"TITLE RACE" ( There is no sense not talking about it)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That's just sad ... I start every season believing that we will win every game and do the quadruple ... no way 'but it's delusional' comments from opposition fans will ever change that faith ... it's what supporting the club is all about.

Away to Liverpool why not in 2011 when we needed a win we got one ... away to City why not? when we needed a win in 2010 we got one ....

Liverpool and City to win 13 games in a row? The reality is that if we beat both City and Liverpool we then only need to match City over the other 12 games, and pick up just 3 points more than Liverpool ... it's a big ask but by no means delusional,. It's a shame you can't get behind your (cough) team .....
I have got behind this team and this club more than 99% of this forum. I ain't here to make up stories about having an inside track in the stadium thread.

But I'll call out delusion when I see it.

The mental gymnastics y'all are doing are the same bullshit I debunk when people accuse us of bottling the Leicester season. Everyone dishes out the agrees and likes when I defend us against the bottling tag that year by saying we would have had to win every game from January that season (which has never been done) to top Leicester.

But I suggest it's not at all likely here and suddenly I'm against the club?

Last edited:
I think we can win at Stamford Bridge - they play a cup final 3 days before. We are better than them. We beat them at Stamford Bridge without Kane last season. Sure, we had Dele but we now have Son Heung-Min who is at his highest level of his career.

I'd take a draw at City and Liverpool if offered me now though. Most important thing is that we DON'T lose ground on those gameweeks.

With Liverpool dropping 7 points in the past 5 games. (7 points out of a possible 15 dropped is a big dent) it's all to play for, even if we drop points along the way.

Nobody thought they'd walk away from games vs Leicester & West Ham not beating either and both of these teams aren't fighting for anything be it qualifying for Europe or relegation etc.

When it gets scrappy it can turn into a real bloodbath. At this point in time, 5 points behind the leaders we are in a title race if people like to believe it or not and it's beautiful!

Thoroughly looking forward to Sunday & the rest of the season now & more than happy to see us long off going full blooded in the Dortmund game(s) if it mean she we have fresher legs for the games against Leicester & Burnley etc

With Liverpool dropping 7 points in the past 5 games. (7 points out of a possible 15 dropped is a big dent) it's all to play for, even if we drop points along the way.

Nobody thought they'd walk away from games vs Leicester & West Ham not beating either and both of these teams aren't fighting for anything be it qualifying for Europe or relegation etc.

When it gets scrappy it can turn into a real bloodbath. At this point in time, 5 points behind the leaders we are in a title race if people like to believe it or not and it's beautiful!

Thoroughly looking forward to Sunday & the rest of the season now & more than happy to see us long off going full blooded in the Dortmund game(s) if it mean she we have fresher legs for the games against Leicester & Burnley

Burnley won't matter - that's FA Cup weekend so we have a weekend off.

Beat Leicester and we can go all out for Dortmund knowing we have 10 days rest following it. As well as *hopefully* the boost of some Kane or Dele news.

Burnley won't matter - that's FA Cup weekend so we have a weekend off.

Beat Leicester and we can go all out for Dortmund knowing we have 10 days rest following it. As well as *hopefully* the boost of some Kane or Dele news.

All of a sudden the seasons shaping up pretty nicely for us isn't it?

Beat Leicester and we get a free run at Dortmund, some time to chill, focus, recharge and crack on with Burnley before taking Chelsea on 3 days after they'll be chasing shadows at Wembley. Let's hope that one goes to extra time, would be a right touch for us and the kind of thing that matters to title winning teams

All of a sudden the seasons shaping up pretty nicely for us isn't it?

Beat Leicester and we get a free run at Dortmund, some time to chill, focus, recharge and crack on with Burnley before taking Chelsea on 3 days after they'll be chasing shadows at Wembley. Let's hope that one goes to extra time, would be a right touch for us and the kind of thing that matters to title winning teams

Yeah - getting some good rest.

8 days between Newcastle and Leicester games. 13 days between Leicester and Burnley games.

All whilst City play 7 games in 24 days.

Ok, if Liverpool lose v. us and draw another, we will need to win every game....to finish second on goal difference.

If Liverpool draw 3 games (as mentioned in the previous run), one of those will have to be to us. Therefore we have also dropped points.

I'm not surprised you don't know what to do with that.

You just said unbeaten runs that Man City and Liverpool have actually achieved already (City twice in the past 2 seasons) are less liekly than us winning 15 games in a row to end the season without Harry Kane and Dele Alli.

Keep talking though.

Nowhere did I say we are likely to win 15 matches without Kane and Alli.

First, because they'll be back for a large number of them.

Second, because we only have 13 matches remaining.

Third, my whole point was I find it highly unlikely that we'll need to win all 13, because City and Pool will drop more than the points needed for that scenario. Likely not a lot more, but some.

Fourth, claiming Pool or City are liable to go on a fantastic run because they've done it sometime in the last two years is just an absurd strawman.

