Woolwich Wanderers V Tottenham Hotspur Football Club

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

'I'm sorry he got injured but I don't have any regrets'

Please break this mans legs
sandro_2887747.jpg

MMMM LUNCH

Nice of Wenger to give us some advice on how to navigate a transfer window :myword:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...hams-spending-as-it-approaches-100m-mark.html

"One player Woolwich have signed is former midfielder Mathieu Flamini, who had been training with the club on a casual basis. “At the start I didn’t want to sign him,” Wenger said. “I’ll be completely honest about that. Circumstances and his attitude convinced me to do it, because I didn’t expect him to be in that mental state and physical shape."

Pretty much my attitude 15 minutes before closing time at a club when the fat bird you dismissed earlier in the evening all of a sudden shows hidden potential.

I have a dream....that this Sunday will mark the beginning of a glorious new era for the Spurs. That we will destroy our arch rival for all the world to see, and will send out a statement of intent to the rest of the league, and they will hear the battle-cry of the mighty Spurs and tremble in fear of what's coming their way. And at the end of this season we will step through the curtain and finally take our seat at the high table, with an eye to the future where we will eventually conquer the premier league and then the champions league. Come on you mother fucking beautiful lilywhites, COYS!!!!!!!!

But having said that, I'll be ok with a draw :soldadowtf:

I think I am more nervous about Woolwich games these days than back in the days where we were expected to lose. When they were actually a good team and we were down the bottom end. But now, IMO we should be beating them, so that makes it a bit more edgy for me.

I know we are better than them.

I know we should beat them.

And the fact that we might not, worries me.

Did Eriksen and Vlad also train yesterday or was it just Lamela? How long has Lamela been at Spurs exactly? I get the feeling that yesterday's triple announcement was well timed to have Wenger choking on his aftenoon croissant. I think we can seriously upset their game plan if we place both Lamela and Eriksen on each wing tomorrow. The gelification time for wingers shouldn't be that long; just tell them to do the shit they do on Youtube.

A bit off topic buy every time I see a video with VDV in it I get a semi - I know it's wrong, but I just can't move on.

I think my infatuation was cemented when he scored against Inter and I was in the first row behind the goal and he looked me in the eye.

I know it's wrong to feel this way about another man but I can't help myself.

arsenal_tottenham_1766976c.jpg

:memeokay:

A4992_zps1b323309.jpg

A1195_zps163d7017.jpg

Woolwich host Tottenham Hotspur at the Emirates Stadium in the 3rd round of 2013-14 Premier League matches on Sunday 1st September 2013 (KO 16:00).

Woolwich come into the North London Derby in 8th place on 3 points, while Spurs are in 3rd place on 6 points.

This will be the 252nd time the two teams have met.

Spurs v Woolwich is now one of the great rivalries in World Football but the fixture had very different beginnings back in November 1887 when the clubs first met in a friendly played on Tottenham Marshes. Woolwich, then called Royal Woolwich, had been formed just a year earlier as Dial Square and were essentially the works team for the munitions factory situated in Woolwich, Kent, while Spurs who had been formed some five years earlier in 1882 still had many of the youngsters who founded the club playing for them. Spurs won that first encounter 2-1, although the game was cut short by 15 minutes, due to poor light conditions because of the Woolwich team getting lost and turning-up late for the start.

Seven more friendlies were played between the two clubs from 1888 to 1896 with Spurs winning four and Woolwich winning three before their first competitive match in March 1899. By this time, Woolwich were re-named Woolwich Woolwich and the clubs met in the United League with the Gunners winning 2-1 at the Manor Ground in Plumstead while Spurs won the return match 3-2 at Northumberland Park.

Two matches were played within the same week in April 1900 in the Southern District Combination League with Spurs winning 4-2 at White Hart Lane which was followed by a 2-1 win to Woolwich at Plumstead in a game abandoned after 75 minutes due to "bad language". History doesn't provide the answer as to who was the guilty party! From 1901 to 1920, the clubs met in various minor competitions, friendlies and matches played during the First World War.

Tottenham Hotspur joined the Football League in season 1908-09 and won promotion to the First Division on their first attempt. The following season they played Woolwich in December 1909 and lost 0-1 at the Manor Ground in Plumstead, while the reverse fixture at White Hart Lane ended in a 1-1 draw with John Curtis scoring Spurs' first League goal against the Gunners.

