Tottenham Hotspur v West Ham; Sunday 18th October; 16:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Why is it, whenever Aurier tackles, the ball ends up in a worse position that had it just stayed with the player? So many times in this game I saw Aurier make great tackles; only for the ball to roll off into a more dangerous position!

It's clear that Sissoko (lack of skill), Toby (lack of pace), Sanchez (lack of brain) are currently the weakest links in our chain.

You forget winks. I know Dele isn't at his best but how the fuck does winks make the team ahead of him. Stick anyone in the middle except winks. Anyone..even Joe flipping Hart

I'm not sure I can make any excuses for the capitulation yesterday but I am asking myself something in general, which Premier League team have a good/great defence right now?

I know, not us but right now, who's defending well?

Everyone else is not conceding 3 in 10 mins that's for sure.

Subbing Ndombele and Son out was a mistake. Why the hell did he bring Moura in? Was it because of injury worries?

Westham knew Bale was just coming back from a long layoff and Moura is not really a big goal threat. They really started attacking after Ndom and Son left the field. Jose's mistake today. Sanchez though...... dreadful.....
I think they attacked us from the very outset of the second half - we had to weather a storm where at one point early on in the half, a chart popped up showing that 40% of the action was in our side versus 8% in theirs. Which just goes to show how much we'd given up the midfield and were just inviting pressure, we were reaaally lucky not to concede from Fornals' sitter and then it wouldn't be 3 goals in 10 minutes, it'd be more like 4 in a half (though tbf we def missed a number of good chances too).

I rewatched the game (yes I know, I'm a sucker for abuse 😅) and it really struck me how often we were pressing one at a time while they hunted in pairs and swarms that second half; so even when we did win the ball, we'd just lose it immediately because we had no outlet. It wasn't even that we were completely sitting back and putting no effort in, more like our press wasn't coordinated enough and we were too reactive instead of proactive in defending, waiting for them to get going before we moved. Their intensity level had kicked up a notch and we didn't help ourselves by booting it in the air against a tall, physical team.

Having said that, I completely expected a tough midfield battle against a team that's been in superb form (yes they lost against Arse, but they had something like 14 shots on target which is pretty damn good against Arteta's side this season, and dominant wins in their other games thus far). After rewatching though, I don't think they actually created that many great chances even though we were too soft through the center. We have a ton of things to work on but if they were actually carving us up over and over again, that's worse imo than being shaky at set piece defending because the latter feels easier to work on in training, and might be helped a lot by an aerially dominant CB (like hopefully Rodon will be 🙏).

I'm hoping this is the early wake-up call we need to remember that in this league, you have to win the right to play. Any team that can't match the other's intensity level is going to struggle, even if we're more talented individually across the pitch. I'm a pretty critical person but my positive lens would be that it's much better to learn that early and not get caught up in our own hype than to let The Sonny and Kane Show paper over cracks that were already there in first half Southampton, first half Chelsea, Maccabi Haifa etc.

Having slept on it, with 3 goals at the start and 3 goals at the end, the game had a definite Ying/Yang about it, didn't it?

I'd have preferred a bit less Yang and a lot more Ying, but there you go.

Life is for learning, Grasshopper.

giphy.gif

It won't until we learn how to stay calm and clinical.

3 nil should be all you need but your strength is the fear you create in the opposition.

West Ham never seemed to lack belief in my opinion.
That is the key here....
We were 3-0 up, and we brought on Bale!

...imagine the roles reversed; we were 0-3 down away at a team who can bring on Bale!!
I'm surprised West Ham didn't throw in the towel, and just walk off at that point!
But that's the difference in mentality...
We brought on Bale to 'show off' 'cos we 'knew' the game was won, and he could have a 20 minute training excersise free kick about....

How wrong we were!!

Interesting point you raise there about the Bale chance - as soon as it went wide I was looking at the ref thinking he was going to give a pen.

The fact VAR didn't even seem to look at it doesn't sit right with me. In fact, following the outrage at VAR handballs etc from a few weeks ago it's all gone suspiciously quiet as if they're purposely avoiding involving it. I wouldn't complain but it's so fucking inconsistent.
Ill say this...dippers denied injury time goal yesterday is why Winks being fouled wasnt looked at

Totally over it.

I never, ever make predictions but I'm going to break that rule and make one, what's more it applies to every team in every league on Earth.

We'll draw and lose some games we should have won
We'll draw and win some games we should have lost

giphy.gif

Last edited:
I made the mistake of rearranging some of my old Spurs programmes & football magazines part way through the 2nd half whilst listening to the game...
Complacency on my part... it's ALL* my fault!

*PLUS a giant Crane (the bird, not the construction vehicle) landed on the house opposite seconds before the first West Ham goal... and stayed there till the butter end.... then fucked off.....
I'm partly blaming him/her!

AND that is the last feckin time I link to an opposing teams forum to gloat.

After following this team for more than 40 years, you really would have thought I would know better.

My fault everyone.. :mourbye:

Still a little annoyed at drawing this game (WH do know they didn't win it right? lol), but this result was totally on us. That said, I can also see why we backed off too (3-0 up at 80 mins). What WH benefitted from was a very slack 10-minute period where bad defending and an OG got them back in the game, and that last minute Lanzini 'worldy' just happens sometimes.

But at least we (kind of) know why/how we conceded those 3 goals in the last few minutes. Do WH know why/how they were completely outclassed for 80 minutes, eventually relying on Spurs to offer them a lifeline - or 3? Do Newcastle have an answer to being completely outlclassed for 90 minutes, relying on a dodgy free kick and even dodgier VAR call to get their late 'equaliser'?

We'll be fine once we've acknowledged and addressed the reasons why we got so sloppy (extra set piece training this week please), but other teams have MUCH bigger issues to resolve than we do...yeah, it was a bad result for us, but we'll get better at closing games out, and I expect us to challenge for top 4 this season and maybe the title next season!

No need to panic, let's see where things are after 15-20 games before we start condemning anyone for yesterday's freaky result.

COYS!

The Lucas sub still confuses me , but then again I’m sure Jose wasn’t thinking we could possibly throw away a 3-0 lead , We were shocking but Credit
To West Ham they didn’t give up, they will
Hopefully take some points away from the rest of our rivals for top 4 this season, not looking forward to Burnley away, they are yet to get any points this season so we all know how this works! Dr tottenham will see you Monday!

That is the key here....
We were 3-0 up, and we brought on Bale!

...imagine the roles reversed; we were 0-3 down away at a team who can bring on Bale!!
I'm surprised West Ham didn't throw in the towel, and just walk off at that point!
But that's the difference in mentality...
We brought on Bale to 'show off' 'cos we 'knew' the game was won, and he could have a 20 minute training excersise free kick about....

How wrong we were!!

Brilliant point mate. Nail on the head right here.

It was our arrogance and that sense of complacency that you would never expect from a team managed by Mourinho.

And worse is that at 3 nil and looking as though we had ridden the storm many fans would also have welcomed Bale's introduction. It's us isn't it

Had we gone into a 3 nil lead at 70 minutes it's game win but the manner of our surge and then having dealt with West Ham's initial second half response led to us taking our foot off the pedal.

I doubt it will happen again and is entirely different from the Newcastle game.

Mourinho got caught between 2 stools and will know and recognise that. Posters blaming players are wide of the mark. That's just nonsense.

And as fans we have to be happy with winning ugly and not get caught up in the hype. At 3 nil people wanted 10. Disrespectful.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom