-East, generally more Conservative values prevail.

For secular liberals in the West to point at all these countries and speak about boycotting them for not adhering to Western values- well I see that as no different to an Evangelical Christian from from Deep South boycotting countries until they adhere to his strict Christian values. In this latter case, most of us will recognise that this Christian guy as acting like a tw*tty neo-colonialist by expecting the world to adhere to his non-universal moral positions, and change their ways for him. Proponents of Secular liberalism seemed to be excused from this however.

Thats not to say criticisms cannot be made, and change cannot happen but you're much better off by convincing people of your positions intellectually, and listening to their points and then responding rather than suggesting everyone outside of the Western world are savages because they don't agree with gay marriage or whatever the cause is.

Just my opinion. Here's my aforementioned post anyway:

-------------------------------------------------------
I have a lived in different parts of the Muslim world/Middle-East and had immediate family in Qatar as well so thought I'd weigh in a bit more on the different issues being discussed.

Firstly, the issue of women's rights. This is where I think some forum members are most off target. Qatar is not a Liberal country - and nor does it need to be imo. Those arguing for secular western morals to replace the local Islamic ones are free to present their arguments, however I have yet to see someone actually view these things from a Qatari lens. Muslim men and women in Qatar don't view religion and religious values in the same way as those in the West.

Whereas many Westerners view their history as one of religious persecution right up till the Enlightenment era (a bit of an unfair reading of history especially with regards to many of the good things that have come from Christianity imo), Muslims view their history very differently. The Islamic "Golden Age" occurred during the religious leadership and the decline began after. You can superimpose your secular presuppositions onto a people if you want but it makes for useless dialogue.

Anyway, the issue of women is not some sort of oppression narrative that is being spun here. From being managers at work to dominating the educational sphere, women have many rights. Female students now surpass males. Traditionally male dominated industries like Engineering are fast becoming occupied by women. In the public sector, female employment has almost caught up to the level of male employment, although there is still a slight wage gap. Crime statistics like rape or sexual assault against women are also considerably lower than many Western nations making it a safe place generally.

The issue of homosexuality is where forum members are a little more accurate. There is a general understanding that what people do in their private homes is upto them but you won't ever find any public promotion of any LGBT issues. That is way too taboo.

Whilst the theoretical law contains harsh punishments, everyone understands they are a deterrent and not to be implemented. In fact I doubt you'll find any execution or physical punishment ever carried about by the Qatari government in recent decades. The general consensus here is that homsexual relationships are morally wrong and morally impermissible things cannot be promoted in the public view. In private what you do in your home is your business. In a visible display of hypocrisy however, Qatars main International station, Al Jazeera, recognised LGBT pride month and the government said it will allow LGBT flags at the World Cup, all whilst still banning public promotion of LGBT issues at the same time.

So the 7pm USA game will mean a Friday afternoon kick off in the States.
Will it be watched widely there at that time?

Yes. If I recall correctly, 8 years ago when klinsman took our team out of the group stages and a missed sitter away from beating Belgium, the kickoff times were similar and the ratings were excellent.

The general media here actually covers the World Cup when we’re in it (unlike regular coverage where I have to actively seek it out for Spurs). So the casuals tune in as well.

City are a club run by the Qataris though. Anyway I disagree with accusations of women's rights. It's patently not true in the experience of our family who have lived, worked there for some time. Instead of going into it all again I'll just copy and paste my post on it from a few months ago. Your point about homosexuality is more accurate however. It's seen as a moral issue and for that to be changed, the West has to demonstrate some sort of superiority in values if it wants people to follow it's course, not boycotting.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - as someone who has family and who has lived in different parts of the world throughout the years- the secular Liberal values of the US or the UK are NOT a universal norm. Whether you're in South America, Africa, Middle-East, or the Far-East, generally more Conservative values prevail.

For secular liberals in the West to point at all these countries and speak about boycotting them for not adhering to Western values- well I see that as no different to an Evangelical Christian from from Deep South boycotting countries until they adhere to his strict Christian values. In this latter case, most of us will recognise that this Christian guy as acting like a tw*tty neo-colonialist by expecting the world to adhere to his non-universal moral positions, and change their ways for him. Proponents of Secular liberalism seemed to be excused from this however.

Thats not to say criticisms cannot be made, and change cannot happen but you're much better off by convincing people of your positions intellectually, and listening to their points and then responding rather than suggesting everyone outside of the Western world are savages because they don't agree with gay marriage or whatever the cause is.

Just my opinion. Here's my aforementioned post anyway:

-------------------------------------------------------
I have a lived in different parts of the Muslim world/Middle-East and had immediate family in Qatar as well so thought I'd weigh in a bit more on the different issues being discussed.

Firstly, the issue of women's rights. This is where I think some forum members are most off target. Qatar is not a Liberal country - and nor does it need to be imo. Those arguing for secular western morals to replace the local Islamic ones are free to present their arguments, however I have yet to see someone actually view these things from a Qatari lens. Muslim men and women in Qatar don't view religion and religious values in the same way as those in the West.

Whereas many Westerners view their history as one of religious persecution right up till the Enlightenment era (a bit of an unfair reading of history especially with regards to many of the good things that have come from Christianity imo), Muslims view their history very differently. The Islamic "Golden Age" occurred during the religious leadership and the decline began after. You can superimpose your secular presuppositions onto a people if you want but it makes for useless dialogue.

Anyway, the issue of women is not some sort of oppression narrative that is being spun here. From being managers at work to dominating the educational sphere, women have many rights. Female students now surpass males. Traditionally male dominated industries like Engineering are fast becoming occupied by women. In the public sector, female employment has almost caught up to the level of male employment, although there is still a slight wage gap. Crime statistics like rape or sexual assault against women are also considerably lower than many Western nations making it a safe place generally.

The issue of homosexuality is where forum members are a little more accurate. There is a general understanding that what people do in their private homes is upto them but you won't ever find any public promotion of any LGBT issues. That is way too taboo.

Whilst the theoretical law contains harsh punishments, everyone understands they are a deterrent and not to be implemented. In fact I doubt you'll find any execution or physical punishment ever carried about by the Qatari government in recent decades. The general consensus here is that homsexual relationships are morally wrong and morally impermissible things cannot be promoted in the public view. In private what you do in your home is your business. In a visible display of hypocrisy however, Qatars main International station, Al Jazeera, recognised LGBT pride month and the government said it will allow LGBT flags at the World Cup, all whilst still banning public promotion of LGBT issues at the same time.
I'll accept your point on women's right.

It appears though that you seem to be saying that it's ok for homosexuality to be illegal in this country, or others, because they're not western countries and that the rights of LGBT people don't matter.

Boycotting the world cup would do far more to highlight things and to change things than anything else.
Especially from an FA that endorses taking the knee as "equality for all" and has the captain of that team wear the rainbow coloured armband in support of LBGT + rights.

Back
Top Bottom