Tottenham Hotspur vs Leeds United; Sunday 21st November 2021; 16.30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Or perhaps Conte is spot on in his assessment of N'Dombele, and actually it's Igula who isn't quite the manager that he inexplicably seems to think he is...
but, but, but he does really well at FIFA manager, surely that gives him the right to criticise squad selection by the highly successful manager and ex professional footballer (at the highest level) Antonio Conte?

No mark, know feck all blowhards like him and equally gormless posters like Crapcase don't need to watch the players train or have any relevant footballing pedigree or real time managerial at any level, no sir!

all they have to do is play their computer games and come on sites like this and tell us all just how unutterably shite all of our players are - and then lecture everyone on how to support the team they watch from their living rooms, miles away...........

No Raphina or Rodrigo for Leeds. Interesting.

Things like calling people stupid fucks minus the nationality bit are/or were more acceptable around here. This place is a lot more tolerant of that kind of shit than SC (although we do have a 'new world order' now where personal abuse is less accepted (or at least you run the risk of being foul voted). Certainly nowhere near as strict as SC.

But racism is normally called out pretty quickly. Maybe people just missed the post or something. People have definitely been banned/binned in the past for it, so I wouldn't say it is at all accepted
I didn't see it. Who and where?

There are presumably 2 possibilities:
  1. Conte, probably one of the top 5 managers in the world, a pretty arrogant guy who clearly knows is own mind, is doing what Mason tells him to do.
  2. Conte is doubtful about N'Dombele's fitness, attitude, likelihood of doing what he is told to do on the pitch, meanwhile he was impressed with those same attributes in Winks during training etc, so chose Winks to play yesterday (several others being unavailable).
Are you seriously saying that you think 1 above is more likely than 2?
Do you really think anyone on here will give you any credibility on any football opinion you care to give in the future if you honestly say '1'?
You think wasteofspace is given any credibility on here full stop?
Laugh Lol GIF by PG Tips

There are presumably 2 possibilities:
  1. Conte, probably one of the top 5 managers in the world, a pretty arrogant guy who clearly knows is own mind, is doing what Mason tells him to do.
  2. Conte is doubtful about N'Dombele's fitness, attitude, likelihood of doing what he is told to do on the pitch, meanwhile he was impressed with those same attributes in Winks during training etc, so chose Winks to play yesterday (several others being unavailable).
Are you seriously saying that you think 1 above is more likely than 2?
Do you really think anyone on here will give you any credibility on any football opinion you care to give in the future if you honestly say '1'?
What is very very likely is that Winks trains hard. Mourinho last preseason said it woudl be a big year for Winks. Started him early on and then gave that up as he is quite bad during games.

Winks probably runs hard in training and does everything that hes told to. So he's being given a chance ahead of ndombele who doesnt fit the 3-4-3 weve been playing at all.

Winks was shite in the first half and much better in the 2nd. But that was the 17th placed team , so we can get away with 1 or 2 bad players. Next few games are also against the 18, 19th and 14th placed teams. If one of Skipp/Hojberg arent available Winks may get even more chances (if locelso isnt available as well)

Then we have Leicester, Liverpool and Westham in Decemeber. If Conte still picks Winks ahead of others then your number 2 could be true that he is actually impressed by Winks. Right now its just about whats available .

Not been working today so done a fair bit of reading and rewatched the game.

Something struck me about how we looked positionally, I could work out where I saw it before then it dawned on me, Gasperini's Atalanta!!

Why look how deep both PEH and Winks played

FEzMyJTWYAQ4p7t

The same in the improved 2nd half

FEzgFfWXwAYfMXK

And for the muppet in the Dier thread see above and how influential Dier was in bring the ball out as a result of our double pivot dropping deep (with Leeds going man for man it left Dier free), this was where Dier was playing many vertical line-breaking balls to the feet of our front three (mostly Kane and Lucas).

I think we missed Romero here more than anything as him coming out of defence is his biggest strength, it adds a body in Midfield.

