Tim Sherwood

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sherwood - When asked if he was willing to let players go, he said: "Yes, absolutely. As long as they're the players I don't want to take us forwards, then I'm happy (to sell them).

Sorry but this is not on. For starters, Tim Sherwood is not the manager to take us forwards and anyone who thinks he will be in charge at the start of next season should think again, therefore he is in no position to decide which players he wants to take us forward. If players want to leave because they aren't played enough or because Sherwood doesn't even know much about them (which by the way is ridiculous for a 'professional' coach) then so be it but the likes of Holtby and Capoue are good players so surely loan them out if they HAVE to go and let the manager next season decide if he wants them or not.

I cannot believe our plan after sacking AVB was to employ Tim Sherwood long term, he surely is just temporary whether he likes it or not. Sure he is doing okay but this is mainly due to the freedom the players have on the pitch compared to the tactics of AVB but he seems to have little tactical knowledge other than all out attack in a 4-4-2.
Bring in Van Gaal in the summer and thank Sherwood for helping us through a tough period, do not even consider letting him have a say in transfers. Ridiculous.

Well... This is ridiculous... Of fucking course our current manager thinks he is the one to take us forward and of course he will want players he doesn't want to be sold. It's not Sherwood's fault for him wanting his unwanted players to leave. It's Levy's job to keep the players here. I do not believe Sherwood is the manaher to take us "forwards." But to say regardless of what he does Van Gaal should be brought in is ridiculous. Also to say that he has "little tactical knowledge other than all out attack in a 4-4-2" is ridiculous. He has had, what, 5 games? He has chosen to play our new 30m striker and our best player, arguably, over the past two weeks together. And because of that he has little tactical knowledge? He tried it, it worked, it kept with it. Let's see what he does after we lose a game or two, before we say that.

Van Gaal is wanted by you. I don't know if he is the right man. I wouldn't be opposed to having him, but I don't know if i want him. Our team needs to develop and as Sammy remarked "gel." They are new to the PL and to each other. They are almost all young players with big potentials. I'm not sure Van Gaal is the man that would properly develop all this young talent. I think de Boer can develop this talent, I'm not sure about Van Gaal.

Well... This is ridiculous... Of fucking course our current manager thinks he is the one to take us forward and of course he will want players he doesn't want to be sold. It's not Sherwood's fault for him wanting his unwanted players to leave. It's Levy's job to keep the players here. I do not believe Sherwood is the manaher to take us "forwards." But to say regardless of what he does Van Gaal should be brought in is ridiculous. Also to say that he has "little tactical knowledge other than all out attack in a 4-4-2" is ridiculous. He has had, what, 5 games? He has chosen to play our new 30m striker and our best player, arguably, over the past two weeks together. And because of that he has little tactical knowledge? He tried it, it worked, it kept with it. Let's see what he does after we lose a game or two, before we say that.

Van Gaal is wanted by you. I don't know if he is the right man. I wouldn't be opposed to having him, but I don't know if i want him. Our team needs to develop and as Sammy remarked "gel." They are new to the PL and to each other. They are almost all young players with big potentials. I'm not sure Van Gaal is the man that would properly develop all this young talent. I think de Boer can develop this talent, I'm not sure about Van Gaal.

I'm not saying I don't back Sherwood, at the end of the day he is our manager and I back him but not some of the things he is doing. It is true that we haven't seen enough yet and that he hasn't been manager for long but he's been at the club for a while so not knowing about players he says he watches train every day is inexcusable.
With regards to De Boer/Van Gaal, I would be very happy with either though it seems like Van Gaal is the guy we are after and we approached him after sacking AVB. As I say I do not dislike Sherwood and I am backing him whilst he's our manager I just do not think he is the man to take us forwards.and if he was allowed to make decisions regarding our playing staff it would be a mistake.

I'm not sure Van Gaal is the man that would properly develop all this young talent. I think de Boer can develop this talent, I'm not sure about Van Gaal.
Patrick Kluivert, the De Boer brothers, Clarence Seedorf, Edgar Davids, Edwin van der, Thomas Muller, David Alaba and Toni Kroos are a few of the players Van Gaal had a pivotal role in developing at a young age when they first broke through. He spotted Muller and Alaba from Bayern's academy himself!

Patrick Kluivert, the De Boer brothers, Clarence Seedorf, Edgar Davids, Edwin van der, Thomas Muller, David Alaba and Toni Kroos are a few of the players Van Gaal had a pivotal role in developing at a young age when they first broke through. He spotted Muller and Alaba from Bayern's academy himself!

Pretty clearly, you know more about his development than I do. I said I do not really know, because I dont know a whole lot else than he left Ajax in shambles.

I'm not saying I don't back Sherwood, at the end of the day he is our manager and I back him but not some of the things he is doing. It is true that we haven't seen enough yet and that he hasn't been manager for long but he's been at the club for a while so not knowing about players he says he watches train every day is inexcusable.
With regards to De Boer/Van Gaal, I would be very happy with either though it seems like Van Gaal is the guy we are after and we approached him after sacking AVB. As I say I do not dislike Sherwood and I am backing him whilst he's our manager I just do not think he is the man to take us forwards.and if he was allowed to make decisions regarding our playing staff it would be a mistake.

Do you not just think he might not just have been being politically correct.
He is certainly not going to say in a press conference that he just thinks that Bentaleb is a better player than Capoue or Holtby, in case we don't sell them.
Of course he knows these players, (as will Ramsey, as will Freund) and a lot better, and with a lot more experienced judgement than anybody on here.
If he didn't know the players why would he already have said that he sees Chadli and Lamela as support strikers.

Pretty clearly, you know more about his development than I do. I said I do not really know, because I dont know a whole lot else than he left Ajax in shambles.
Id be very surprised if he didn't help the development of players like Lamela, Carroll, Kane and Bentaleb. He seems to pride himself on bringing through youth talent. The Ajax way, total football and all those other Dutch traits and cliches

That's fair enough. It just annoys me when people bang on about him being our interim manager. No he is not. He is our manager until he is replaced. The manager (of any) football team should have a say in transfers. Ok, with our DoF set up, maybe not the final say, but they should still have an input, regardless of people's opinions on who should or should not be sold.

My opinion.

Sherwood is 3 or 4 bad defeats away from the sack, that's all villas boas got.....by the end of the transfer winow we could have someone else in charge.

Sherwood is 3 or 4 bad defeats away from the sack, that's all villas boas got.....by the end of the transfer winow we could have someone else in charge.

You are really starting to sound like its something you are hoping for...

"If anyone thinks that the negativity doesnt seep into the fans at the ground, and then the players they are wrong"
Blanchflower, Pre Sherwood

:avbfu:

Sherwood is going no where before the summer.

At which point I suspect he will leave the club. I cant shake the idea Levy has van Gall lined up (or will have someone lined up) and that Sherwood is only short term no matter what.

I cannot see him stepping back into his old role, or sticking around on the support staff after that.

However, he will then no doubt walk into another management job with a healthy paycheck in his pocket, so Im sure he wont be too devestated

You are really starting to sound like its something you are hoping for...

"If anyone thinks that the negativity doesnt seep into the fans at the ground, and then the players they are wrong"
Blanchflower, Pre Sherwood

:avbfu:

I believed we had long term plans before, there is no way any one can suggest sacking villas boas, replacing him with Sherwood and seemingly looking to sell several players we signed less than a year ago is at all planned.

So, we are essentially being run month to month from the top down - the only certainty is there will be more change and upheaval IMO.

I believed we had long term plans before, there is no way any one can suggest sacking villas boas, replacing him with Sherwood and seemingly looking to sell several players we signed less than a year ago is at all planned.

So, we are essentially being run month to month from the top down - the only certainty is there will be more change and upheaval IMO.

There will be more change unless TS can take us into the CL, and then keep us in it.

The problem with certain fans is, that they hate him, and thats that as far as they are concerned. Its not about the football to some of these fans. Its not about selling Capoue, or dropping Holtby, or playing 442, or about the uncertainty Levy has created. Its not about Sherwood being an Woolwich fan as a kid, or not playing Lamela straight away. Or picking Bentaleb. Or wearing a tracksuit.

Its all about pining after AVB, because they were so desperately convinced he was going to be the next Bill Nic.

Well pine away, but constantly predicting the wheels are going to fall off just makes you sound like every other fan in the country when Harry took over (oh yeah, most you were the same people who hated his guts too.....odd....not trendy enough for todays Twitter football fan eh?)

Remember back then? When we would never beat arse, Chelsea and City in the run in? Then we would NEVER qualify anyway? Then we would NEVER get through the group? Then we would NEVER beat Milan?

Then we would NEVER beat Real....HAHAAAAAAAA TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!

Well, for all TS shortcomings, he brought some BELIEF back for many of us.

For others, its simply a case of "well the next game is the real test"........win that game........."well the next game is the real test"...........repeat until we win something......then say he inherited AVBs squad ....
(who it was previously argued that had all these players signed above his head by Baldini.....)

:paulinhofacepalm:

My only hope is that as least damage is done transfer wise until the summer as possible when a permanent replacement comes in. This is not Timmeh's fault by the way - DL got it monumentally wrong by not having a proper replacement lined up and acting on impulse

I think he ll be with us till the summer whereby he ll leave with a golden handshake and possibly take on a newly promoted team or another bottom 10 outfit and kick-start his management career. I'd wish him all the beast - as long as he's as far away from us as possible.

If Sherwood gets us top 4, or even 5th, he would have done us, and himself, proud. And I would see no reason why we'd get rid of him. Louis Van Gaal might be available after the World Cup? So what. If TS achieves what we can reasonably expect as Spurs fans, then we shouldn't try and fix something that isn't broken.
Fuck me, LvG is just as likely to come in and rip our team apart as he is to qualify for CL or better.

If Sherwood gets us top 4, or even 5th, he would have done us, and himself, proud. And I would see no reason why we'd get rid of him. Louis Van Gaal might be available after the World Cup? So what. If TS achieves what we can reasonably expect as Spurs fans, then we shouldn't try and fix something that isn't broken.
Fuck me, LvG is just as likely to come in and rip our team apart as he is to qualify for CL or better.

He has to finish 4th and / or win the europa to stay on imo

Agreed, Sherwood has been at the club for a while so he knows levy and the setup well which means he has some understanding of the politics of the club , obviously very well because he was given the top job. If he does well this season I say we stick with him because he can provide a degree of stability we desperately need. If we sack him at the end of the season it's a massive risk as van Gael May not get on with levy or not get enough power for his liking and leave. In my opinion a foreign manager is a bigger risk than ts and I don't see why we cannot use a club man for the job if he proves himself .

Back
Top Bottom