Tim Sherwood

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I wouldn't sell any of our players until summer, we lacked squad depth last season so why get rid of some players that could prove to be useful in the long run?

Yes, perhaps we could get more for some players if we sell them now, but even if that may be wise from a financial perspective (short term), it definitely wouldn't be wise from a footballing perspective.
Agree entirely - one of Arry's biggest gripes was the fact we could (at the time) rotate so little and ended up falling short towards the end of the season when injuries and fatigue took their toll. His squads compared to the current spoil of choice is quite remarkable

Now - following our best transfer window in decades, we have substantial squad depth and we're looking to shoot ourselves in the foot again.

I hope you don't get offended but I disagree entirely.

Just because he's our manager doesn't mean he has full control over transfers - Baldini and Levy are involved in that too.

If he starts doing worse, does his power wane and he's made into a lame duck manager?
He's our interim manager and bar a miracle this season would be replaced in the summer with another 'AVB' (in terms of promise and stature - manager of 'potential'). Number of names would become available after the WC so allowing Timmeh to dismantle Levy and Baldini's good work would be unwise, especially considering most of our new purchases would only increase in value from here on.

Is Lamela also playing with the Reserves?

A bit like the reaction the managerial community gave after we sacked AVB 'prematurely', my worry is that players will look at Holtby and Capoue departing so soon and think fuck joining that mess of a club.

Not to mention that both of those players would be in or close to most people's strongest XI's

Tim Sherwood is our manager. Whilst he is our manager, he should have the final say on who he wants in the squad. Deal with it.
Football doesn't really work like that though these days, does it? Arguably the people who own the club and finance it has just as much a say, and rightly so considering the multi-million pound industry that football is.

I also think that fans are entitled to have a view on what the manager says and does since we pay into the club by way of ticket sales, membership and merchandise. You may not agree with everyone's opinion, but I think fans have a right to be concerned what happens, whoever the manager might be.

A bit like the reaction the managerial community gave after we sacked AVB 'prematurely', my worry is that players will look at Holtby and Capoue departing so soon and think fuck joining that mess of a club.

Not to mention that both of those players would be in or close to most people's strongest XI's
Quite true - the message sent out to future transfer targets would be quite a riveting one - laughing stock of the PL and one where agents have more control than anyone else. Levy needs to step in here, pull rank, issue a press release we're not selling anyone and end this clownfest now, before it finds its way into our dressing room.

Football doesn't really work like that though these days, does it? Arguably the people who own the club and finance it has just as much a say, and rightly so considering the multi-million pound industry that football is.

I also think that fans are entitled to have a view on what the manager says and does since we pay into the club by way of ticket sales, membership and merchandise. You may not agree with everyone's opinion, but I think fans have a right to be concerned what happens, whoever the manager might be.

That's fair enough. It just annoys me when people bang on about him being our interim manager. No he is not. He is our manager until he is replaced. The manager (of any) football team should have a say in transfers. Ok, with our DoF set up, maybe not the final say, but they should still have an input, regardless of people's opinions on who should or should not be sold.

My opinion.

While Liverpool held on to their star-man in the summer, we buckled (again) and sold ours. I could somehow swallow that seeing that the funds received were re-invested wisely for once. To see all that go to the shitter 5 months later would be most disappointing.

That's fair enough. It just annoys me when people bang on about him being our interim manager. No he is not. He is our manager until he is replaced. The manager (of any) football team should have a say in transfers. Ok, with our DoF set up, maybe not the final say, but they should still have an input, regardless of people's opinions on who should or should not be sold.

My opinion.
Of course he should have input, but as I said earlier on, I think Levy has shot himself in the foot with this one. Call me a tin foil hat man but I'm still not convinced he plans to keep Weasel around for the long term - but, at the same time, can't really be seen to undermine Sherwood at this stage, which I think would be farcical and would immediately harm both Weasel's own confidence and possibly that of the players.

So, interim manager or not, I don't think Levy has left himself much room for maneuver and must be seen to back Sherwood come what may.

Mind you, it is Levy, so I suppose anything is possible....:bmj:

While Liverpool held on to their star-man in the summer, we buckled (again) and sold ours. I could somehow swallow that seeing that the funds received were re-invested wisely for once. To see all that go to the shitter 5 months later would be most disappointing.
This whole thing about retaining our star man is, to me, a false argument. Bale was going sooner or later. If not last summer, then maybe next or the year after, but at some point we'd have to restructure for life without him, and maybe with a smaller transfer fee to do it with. Anyone who thinks we could have built the side around him and he'd have stayed for years on end just aren't in touch with reality. I hate to say it, but he was too good for us to keep hold of him for that long.

There's nothing to say that buck tooth won't itch for a move out of Liverpool this summer if they don't get CL. They may have simply done with him what we did with Modric.

Of course he should have input, but as I said earlier on, I think Levy has shot himself in the foot with this one. Call me a tin foil hat man but I'm still not convinced he plans to keep Weasel around for the long term - but, at the same time, can't really be seen to undermine Sherwood at this stage, which I think would be farcical and would immediately harm both Weasel's own confidence and possibly that of the players.

So, interim manager or not, I don't think Levy has left himself much room for maneuver and must be seen to back Sherwood come what may.

Mind you, it is Levy, so I suppose anything is possible....:bmj:

Levy will just fire everybody and sell all our top players if shit gets wobbly under Sherwood, then start "the project" over for the umpteenth time

:levywtf:

My comment was more in line with our transfer policy of buying cheap and selling for profit which still appears to be in denial with some. Of course Bale was too good for us but the whole hollow propaganda of 'wanting to keep our best players' is just that - so now that we've managed to re-invest the money well, why go and piss over it again?

My comment was more in line with our transfer policy of buying cheap and selling for profit which still appears to be in denial with some. Of course Bale was too good for us but the whole hollow propaganda of 'wanting to keep our best players' is just that - so now that we've managed to re-invest the money well, why go and piss over it again?
Oh, I agree. It's just that I think there is a risk that Levy will feel that the club must be seen to be backing Weasel so the risk of it being dismantled is nonetheless there.

I mean, Daniel doesn't want to risk another strongly worded letter from THST does he? :adegrin:

Ah so now @ welshiespursboy welshiespursboy goes through all my posts and dislikes them, maturity at it's finest.

It's a discussion board my friend, we are allowed to have different opinions and views - sort of the whole point.

Because you didn't do it to me?! #uhohcaughtout!

internet_serious_business_framed.jpg

This is what some ITK mong is saying over on COYS.....

Ok as it stands we are looking to move on Holtby, Capoue if Napoli pay what we want, Chadli will most likely stay no firm interest.
A lot of senior players not happy as Atlanta said, guess by today's press conference you can see why.
If Tim stays in summer Baldini goes, very different views, Lamela is fit hence no urgent search for a striker but they are looking.
Incomings on Radar English number 2 keeper, old English LB and CH, though this may change if Baldini can influence matters.
We need more over 21 home grown players.

The bit I've put in bold, was there something else in the press conference that we've not been discussing?

Nope - just said he's happy to sell players he doesn't see as necessary to move the club forward.

Did jetsetcunt write that btw? He's lower than a sewer rat and knows absolutely fuck all.

Back
Top Bottom