Tim Sherwood

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mancini had hold of the best squad in the division, had been there 3 years and already won the title once. He had had a fair shot.
Tim has been there 4 months, and is already on an ultimatum it seems. We know the club want CL, and if we are honest the chances of getting it are minimal. I think Tims toast, I did from the start and comments like that really resonate now.
So do I but 4th place and the UEFA and i cant see Daniel pulling the trigger.

I guess people will take what they want from quotes, I thought it was pretty clear that they are happy with his performance so far, pointing out a simple fact that is universal in football is hardly an ultimatum, just my opinion tho.

So do I but 4th place and the UEFA and i cant see Daniel pulling the trigger.

First up - that is extremely unlikely, miniscule chances.
Second up - I think he would still. Levy has balls of steel when it comes to this sort of thing and an eye for the exptoc. If a "kudos" name became available I think he would go for it.

How, in all honesty, can they say "we think he's doing a great job" when his results aren't that different from the performances under AVB this season, including the drubbings, and we're at a point where Sherwood is having to berate his players?

"The drubbings" have been very different.

The second killer goal coming from the a wrongly awarded pen along with us being reduced to 10 men played a massive part. - At 3 down we were still fighting against city - compare that to being 3 down to liverpool and city away.

The performances have on the whole been better and we are scoring goals from open play.

Last edited:
the latter - I suspect

Unsurprisingly I dont. Hardly backing a new manager is it? "Well if he does alright we will keep him..."
Not that Im a fan of Tim staying, but Id have liked a little conviction from the board "We think Tims doing a great job and he has next season to really show what he can do..."

Such vagueness at this point just seems negative to me, like they are waiting for an excuse to change up again.

Unsurprisingly I dont. Hardly backing a new manager is it? "Well if he does alright we will keep him..."
Not that Im a fan of Tim staying, but Id have liked a little conviction from the board "We think Tims doing a great job and he has next season to really show what he can do..."

Such vagueness at this point just seems negative to me, like they are waiting for an excuse to change up again.
it was on the nuance of "and if we don't, he won't" - I interpret that as Sherwood is happy when they win and upset when they lose - rather than he's getting sacked. See it in the context of the sentence.

"The drubbings" have been very different.

The second killer wrongly goal coming from the spot with us being reduced to 10 men played a massive part. - At 3 down we were still fighting against city - compare that to being 3 down to liverpool and city away.

The performances have on the whole been better and we are Adebayor is scoring goals from open play.

Fixed*. Keep in mind when AVB was fired the squad was riddled with injuries...currently, I believe its Ade scoring most of our goals with other players banging in the occasional goal...same situation as when AVB was here minus Ade.

We are anything but a free scoring team.

Deliberately missing the point, Bravo.

I do not dislike Sherwood, yet I can still see the distinction.

The only distinction is that Sherwood is a manager and Sandro is a player.

Some people, for some bizarre reason have decided that a player (not even the captain) has more right to speak about our problems in public than the manager.

There is no distinction that makes Sandro right, and Sherwood wrong, other than personal preference of the two people.

If AVB had said it, he would have been backed. If Defoe had said it, he would have been slated. Nothing whatsoever to do with the player having more right to speak about internal affairs than the manager....he does'nt.

Im glad BOTH said it. Rather pathetic to criticise one and praise the other, based on their position....while putting down the one with the authority.

Fixed*. Keep in mind when AVB was fired the squad was riddled with injuries...currently, I believe its Ade scoring most of our goals with other players banging in the occasional goal...same situation as when AVB was here minus Ade.

We are anything but a free scoring team.

Soldado scored from open play recentty as well, if the striker is scoring goals from open play then its working, and theres also been goals from Eriksen, Chadli & Paulinho. so thats 4 of our last 8 goals not scored by Ade.

There is no way on earth Tim Sherwood will be manager next season, he was the only stopgap available in November when by definition in a world cup year any "successful" manager will be working, he has done his best we will finish 5th 6th or 7th, and I hope we win the Europa somehow but I think injuries and having such an unstable rotation of players and form will make it very difficult.

If it seems people are responding better to the Sandro story than the Sherwood one it is because Sherwood outlayed all the problems his team has post match, where as Sandro outlayed how they sat down and attempted to solve it - which is clearly a better story and gives hope to us mugs

If it seems people are responding better to the Sandro story than the Sherwood one it is because Sherwood outlayed all the problems his team has post match, where as Sandro outlayed how they sat down and attempted to solve it - which is clearly a better story and gives hope to us mugs

It doesnt really matter what TS Sherwood says though does it.......even when people agree, its followed with "But......" or in this case, "he's right, but how dare he say it"

It doesnt really matter what TS Sherwood says though does it.......even when people agree, its followed with "But......" or in this case, "he's right, but how dare he say it"

I dont know who on here said "how dare he say it" all I will say is that it looks like it seems to have spurred an all round intervention and I know from being married its best to have that really big slanging match and clear the air instead of the pent up bullshit, we will see in a few hours the impact it has had - looking forward to it

Our only hope of a top four finish, is the capitulation of Woolwich/Liverpool over the next several weeks and we go on an unbeaten run and Elvis returns from the dead and performs to a sell out crowed, for the first time ever in the UK. More chance of getting a ticket for the latter, me thinks!!

And should this happen, then I think more than ever, Sherwood has to go and someone like a LvG should be appointed to oversee a CL campaign and continue to move the club forward. Should it not happen, then I think more than ever, Sherwood has to go and someone like a LvG should be appointed to oversee our 14/15 league campaign and attempt to move the club forward!

Thank you very much!

Sir Keith Mills has given the Spurs manager his backing and believes his public criticism of his players following the Chelsea defeat just showed his emotion.

Sherwood laid into his team after the 4-0 humiliation at Chelsea last weekend saying there was "a lack of characters" - but ex-Spurs striker Gary Lineker said such public condemnation of the squad was "unwise".

Mills, the former London 2012 Olympics deputy chairman who is a non-executive director at Tottenham, said Sherwood had every right to feel emotional at the display.

Mills said: "We were playing well at Chelsea and we made some silly mistakes and we got thrashed 4-0, it happens.

"Inevitably when things don't go well the media are very keen to have inquests but if you are not prepared to take the rough with the smooth then you shouldn't be involved with football.

"He was very emotional and upset and if I had his job I would probably be emotional and upset. When he got back to the training ground I am sure he would have sat down with the players and analysed where it went wrong and try to find a way to make sure it doesn't happen again.

"This the cut and thrust and excitement of match-day but his job is to manage the team and that means understanding how each week we can improve.

"We think he is doing a great job, the results since he took over have been good and he knows like every player on the pitch that success is based on performance. He will be in a great place if we do well and if we don't he won't, the same for every player in every football club in the world."

Speaking at the Sport Pro Live conference in London, Mills said that the Spurs players had to work to cut out the kind of errors that saw Chelsea capitalise to critical effect.

He added: "The Premier League is one of the most competitive sports leagues in the world with vast amount of money spent on the teams and the players and you can't afford to make too many mistakes.

"In most sports it is the teams or the athletes that make the fewest mistakes that wins.

"Last weekend we made too many mistakes."

Mills admitted that this was a "transition year" for Tottenham with so many new players arriving in the summer as Spurs splashed out on the huge transfer fee received from Gareth Bale's move to Real Madrid.

He said: "When you bring a lot of new players as we did in the summer, several players from all over the world it takes them a long time - and longer than we would probably like - to settle in together and in the Premier League. Many had not played in the Premier League before and it is a very different experience.

"I'd like to think the vast majority of the players we brought in will develop and stay and produce the value we believe they had when we bought them.

"This year is probably for us a transition year with a large number of new players and the manager's job is to make the best of it."

Clearly, our target is no longer top 4, and I think its time to get used to the idea of getting used to Tim Sherwood being here at the start of next season.

Interesting times at the club......feels like we may be taking a big step back, in favour of building from the ground zero..?

Soldado scored from open play recentty as well, if the striker is scoring goals from open play then its working, and theres also been goals from Eriksen, Chadli & Paulinho. so thats 4 of our last 8 goals not scored by Ade.

50% of goals not by Adebayor is exactly my point. We are not scoring enough goals we are not a free flowing attacking team, and the players that did score are "occasionals"..a pop shot from Holtby here, a goal from Paulinho there, a free kick by Eriksen etc.., plan and simple. To say that the two goals from Soldado from open play this entire season (one in the league) is nothing short of a disaster is unacceptable.

Top 4 doesn't "just happen". This season and last season our goal scoring form was atrocious and it cost us big time. Having no one to bale us out is unacceptable as well. IMO, each game should be won by no less than 2-0 every week. That is the supposed caliber of this squad...and if that is not the case, it must be the expected ambitions of the club.

Back
Top Bottom