Take a look here at Atalanta for comparison, it's the fucking same!!

love this kind of analysis, very interesting

Let's hope the halftime booers actually support the team or just stay at home and let someone else use it.
I’d say they probably are fervent supporters no? I’d likely not boo a team as a plastic attending fan, not enough skin in the game? They were super frustrated with the recent efforts, and fair enough… you could have put Jesus (the real one) out in 9 and they would have booed equally at half time

Something struck me about how we looked positionally, I could work out where I saw it before then it dawned on me, Gasperini's Atalanta!!

Why look how deep both PEH and Winks played

FEzMyJTWYAQ4p7t

FEzgFfWXwAYfMXK

And for the muppet in the Dier thread see above and how influential Dier was in bring the ball out as a result of our double pivot dropping deep (with Leeds going man for man it left Dier free), this was where Dier was playing many vertical line-breaking balls to the feet of our front three (mostly Kane and Lucas).

I think we missed Romero here more than anything as him coming out of defence is his biggest strength, it adds a body in Midfield.

Hey guido, what tactic improved our second half? Else was it ‘effort’? Cheers

Hey guido, what tactic improved our second half? Else was it ‘effort’? Cheers
Positionally mainly I think, the whole team was at least 10yrds higher from starting positions.

Kane, Son & Lucas also went more laterally but still narrow (still had one of the 3 drop deep but they weren't standing on each other's toes). But this was aided with Winks and PEH dropping even deeper pulling out Foreshaw (who I thought along with Phillips was excellent) which then led to a defender being pulled out when one of the 3 dropped deep. Just doing this created the space that wasn't there in the first half (in the first half Foreshaw wasn't isolated, he was in 2nd half)

Also, with both PEH and Winks dropping even deeper alongside CB's meant with Leeds man-marking them they created the space for Dier to bring the ball out.

Finally, our WB's pushed much higher too, which forced Leeds into a back 4, with us pressing higher they were pinned back and unable to keep the ball (much as we were in the 1st half). All this was underpinned with us playing more aggressively and outrunning them and making 1st & 2nd ball before them.

Conte alluded to some major tactical change, I'm fucked to spot specifically what that was! To my eyes, it was just tweaked (as per above) to the positions intended for the first half but just much more aggressively and positively applied. ???

🤌

Conte is working with ndombele until he is ready to come into the team. He's done it before, not playing players until they understand what he wants from him. But that doesn't fit your agenda...
My agenda is Spurs first and rats OUT!

🐀

Something struck me about how we looked positionally, I couldn't work out where I saw it before then it dawned on me, Gasperini's Atalanta!!

Why? look how deep both PEH and Winks played

FEzMyJTWYAQ4p7t

FEzgFfWXwAYfMXK

Interesting. I registered Conte saying he was unhappy with the quality of our final balls from the wide areas. Wonder how the team will shape up as soon as the players get familiarised with the system.

Positionally mainly I think, the whole team was at least 10yrds higher from starting positions.

Kane, Son & Lucas also went more laterally but still narrow (still had one of the 3 drop deep but they weren't standing on each other's toes). But this was aided with Winks and PEH dropping even deeper pulling out Foreshaw (who I thought along with Phillips was excellent) which then led to a defender being pulled out when one of the 3 dropped deep. Just doing this created the space that wasn't there in the first half (in the first half Foreshaw wasn't isolated, he was in 2nd half)

Also, with both PEH and Winks dropping even deeper alongside CB's meant with Leeds man-marking them they created the space for Dier to bring the ball out.

Finally, our WB's pushed much higher too, which forced Leeds into a back 4, with us pressing higher they were pinned back and unable to keep the ball (much as we were in the 1st half). All this was underpinned with us playing more aggressively and outrunning them and making 1st & 2nd ball before them.

Conte alluded to some major tactical change, I'm fucked to spot specifically what that was! To my eyes, it was just tweaked (as per above) to the positions intended for the first half but just much more aggressively and positively applied. ???

🤌
The first half they played with too much caution and gave Leeds too much respect, in the second half they threw the shackles off and took more risks

Basically they knew they could hold them back and then attacked them and made them play in their own half and not ours

In the old days, we used to call it - "trying a little bit harder"
:)

Back
Top Bottom