Timo Werner

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A signing fitting of our Europa League, 5th/6th place level.

The finances behind it are good, which is why it happened.

Think we can be confident Werner, Johnson and Solomon will be 3 of our 4/5 wide forwards next season, calling Son and Kulusevski central players.

So I remain hopeful we can still bring in 1 or 2 Champions League quality wide forwards this summer, but this is a very Tottenham type of signing which is a bit disappointing honestly.

Werner and Johnson on the wings for us for another season.

The Iconic Face Melting Scene from Indiana Jones

A signing fitting of our Europa League, 5th/6th place level.

The finances behind it are good, which is why it happened.

Think we can be confident Werner, Johnson and Solomon will be 3 of our 4/5 wide forwards next season, calling Son and Kulusevski central players.

So I remain hopeful we can still bring in 1 or 2 Champions League quality wide forwards this summer, but this is a very Tottenham type of signing which is a bit disappointing honestly.

Bit of a stretch to call those two wide players - I'd be surprised if both don't play most of their games out wide

.........And then if it turns out (eg) Moore needs more time to develop before becoming a full-time senior then you're a man short with a fuck tonne of EL and traveling to do with only Sonny carrying the load.

Strategically that's when a loan (rather than blocking the way with a senior purchase) starts to make some sense.... If one's concern is path-way, that is. If Mikey cuts the mustard then the loanee is gone at the end of the season.

Should that loanee be Werner? .......See above for a multitude of individual opinions on that question.
He’s already gotten some minutes in the prem, he wouldn’t have gotten them if the club didn’t think he was ready.

So why not let him get some minutes next season in the EL?

Bit of a stretch to call those two wide players - I'd be surprised if both don't play most of their games out wide
Son I can only see playing out wide if we bring in a top class centre forward. They cost a lot of money, so I'm not able to imagine it. He will end up our best centre forward again next season.

Kulusevski I think has been getting moved central more often as the season went on with arguably better results. False 9 or rotation with Maddison seems likely to me.

If we do call those 2 wide players there's not really any room in the squad to bring in more wide forwards.

We were always going to sign him, he's cheap, he's experienced and he's lively. Yes his finishing is cack but he is a good chaos-causer a la Darwin Nunez. He also seems to really want to be here, which is very important.

Perfectly acceptable replacement for Solomon and I'm sure Ange is happy to have him.

This player was signed for both economical and football reasons. Which is perfectly fine. He did a good job for us last season and will be a good player to have in our squad for Thursday nights.

He did a bang average job for us last season and will do a bang average job for us next season as well.

Less than a goal or assist every other game in this setup? Missing more chances than he scored?

Nahhhh.

He’s already gotten some minutes in the prem, he wouldn’t have gotten them if the club didn’t think he was ready.

He played 3 mins FFS!

Regardless; 'getting minutes' isn't the same as starting games the fan-base will be expecting us to win comfortably(*).

Are you REALLY saying you'd be happy enough to only have Son & a 16 y/o Moore in the squad for LW? ....It's not even his primary position!

(*Remember peeps want us to go all out to win the EL?)

He will still only be 17 next season.

Minutes at that age need to be managed very, very carefully to avoid loss of confidence/injury/later career burn out.

Having a forward who can't even finish his fucking dinner is just daft. I was happy with him for 6 months as a stop gap to fill in for injuries, but for another season?

Hard nope.

But first for the cost to support the club.

Isn’t there part of you that wouldn’t enjoy seeing what it would be like if we were first in the net spend and went really hard chasing success?
What like Chelsea?!

How’s that working out for them on a PSR/FFP basis?

We don’t necessarily need to spend big IMHO, we need to spend smart.

He played 3 mins FFS!

Regardless; 'getting minutes' isn't the same as starting games the fan-base will be expecting us to win comfortably(*).

Are you REALLY saying you'd be happy enough to only have Son & a 16 y/o Moore in the squad for LW? ....It's not even his primary position!

(*Remember peeps want us to go all out to win the EL?)
Being given any minutes at all shows that the club believe that the player is ready to play.

The whole point of having an academy is for situations like this, having a player in the squad who can sit on the bench and cover those minutes instead of having to go into the market for another option player. That way you can use the funds to try and buy better players.

Giving Werner 165k a week to sit on the bench most of the time just to come off and find a yard of space to spam crosses and cutbacks against tired legs isn't the answer.

Back
Top Bottom