The teams met for three more seasons before Woolwich's relegation at the end of the 1912-13 season with Spurs winning three matches, Woolwich winning two and one game drawn.

September 1913 proved to be a hugely important date in the history of both clubs as Woolwich controversially moved from south of the River Thames into the territory reserved for Tottenham Hotspur and Clapton (later Leyton) Orient, in clear violation of the rules and regulations governing such relocations as stipulated by the Football League. Despite bitter protests, Woolwich's move to Highbury (more correctly called Woolwich Stadium) was allowed.

White Hart Lane was requisitioned by the Army during WWI, so Spurs played many of their wartime matches at Highbury.

When League football resumed after the war in 1919, it was decided to once again expand the First Division from 20 teams to 22. The normal way of doing this had always been to add the top two clubs from the Second Division to those who were already in the First Division. However, there were complications arising from allegations of match-fixing from Liverpool and Manchester United during the final matches of the last season played before the League was suspended and it was felt that they would forfit their Top Flight status as a result.

From nowhere, Woolwich, who had finished sixth (later corrected to fifth) in the Second Division before the war were 'elected' to take Tottenham Hotspur's place in the First Division. Allegations of bribery persist to this day and Henry Norris (Woolwich's Chairman) was later given a lifetime ban from football from the Football League for underhand financial activities.

Spurs and Woolwich played their first Football League match after World War One in the First Division in January 1921 with Spurs winning 2-1 at White Hart Lane while Woolwich won the return match at Highbury 3-2. All 150 League games played to date have taken place in the Top Flight of English football.

Highbury was taken over by the Army during the Second World War and Spurs returned the favour by allowing Woolwich to play their wartime matches at White Hart Lane. Woolwich won the first FA Cup meeting between the two teams 3-0 in the 3rd Round in January 1949. The clubs have played five FA Cup matches to date with Spurs winning two and Woolwich winning three.

The first Football League Cup match took place in November 1968 with Woolwich winning the first leg of the Semi-Final 1-0 at Highbury and Spurs drawing 1-1 at White Hart Lane the following month. Of the 12 League Cup matches played so far, Spurs have won 3, Woolwich have won 6 and three games have been drawn.

Both Woolwich and Tottenham Hotspur were founder members of the Premier League in season 1992-93 and both clubs are among the seven (Liverpool, Everton, Chelsea, Manchester United and Aston Villa are the other five) who have been ever-present during the 21 seasons of the competition.

Woolwich went two goals ahead by halftime in the 2010-11 fixture at the Emirates in November through Samir Nasri and Marouane Chamakh but Spurs came back strongly with goals from Gareth Bale, Rafael van der Vaart (penalty) and Younes Kaboul to secure a 3-2 win.

The match at White Hart Lane in April 2011 was a six goal thriller with honours even. Theo Walcott and Rafael van der Vaart scored goals within the first 10 minutes before Samir Nasri put the Gunners 2-1 up after 12 minutes. Woolwich went further ahead with a Robin van Persie goal on 40 minutes but Tom Huddlestone made it 2-3 by halftime. Van der Vaart scored the only goal in the second half from the penalty spot.

The fixture at White Hart Lane in October 2011 was won by Spurs 2-1 with goals from Rafael van der Vaart and Kyle Walker with Aaron Ramsey scoring for Woolwich. The Gunners won their home match in February 2012 5-2. Louis Saha had put Spurs ahead after 4 minutes and an Emmanuel Adebayor penalty put Tottenham further ahead after 34 minutes. But Woolwich pulled two goals back before half-time through Bacary Sagna and Robin van Persie. Tomas Rosicky put Woolwich in front just after the break and the rout was completed with a brace from Theo Walcott.

During the 2012 summer transfer window, Spurs signed former Woolwich striker Emmanuel Adebayor from Manchester City after having spent a season on loan.

The match on 17th November at the Emirates resulted in a 5-2 win for Woolwich. Emmanuel Adebayor put Spurs ahead after 10 minutes but was sent-off eight minutes later for a rash tackle on Santi Cazorla. Woolwich then scored three times to make it 3-1 at halftime - Per Mertesacker, Lukas Podolski and Olivier Giroud grabbing the goals. Santi Cazorla put Woolwich further ahead on the hour mark but Gareth Bale pulled one back for Spurs before Theo Walcott scored the fifth for Woolwich just before the final whistle.

Spurs won the match at the Lane in March 2013 2-1 with Gareth Bale scoring after 37 minutes and Aaron Lennon adding a second two minutes later. Per Mertesacker pulled a goal back for Woolwich six minutes into the second half.

As far as Football League / Premier League matches go, three player have both scored nine goals for Spurs against Woolwich - Billy Minter and Bobby Smith.

Three Woolwich players have each scored eight goals against Spurs - Robert Pires, Emmanuel Adebayor and Alan Smith.

There have been three hat-tricks scored during North London Derbies - Terry Dyson for Spurs and Ted Drake & Alan Sunderland for Woolwich.

Jimmy Robertson & Emmanuel Adebayor are the only two players to score for both Spurs & Woolwich in a North London Derby.

Woolwich's David O'Leary has played in the most North London Derbies (35) while both Gary Mabbutt & Steve Perryman played 31 games with Spurs.

Overall, Spurs have won 91 of the 251 matches played against Woolwich with the Gunners winning 101 and 59 matches drawn.

Emmanuel Adebayor
Clive Allen

Charlie Ambler
Bob Arber (Woolwich player, Spurs reserves manager)
David Bentley
David Black
Anton Blackwood
Jimmy Brain
Laurie Brown
Walter Bugg
Lycurgus Burrows
Sol Campbell
Herbert Chapman (Spurs player, Woolwich manager)
Damien Comolli (Director of Football at both clubs)
Freddie Cox
James Delvin
Wilf Dixon (Spurs assistant manager, Woolwich trainer)
Jack Eggett
Tom Fitchie
Theo Foley (Woolwich assistant manager, Spurs reserves manager)
William Gallas
George Graham
(Woolwich player, manager of both clubs)
Vic Groves
Tom Hatfield
Stewart Houston (Assistant manager at both clubs)
Joe Hulme (Woolwich player, Spurs manager)
George Hunt
David Jenkins
Pat Jennings

Bill Julian
Peter Kyle
Neil Lacy
Bill Lane (Spurs player, Woolwich scout)
Peter McWilliam (Spurs manager, Woolwich scout)
Tom Meade
Billy Minter
Terry Naylor
Terry Neill
(Woolwich player, manager of both clubs)
Jamie O'Hara
Tom O'Shea
George Payne
Ron Piper
Tom Pratt
Rohan Ricketts
Jimmy Robertson

Andrew Swan
Walter Thomas
Erik Thorstvedt
Steve Walford
Ernie Walley (Spurs player, Woolwich coach)
Charlie Williams
Willie Young

Remember,guys, if something going wrong during the game Arse
I think AVB will go with the following:

m8h849.jpg

Remember,guys,if something doesn't work properly during this game tomorrow for the Spurs,you have to make that, following these instructions,like "PLAN "B":
1) the coffin where Vlad The Impaler sleep during the night must be transportted to Arse stadium,inside the stadium ,near their bench of reserves,in the day of the game;
2) cover the light of the day, inside their stadium,with black curtains to be dark inside the stadium;
3) somehow put this music on :"Kasabian-Vlad The Impaler" (Vlad song)
4) every Spurs fans and Spurs players must be have garlics on their necks,for not a "collateral damage" issue;
5) it's time now to open the Vlad "bedroom" (his coffin)
6) after that ,close your eyes ,and don't enter in panic you all if you see or heard something horror;
7) because Vlad must follow his natural instinct,like his celebre great-grandfather in the past ,Vlad Tepes;
8) after his lunch will be complete and return to his "bedroom",remove "black curtains" around the stadium
9) don't asking yourself why the "red t-shirts" are not in the pitch;
10) Soldado and his mates must be introduce the ball in the net (Arse gate) ,how often they like to obtain a victory ,a splendid final result,victory ,for the Spurs...
===THE END===
Dan,Romania.
P.S. this "plan" works well every time when in Romania ,on the Steaua stadium we had problems...with other teams,we call Vlad to escape us from the "bugs" - bad referrees or players from oponent team...
:D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom