Tim Sherwood

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

...I cant shake the idea Levy has van Gall lined up...

van Gall seems like perfect choice to me, has been there, done that, at the highest level. Would command respect from experienced players like Lloris, Vertonghen, Ade, Dembele, but also develop the likes likes of Walker, Lamela, Eriksen.

*edit* Speaks great English too, which places him in front of Capello *edit*

Biggest gripe for me, is would he actually come to Spurs? Looking at his management CV, except AZ we would easily be the smallest club there.

Last edited:
He has to finish 4th and / or win the europa to stay on imo
I think this as well. However, it may be that Levy gives him until the end of next season to do it. I think that's a possibility we need to prepare for. I reckon it boils down to who is available for the job in the summer. If someone like LvG is and says "I'll only come this year" then that may be the decider. But it's worth remembering that Levy hasn't even sacked anyone after just six months.

van Gall seems like perfect choice to me, has been there, done that, at the highest level. Would command respect from experienced players like Lloris, Vertonghen, Ade, Dembele, but also develop the likes likes of Walker, Lamela, Eriksen.

Biggest gripe for me, is would he actually come to Spurs? Looking at his management CV, except AZ we would easily be the smallest club there.
He would based on the noises he's made about wanting to manage in England. But I'm worried that United will sack Moyes and he'll go there instead. Levy should've tied him up for the summer already. But then if you do that you pretty much write off the rest of the season since Weasel would've been immediately undermined.

There will be more change unless TS can take us into the CL, and then keep us in it.

The problem with certain fans is, that they hate him, and thats that as far as they are concerned. Its not about the football to some of these fans. Its not about selling Capoue, or dropping Holtby, or playing 442, or about the uncertainty Levy has created. Its not about Sherwood being an Woolwich fan as a kid, or not playing Lamela straight away. Or picking Bentaleb. Or wearing a tracksuit.

Its all about pining after AVB, because they were so desperately convinced he was going to be the next Bill Nic.

Well pine away, but constantly predicting the wheels are going to fall off just makes you sound like every other fan in the country when Harry took over (oh yeah, most you were the same people who hated his guts too.....odd....not trendy enough for todays Twitter football fan eh?)

Remember back then? When we would never beat arse, Chelsea and City in the run in? Then we would NEVER qualify anyway? Then we would NEVER get through the group? Then we would NEVER beat Milan?

Then we would NEVER beat Real....HAHAAAAAAAA TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!

Well, for all TS shortcomings, he brought some BELIEF back for many of us.

For others, its simply a case of "well the next game is the real test"........win that game........."well the next game is the real test"...........repeat until we win something......then say he inherited AVBs squad ....
(who it was previously argued that had all these players signed above his head by Baldini.....)

:paulinhofacepalm:

yes and 2+2=5 , the issue is no longer about AVB. It is about the sustainable development of a squad than can compete for champions league AND domestic cups in years to come. I don't like sherwood's attitude towards certain players. In his latest interview he fails to emphasise that he dropped Holtby and Capoue for FOOTBALL reasons and suggested it was more personal than anything

In his latest interview he has gone on to slag southampton, saying our expectations are way higher than theirs and that townsend would walk into their team. The guy needs some tact and needs to get on with his job rather saying things that make him look like an idiot.

You are really starting to sound like its something you are hoping for...

"If anyone thinks that the negativity doesnt seep into the fans at the ground, and then the players they are wrong"
Blanchflower, Pre Sherwood

:avbfu:

Negativity also seeps from the top down. How is lord sugar who is on the board of directors allowed to slag off the manager and players. Not long ago he was calling adebayor shit and making some remark about Soldado.It is rubbish to think we really have any influence on the pitch with our opinions on forums.

In his latest interview he has gone on to slag southampton, saying our expectations are way higher than theirs and that townsend would walk into their team. The guy needs some tact and needs to get on with his job rather saying things that make him look like an idiot.
Pretty much why his results are the only reason I'm still giving him support. The arrogance he's shown in interviews has made me instantly dislike him - and his comments, as you say, betray his inexperience. Hell, this was a guy I used to have on a shirt many years ago. I had hopes for much more, despite my reservations at his appointment.

If he starts losing games, and worse still messing around with the squad, I think it'll be the first time ever that I'll be jumping on the manager out bandwagon.

Negativity also seeps from the top down. How is lord sugar who is on the board of directors allowed to slag off the manager and players. Not long ago he was calling adebayor shit and making some remark about Soldado.It is rubbish to think we really have any influence on the pitch with our opinions on forums.
Sugar is not in the board anymore

I thought Sugar sold his remaining stake in the club?

I'm not fussed about English, foreign, young, old, black, white, gay, straight, experienced, new, suit, tracksuit - I just don't think you can hire a manager and then sack him when he meets his targets just because you think there is a better candidate.

Imagine Sherwood finishing 4th and we replace him? We would look like the biggest bunch of cunts, and we'd be a fucking laughing stock.

Imagine Sherwood finishing 4th and we replace him? We would look like the biggest bunch of cunts, and we'd be a fucking laughing stock.
We did it before.

People hated Harry, but I never did. I didn't like his attitude with the press, but the way I saw it he was still the best PL we'd had and England job or not, he still finished fourth that year. I always said at the time that if he was to go then it had to be for someone better. Neither AVB nor Weasel are (at least not so far). The most they are is on the same level. So I think Levy is more than capable of getting rid of Timmy, irrespective of the laughing stock and illogical elements. I really do think anything is possible these days with the way the club is run.

yes and 2+2=5 , the issue is no longer about AVB. It is about the sustainable development of a squad than can compete for champions league AND domestic cups in years to come. I don't like sherwood's attitude towards certain players. In his latest interview he fails to emphasise that he dropped Holtby and Capoue for FOOTBALL reasons and suggested it was more personal than anything

Well Holtby and Capoue have not exactly been overly needed.....not like say, Ade, Caulker, VDV, Eriksen and BAE.....

There are two scenarios.
In years to come, Sherwood has taken us to the next level
In years to come, he has been replaced

Again, we've had 7 or 8 players out in the MONTH since Sherwood took over. It seems like people were happy to give AVB this whole season to *cough* GEL the squad.....but Sherwood had the West Ham Cup game as his judgement day.....

He has not had a full squad.....yet he has utilised what he has had well...... Harping on about fringe players possibly leaving is a weak as fuck...

I'm not fussed about English, foreign, young, old, black, white, gay, straight, experienced, new, suit, tracksuit - I just don't think you can hire a manager and then sack him when he meets his targets just because you think there is a better candidate.

It will look worse because if we get 4th we will get it playing attacking football and overcoming good opposition in Liverpool and Everton. It would be a bad move even if a big name came to replace him.

My worry is Timmy's lack of media handling skills could be even more embarrassing if results go tits up again. He comes across as 'one of the boys' which is great to see on one hand but on the other you want someone who can be diplomatic and fend off tricky questions. Anyway we are still up there so we should back him and and the team. On that point let's hear some songs down the Lane, I've heard more noise in a morgue!

Pretty much why his results are the only reason I'm still giving him support. The arrogance he's shown in interviews has made me instantly dislike him - and his comments, as you say, betray his inexperience. Hell, this was a guy I used to have on a shirt many years ago. I had hopes for much more, despite my reservations at his appointment.

If he starts losing games, and worse still messing around with the squad, I think it'll be the first time ever that I'll be jumping on the manager out bandwagon.

Half the points we have won, we have been quite lucky to get.

Someone needs to get his feet on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom