The “They’re really going to have a World Cup in QATAR?” Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No, you don't have to respect archaic laws.
The whole world should be speaking out against it.

FIFA would never have awarded a World Cup to South Africa due to apartheid and the exclusion of one section of society.
But apparently it's ok for them to award it to Qatar because it's "only" gay people.
Surely as the guests they should cater to us? If i have a Vegetarian coming round mine for dinner I wouldn't expect them to eat Steak or go Hungry!

FIFA have shown themselves to be completely incapable of reforming themselves and UEFA have proven to be impotent to do anything about it. I can’t imagine we won’t see some kind of change after this.
If I were one of the clubs pushing for a breakaway from the current guard — whether that be a Super League or something else —I would be licking my lips.

I think the issue is they aren't minding their own business. They've bribed their way into holding the best tournament on earth. If they don't want to welcome the world, they shouldn't have invited them with brown envelopes.

Agreed but what about the people of Qatar, the ones who are ingrained into a culture and a belief system they're not the ones who bribed their way to host the tournament, it was the Qatar FA so you're not thinking about them.

From a Western society POV The laws are wrong but it's their laws and beliefs and we just have to accept that.

You may want to argue that they shouldn't have bid for the tournament but FIFA shouldn't have give it to them but we are where we are with this.

The people of Qatar have been brought up to believe a certain ideology, that's their belief and their culture and if you're going over there whilst in their country you just have to respect it, just like anywhere you go to.
That's correct, Shadydan, but I don't have to give up my philosophy of life.

And yes, Qatar is hosting, but I can draw attention to what happened to the people who built the stadiums and infrastructure.

No, they - the people of Qatar - don't have to agree with my attitude and adopt it.
At a public event, however, I must be allowed to make my opinion public.

Unfortunately that didn't happen under the military dictatorship in Argentina, unfortunately it didn't happen at the World Cup in Russia and unfortunately it didn't happen at the Olympic Games - BUT it's happening now - and I think that's a good thing!

The funny thing is that the majority of crusaders were French or German.

Oh and that isn't St. George's Cross either.

As an aside, how do the French view the crusaders , do they glorify it as we do, dress up etc ?

LeParisien LeParisien ?
They’re only dressing up as crusaders in as much that that’s how they envision St George, the patron Saint of England. This really has doesn’t have anything to do with the religious warfare aspect at all.

My understanding is that these fans were allowed to proceed having removed their swords.

That's correct, Shadydan, but I don't have to give up my philosophy of life.

And yes, Qatar is hosting, but I can draw attention to what happened to the people who built the stadiums and infrastructure.

No, they - the people of Qatar - don't have to agree with my attitude and adopt it.
At a public event, however, I must be allowed to make my opinion public.

Unfortunately that didn't happen under the military dictatorship in Argentina, unfortunately it didn't happen at the World Cup in Russia and unfortunately it didn't happen at the Olympic Games - BUT it's happening now - and I think that's a good thing!

This is a different argument you've presented here and I agree with it entirely.

No, you don't have to respect archaic laws.
The whole world should be speaking out against it.

FIFA would never have awarded a World Cup to South Africa due to apartheid and the exclusion of one section of society.
But apparently it's ok for them to award it to Qatar because it's "only" gay people.

When you're in their country you do, if you don't you end up in prison.

Anyway like coughymachine coughymachine said 'respect' is the wrong word I think, it's more abide by, that's the point Andros is making, that's allI I'm saying.

I'll agree with you though, the outrage ought to be with FIFA more than anyone else.

From a Western society POV The laws are wrong but it's their laws and beliefs and we just have to accept that.

You may want to argue that they shouldn't have bid for the tournament but FIFA shouldn't have give it to them but we are where we are with this.

The people of Qatar have been brought up to believe a certain ideology, that's their belief and their culture and if you're going over there whilst in their country you just have to respect it, just like anywhere you go to.
Agreed, which is why Western teams and fans should have stayed well away from that backwards cesspit.

They wanted the attention of the world...well, they've got it. They have vile attitudes and policies filled with hatred, so fuck them back to the Hell they crawled out of. Genuinely the scum of the Earth.

The Qatari's get something right at last.

I despair of these total morons. "Let's go to the football dressed as Crusaders - best not forget the swords."

giphy.gif

When you're in their country you do, if you don't you end up in prison.

Anyway like coughymachine coughymachine said 'respect' is the wrong word I think, it's more abide by, that's the point Andros is making, that's allI I'm saying.

I'll agree with you though, the outrage ought to be with FIFA more than anyone else.
I disagree with your view.

All injustices against people regardless of anything should be challenged.

The funny thing is that the majority of crusaders were French or German.

Oh and that isn't St. George's Cross either.

As an aside, how do the French view the crusaders , do they glorify it as we do, dress up etc ?

LeParisien LeParisien ?
I didnt really know you glorified the crusades. I’ve never seen it but isn’t Monty Python a parody of that?

In France the crusades are not a source of national pride. That was Rome pulling the strings with the help of the king and the church. We had a revolution to remove their influence from public life so we’re not about to celebrate the bitches whose heads we cut off.

You’re more likely to see people dress as Astérix and Obelix, the plucky Gauls who fought off the sophisticated but foreign romans.

I didnt really know you glorified the crusades. I’ve never seen it but isn’t Monty Python a parody of that?

In France the crusades are not a source of national pride. That was Rome pulling the strings with the help of the king and the church. We had a revolution to remove their influence from public life so we’re not about to celebrate the bitches whose heads we cut off.

You’re more likely to see people dress as Astérix and Obelix, the plucky Gauls who fought off the sophisticated but foreign romans.
Yeah, we glorify Richard the Lionheart.

Despite the fact he spent very little time , 6 months only,in England (he much preferred France) didn't speak much English, bled the country dry in taxes to fund his wars,failed in the crusade and got captured on his way home costing the country a kings ransom.......literally.
Oh and was buried in France.

fair enough really. Sounds like a great guy :sonpoint:
Richard the Lionheart really did get a good press from British history, whilst his truth is somewhat more chequered.

As mentioned above, he spent little time in England whilst King (around 6 months from 10 years), had issues with the Jewish London population (wasn't the only one, of course) - it's reported that on the day of his Coronation, he had 'thousands' of Jews killed in London - he really had little time for England was one of his quotes was that if he could sell London (to further fund his crusades), he would have.

All the above is simplified to a degree but here we often make the unfair comparison against his brother, King John/John of Lackland (as he was known - the last child in the family didn't get land inheritance and were generally expected to into the church). John was weak and far from perfect but populist history always makes Richard the hero and John the Villain, even in Disney cartoon form. The truth, as is often, somewhere away from the extremes.

Back
Top Bottom