Tim Sherwood

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No fucking way would I tell Sandro to his face that he played like shit.

Interesting though and confirms what I've often feared - that we are sometimes just too nice. I've heard several players talk about how great the team spirit is and what a nice bunch of lads they all are. But sadly niceness doesn't win you trophies. If what Sandro has said is accurate I expect to see the boys come out breathing fire on Thursday and Friday.

As patches o'hoolahan once said. You gotta get meeeean. You gotta get angry!
dodge dive dip duck and dodge

Is there anything in the previous 177 pages worth reading?

The man is 'fit for purpose', that is all.

Ho hum another 'transition' season. probably followed by another.

Mostly arguments from the likes of Sammy arguing Tim is superior AVB, then Gibbs131 tipped up to make the thread about him. General baiting and biting, myself involved in an attempt to recognise the efforts of our previous manager and season. a bit about LVG too

Nothing really worth reading, I guess, but not a thread full of agreement

Whatever you want to call this ... be it an intervention, an inquest, or an awakening ... the outcome of the Chelsea match combined with the respective actions by Sherwood, could possibly be one of the best things he does for us this season. This Sherwood fella is a character, and I feel he is going make his mark big time (be it behind the scenes).

Love hearing the stuff from Sandro. A good old fashioned players meeting is always a great tactic to alter things going on. A manager can only do so much motivating, eventually it falls to the players to hold eachother accountable for their level of play on both the training pitch and in games. They need to be in it together and demand a high standard.

I remember reading in Martin Cloake and Adam Powleys book Boys of White Hart Lane about the early 80s Spurs teams that they used to have meetings every Monday after weekend games where they'd speak frankly and bollock each other about things they didn't like that were happening. They didn't hold grudges, they just got what they had to say off their chest and went and tried to improve. It feels like that's been missing and hopefully this is a sign they are sick of what's been happening on the pitch.

No fucking way would I tell Sandro to his face that he played like shit.

Interesting though and confirms what I've often feared - that we are sometimes just too nice. I've heard several players talk about how great the team spirit is and what a nice bunch of lads they all are. But sadly niceness doesn't win you trophies. If what Sandro has said is accurate I expect to see the boys come out breathing fire on Thursday and Friday.

As patches o'hoolahan once said. You gotta get meeeean. You gotta get angry!
Is that why verts look so miserable. Timmy chucking spanners at him.

At the lane tonight make or break #coys

So......should we bash Sandro for saying all that in public....?

This part was interesting:
“It helped a lot because now I can go and tell another player, and another player can tell me. The manager likes it. Everyone can go for it now and I think it will help."

I dont think TS has lost the dressing room, I feel there is a player split, or a lack of respect and leadership at least, and as Sandro points out, maybe this was the point they can move on.

I don't get why you'd play for your National Side if you didn't care about the game. No real financial reward for it, is there?
He loves playing the sport (says so in the linked article), but treats being at Lens and then Spurs are purely professional obligations and opportunities to make more money. It's probably not unlike the cliché-ed copywriter who writes for a living but also writes (poetry?) for fun. Copywriting and club football are just jobs. Poetry and playing with your friends (or representing your father's homeland) can have markedly different motivations and levels of satisfaction.

Just gonna (re?)post what Sandro said in that Telegraph article.

“We spent more than two hours in a meeting among the players and we said what we had to say,” said Sandro.

“From now on we know that we all have to listen when anyone says something.

“It was after the Chelsea match. Sometimes one player got a bit more stressed out and we tried to calm him down and talk in a nice way. We spent about two hours that way.

“Every player had their fair share to say, let’s put it this way. We all spoke amongst ourselves. Everyone was shouting.

“It helped a lot because now I can go and tell another player, and another player can tell me. The manager likes it. Everyone can go for it now and I think it will help.

“If someone is not doing their work properly, then I think now we – especially the older players – can say something because in the past we probably didn’t say anything because we didn’t want anyone to take it the wrong way.

“We will pull our sleeves up and tell whoever is not doing their job. It is not only the new players, it is
everyone. No one said things before. But now everyone knows. This is going to help us.”

“The manager is the manager,” said Sandro. “He can say more or less what he feels like.

"If he says something like that it’s because he feels some or all of us are not doing their job. From now on we will listen to his words and share them amongst ourselves and apply them on the pitch, and do whatever he wants us to do.

“We have to put our hearts on the table and pull our sleeves up for the benefit of our team and ourselves. I am sure we will show much more character in the next matches.”

Now I understand what Sherwood meant about them being too nice to each other. I didn't quite grasp what he was babbling about when he said that.

I have to say I'm happy with this, I expect to see a performance against Benfica now but the proof will be in the pudding for the Woolwich game, I fear a lot of players have the mentality of 1 good game is all that's needed.

Tim Sherwood said those exact words after Chelsea. People didnt really want to hear it though....more concerned with him saying it in public.

Sandro though is Da Man for saying it how it is...

Sandro is da man for being da man for years now. He has the CV, as Smoked Salmon Smoked Salmon might say

If its "wrong and damaging" to say it in public, it doesnt matter who the fuck is saying it.

Luckily, a good few of us backed Sherwood for saying it. We are the ones who can back Sandro for saying it.

If you thought TS was wrong, you must feel that it was also wrong of Sandro, and that he's making the situation even worse.

That, or you are just an agenda driven hypocrite.

Why oh why do we always argue on here now. TS said some strong words and the Beast has said some things.

Lets all agree that we hope it will wind the players up before KO and they smash the fuck out of Benfica and the scum.

Amen

Luckily, a good few of us backed Sherwood for saying it. We are the ones who can back Sandro for saying it.

Oh do fuck off sammy. Some of us neither backed or said anything against Sherwood for saying what he said and even if we did not back him who the fuck are you to say we can't back Sandro because of it? Get off your giant cucumber already.

He loves playing the sport (says so in the linked article), but treats being at Lens and then Spurs are purely professional obligations and opportunities to make more money. It's probably not unlike the cliché-ed copywriter who writes for a living but also writes (poetry?) for fun. Copywriting and club football are just jobs. Poetry and playing with your friends (or representing your father's homeland) can have markedly different motivations and levels of satisfaction.
ive actually always respected him for saying this at least you know where you stand with him

If its "wrong and damaging" to say it in public, it doesnt matter who the fuck is saying it.

If you thought TS was wrong, you must feel that it was also wrong of Sandro, and that he's making the situation even worse.

This is your usual BS of drawing absolutes in every situation to try and win arguments on ultimatums.

If you dont seen a huge difference between a player commenting and a manager commenting Id suggest taking your little victory right there and keeping it to yourself.

One leads the team, the club even, and needs to show authority and control at all times.
The other is supposed to be more outwardly passionate.

Managers have used players (often captains) as mouthpieces in the past to preserve exactly that balance.

I dont condemn what Sherwood has said at all, I agree with it whole heartedly. I condemn that he said it in such a way as he did - it almost never works to the managers benefir (See Phil Brown at Hull!)

Sandro? I like hearing it from him. Then I like hearing anything from him, but its more a case of "Ill believe it when I see it" right now. This proves some players are willing to give it a go, it doesnt prove it will or has worked.

Well, Sandro is in a different position because he's a player and he's not the man who will ultimately be held responsible. Unlike Sherwood, it is most likely that he has been told to come out and say this for PR purposes.

Still, what does it matter to you that others are a hypocrite? Just maintain your position and be done with it.

Personally I still think there are red flags in what Sandro says. Firstly the comment that they will be listening to Sherwood from now on sends out an alarming message that they haven't been so far, and also the fact that he says that everyone has been shouting at each other this week. So they may have been too nice to each other before, but I certainly hope he means shouting on the training pitch as opposed to anywhere else as I'm not sure a load of players at each others throats is the solution either.

Still, I guess we're shortly gonna find out if it all works.

Back
Top Bottom