Unlike your advice I'll stop talking now. Life's too short. This will be my last post in this interaction and will just leave it at this. I already said, that the run we need is unlikely (even though and when I don't think we need 13 wins), so I don't know where you get that I'm delusional from. You can keep talking instead, and screaming at people to stop dreaming if you fancy. Seems a bit sad, but there you go; knock yourself out. I'm done though.

Last edited:
tumblr_n8by7s6loc1qzbqw1o1_500.gif

By the way, Liverpool have NOT gone on a run as good as ours at the end of the 16/17 season since they had Brendan Rodgers in charge back in 2014.

I wouldn't expect anything like that from them again this season.

We managed 12 wins and 1 loss in our final 13 games of the 2016/17 season. 36 points from a possible 39.

The best Liverpool have managed this season is 35 points from a possible 39 between gameweeks 8 and 20.

Nowhere did I say we are likely to win 15 matches without Kane and Alli.

First, because they'll be back for a large number of them.

Second, because we only have 13 matches remaining.

Third, my whole point was I find it highly unlikely that we'll need to win all 13, because City and Pool will drop more than the points needed for that scenario. Likely not a lot more, but some.

Fourth, claiming Pool or City are liable to a fantastic run because they've done it sometime in the last two years is just an absurd strawman.

Unlike your advice I'll stop talking now. Life's too short. This will be my last post in this interaction and will just leave it at this. I already said, that the run we need is unlikely (though not 13 wins imo), so I don't know where you get that I'm delusional from. You can keep talking instead, and screaming at people to stop dreaming if you fancy. Seems a bit sad, but there you go; knock yourself out. I'm done though.
I was wrong saying 15. It's even more absurd, it's 16. I'm including the last 3 League games we have won.

I didn't say they are liable, I said it is likely. They have both been on more ridiculous runs than they have not this year. To expect them to capitulate, which is what is needed as we won't be winning 16 League games running is absurd.

It's not strawman when you suggest us going on a ridiculous run is more likely than Liverpool and City who have actually done it. You're just upset that's provably bollocks.

FYI, our Club record consecutive League wins is 13, in 1960.

I can keep dishing out the truth if you like.

By the way, Liverpool have NOT gone on a run as good as ours at the end of the 16/17 season since they had Brendan Rodgers in charge back in 2014.

We managed 12 wins and 1 loss in our final 13 games of the 2016/17 season. 36 points from a possible 39.

The best Liverpool have managed this season is 35 points from a possible 39 between gameweeks 8 and 20.

12 wins & 1 loss in our final 13 games in 2017 with pretty much the same squad is very reassuring. If we get that kind of return from the lads this time I seriously wouldn't rule it out being enough to be crowned Champions you know

I believe thinking we can win 15 games (or even with 2 draws thrown in) in a row, from the end of January until the end of May, without Harry Kane and Dele Alli for half of it, whilst having ridiculously difficult games against Dortmund between and including away fixtures v. Chelsea, United and Liverpool is an utterly ridiculous thing to consider.

There is dreaming, and then there is delusion.

As for you saying it's far more likely than Liverpool and City going on runs described? City started the season with 13 wins and 2 draws (with a tougher fixture list). Liverpool 17 wins with 3 draws.

Don't let the facts get in the way for the sake of dreaming.
It’s not how you start the race, it’s how you finish the race....We have a better chance right now to win the league than we ever did against Leicester or Chelsea......#COYS

12 wins & 1 loss in our final 13 games in 2017 with pretty much the same squad is very reassuring. If we get that kind of return from the lads this time I seriously wouldn't rule it out being enough to be crowned Champions you know

Fixtures were kinder in 2017 but belief is everything. Football is unpredictable.

We didn't expect it from them before.

As I said, there is dreaming and there is delusion.

Including the 3 games we've just won, even an end of season run like 16 played, 13 won, 2 draws and a loss (which is still optimistic considering our fixtures) would mean Liverpool would have to drop 11 points and City 8.

Which is why I say, if we are to win the League, we'd need to win everything. Which won't happen.

We didn't expect it from them before.

As I said, there is dreaming and there is delusion.

Including the 3 games we've just won, even an end of season run like 16 played, 13 won, 2 draws and a loss (which is still optimistic considering our fixtures) would mean Liverpool would have to drop 11 points and City 8.

Which is why I say, if we are to win the League, we'd need to win everything. Which won't happen.

We won't win our remaining games.

Neither will City or Liverpool.

I'll take 10 wins from our remaining 13 games, more than do-able. 88 points. A record breaker and we go again next season.

We won't win our remaining games.

Neither will City or Liverpool.
I agree.

But expecting them both to implode with say 5 games of dropped points EACH in their remaining 13 to allow us in is fairytale shit.

Saying City and Liverpool will suddenly start showing Gooner form is mental. Especially City considering their squad and remaining fixtures.

Back
Top Bottom