Tim Sherwood

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I suspect that Levy will make it absolutely clear, if he feels that Sherwood wants X, Y and Z gone, that the onus is on Sherwood to achieve what AVB couldn't last year in an attractive way. That is the only way he will stay beyond the end of the season AND the only way he gets control over ins and outs.
Very tall order for someone so inexperienced.

Very tall order for someone so inexperienced.

True, but then as a manager you have to succeed on three fronts (at Tottenham at least): attractive football, victorious football and personality.

AVB: victorious football, some personality (split opinion)
Harry Redknapp: victorious football, attractive football - personality became sourer and sourer (which coincided with the loss of the former two in the run up to his dismissal.

TS at present: has the former two and the latter is up for debate. Time will tell.

Sherwood - When asked if he was willing to let players go, he said: "Yes, absolutely. As long as they're the players I don't want to take us forwards, then I'm happy (to sell them).

Sorry but this is not on. For starters, Tim Sherwood is not the manager to take us forwards and anyone who thinks he will be in charge at the start of next season should think again, therefore he is in no position to decide which players he wants to take us forward. If players want to leave because they aren't played enough or because Sherwood doesn't even know much about them (which by the way is ridiculous for a 'professional' coach) then so be it but the likes of Holtby and Capoue are good players so surely loan them out if they HAVE to go and let the manager next season decide if he wants them or not.

I cannot believe our plan after sacking AVB was to employ Tim Sherwood long term, he surely is just temporary whether he likes it or not. Sure he is doing okay but this is mainly due to the freedom the players have on the pitch compared to the tactics of AVB but he seems to have little tactical knowledge other than all out attack in a 4-4-2.
Bring in Van Gaal in the summer and thank Sherwood for helping us through a tough period, do not even consider letting him have a say in transfers. Ridiculous.

Tim Sherwood is our manager. Whilst he is our manager, he should have the final say on who he wants in the squad. Deal with it.

YOU may think he isn't the manager to take us forward but as far as real life decisions go, your opinion doesn't mean diddly squat.

Tim Sherwood is our manager. Whilst he is our manager, he should have the final say on who he wants in the squad. Deal with it.

YOU may think he isn't the manager to take us forward but as far as real life decisions go, your opinion doesn't mean diddly squat.

I doubt that many really consider him to be a full time appointee in anything other than name.

The inclusion of Baldini is an indication that Levy et al want a more long term footballing strategy in place at the club. I suspect that any signings and departures will have to be rubber stamped by Baldini, if not by Levy.

I can accept that the AVB 'project' has failed. However, to dismantle everything that's been put in place because of his departure would be a huge failure. And allowing TS to dictate ins and outs does fall under that because it basically makes Baldini redundant.

I doubt that many really consider him to be a full time appointee in anything other than name.

The inclusion of Baldini is an indication that Levy et al want a more long term footballing strategy in place at the club. I suspect that any signings and departures will have to be rubber stamped by Baldini, if not by Levy.

I can accept that the AVB 'project' has failed. However, to dismantle everything that's been put in place because of his departure would be a huge failure. And allowing TS to dictate ins and outs does fall under that because it basically makes Baldini redundant.

The full time thing is an opinion (mainly held by the anti-Sherwood bridge), and nothing more. He is our manager, he is doing well, and he should have a say in transfers. No argument to be had really.

The full time thing is an opinion (mainly held by the anti-Sherwood bridge), and nothing more. He is our manager, he is doing well, and he should have a say in transfers. No argument to be had really.
Bore off - this is a discussion board. Who are you exactly to censor opinion?

I hope you don't get offended but I disagree entirely.

Just because he's our manager doesn't mean he has full control over transfers - Baldini and Levy are involved in that too.

If he starts doing worse, does his power wane and he's made into a lame duck manager?

He shouldn't be allowed to sell players based on what he think is the squad to go forward period. Frightening quotes!
But how much power does he have over transfers anyway? Even though we spent around 100 mil last summer on players, we still brought players that AVB didn't want (and didn't bring some that he wanted - Hulk or Moutinho two summers ago). I don't believe Sherwood has more power than AVB had when it comes to transfers, it's Levy who is pulling the strings yet again.

I hope you don't get offended but I disagree entirely.

Just because he's our manager doesn't mean he has full control over transfers - Baldini and Levy are involved in that too.

If he starts doing worse, does his power wane and he's made into a lame duck manager?

Where did I say 'full control'? I said have a say. Find me where I said 'full control'?

Quite frankly any manager should have at least "a say" in transfers. For some people (not you) to suggest he should be nowhere near transfers is quite frankly absurd.

And no I am not offended. :)

Quite frankly any manager should have at least "a say" in transfers. For some people (not you) to suggest he should be nowhere near transfers is quite frankly absurd.

Fair play - but I'd just say shuffling a player out the door (in a position where we only have one magnificent-but-injury-prone alternative in Sandro) would be premature.

Fair play - but I'd just say shuffling a player out the door (in a position where we only have one magnificent-but-injury-prone alternative in Sandro) would be premature.

Maybe so. Premature or not though, I just think as our manager, Sherwood should be involved in transfers, whether I personally agree with his decisions or not. :)

But how much power does he have over transfers anyway? Even though we spent around 100 mil last summer on players, we still brought players that AVB didn't want (and didn't bring some that he wanted - Hulk or Moutinho two summers ago). I don't believe Sherwood has more power than AVB had when it comes to transfers, it's Levy who is pulling the strings yet again.
I'm worried he might be hasty to discard some of the new signings based on little evidence and could potentially lose players with great potential. Of course, Levy's policy is all to clear almost a decade now.

Out or interest - has Baldini given any interviews of late (or ever for that matter)?

I'm worried he might be hasty to discard some of the new signings based on little evidence and could potentially lose players with great potential. Of course, Levy's policy is all to clear almost a decade now.
I wouldn't sell any of our players until summer, we lacked squad depth last season so why get rid of some players that could prove to be useful in the long run?

Yes, perhaps we could get more for some players if we sell them now, but even if that may be wise from a financial perspective (short term), it definitely wouldn't be wise from a footballing perspective.

When he says "he's been asked to play in reserve games" it suggests to me that Capoue wasn't too keen on the idea.
I find that a little disturbing from Capoue's point of view - I'm sure when he was singing the intention was to be an integral part or the matchday 18.

And if Tim is still looking to familiarize himself with all the players - why let some of them go so soon?

I don't think we ll sell anyone in Jan - and if we do - more fool Levy for allowing this fucking circus. No team has invested this heavily in new talent with potential only to discard it 5 months later.

Back
Top Bottom