Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well I think my point is that the box-ticking has too much weight in our process. The field of transfer targets is overly narrowed.

Well your point very much saught to establish itself by arguing that Levy was indeed part of the scouting process... The end of things that should have assessed Ndombele's ability, mentality etc. (See the post I was originally responding to which criticised the deal itself.)

Ndombele fit Levy's criteria for age and sell-on value and allowed him to go another round with his old man crush Aulas at Lyon.

Your playful depiction, riffing off of Levy meme's aside; we know that Poch put the player under the magnifying glass and talked him into coming having presumably been scouted by out scouting staff.

Now, Ndombele oozes with class, and if that's what Steve Hitchen and Poch said to Levy, they're dead right.

Which as good as concurs with what I'd previously said.

I'm just making a broader point about Levy's involvement exceeding that of other chairmen to the detriment of setting up the sort of professionalized structure that is where the business is going in the way that our stadium is where the business is going.

I'd disagree in that any club that doesn't have a DOF will to some degree find their chairman having the kind of input you're talking about....

Would I rather have a DOF? Sure, but even then a DOF will still heed the chairman's financial agenda.

At Manchester City Levy the representative of the club's ownership, Levy the CEO of the club's business operations and Levy the director of the club's football operations are three different people. The days of the do-it-all Chairman are over, these clubs are too big and complex of organizations now.

City have a money-is-no-object model beyond the playing staff too, so whilst I concur to the utopian set-up you depict, I'm not sure they're really a reasonable yardstick for many clubs.

Whilst there's plenty I agree with here, I don't think you original contradiction is any more appropriate.

I think this is a case of where Levy wouldnt be so stupid to throw a £60m player away without giving him the chance to show hes worth £61.5m...

On a serious note, lets hope a tinker in the midfield system with the extra players and hopefully quicker transfers than usual to have a bit of verve and steel about the squad will bring this man alive.

a very simplistic view I know
Or....

Behind the scenes at Hotspur Way the coaching staff consider him to be poor enough that if we give him another season to 'exhibit' himself then he'll depreciate hugely.

(No idea what the truth is, but not impossible, surely?)

He should stop hiring shit scouts that would be good.

DistantIdleAlligator-max-1mb.gif

I'd disagree in that any club that doesn't have a DOF will to some degree find their chairman having the kind of input you're talking about....

Would I rather have a DOF? Sure, but even then a DOF will still heed the chairman's financial agenda.

The thing about Levy is that he's wanted a DOF forever, and I guarantee you he looks at the City structure as an ideal and a goal. The guy is a au courant forward-thinker of the football business above all else, and always has been. It's just that he can't bring himself to relinquish the control necessary for a DOF to do their job, and every time a structure like that has been set up at ENIC's Spurs (Levy-Arnesen-Santini, Levy-Comolli-Ramos, Levy-Baldini-AVB) it has been an unstable disaster.

And to be more direct about my comment of Levy's role in our scouting, we only target players Levy likes. His analysis of the marketplace drives our player targeting process.

His view of the marketplace is very good! But it's as incomplete as a single person with a very demanding other full-time job will necessarily be. It's too big of a job now, you're competing against teams with too much scouting resources and too much analytics resources, let alone money.

Hiring Mourinho (and maybe even more than that the goofball Gedson Fernandes transfer) reflects a change of heart on Levy's part about playing the Jorge Mendes-type game. We'll see where that's headed. But I'm suspicious that where once Levy viewed people like Mendes as interloping parasites on the game, he's come to see networks like that as a last bastion of a world in which global football brands do their business in high-wire personal negotiations between swinging dick alpha males on Deadline Day.

He's gotta let it go and build a technical department worthy of the stadium he built.

"Talk to anybody in France about Ndombele and one word recurs: nonchalance"

obviously none of our scouts spoke with anyone in France. Actually they are so inept I doubt they even watched him that much. Joke of a setup.
And of course the manager that chased him for two years but didn’t want him when he was 20M had no responsibility whatsoever in this?

The scouts bought him. Poch never once watched him but went to Levy and asked for 64M?

He's gotta let it go and build a technical department worthy of the stadium he built

This is his last project before spurs are truly on level footing with the world's best. Financially we're getting close and with proper player investment strategy brought on by advanced organizational infrastructure surrounding that, the revenue with the added ROI on players AND the stadium should see us close to the giants.

In terms of football revenue. I'm not talking about dirty money.

Jesus - do you ever say anything bad about your boss?

Laughable
To be fair the shit being spouted that suddenly Levy weighed out 60M over the managers head is utter nonsense, you must acknowledge that.

It’s almost as if people read the interview with his old managers, had a little rethink about the lazy toad and his attitude, then to absolve Poch of yet another shite signing from France like Aurier, they have now decided that Levy is a chief Scout and signed Ndombele against the managers will.

So when Levy backs Poch and the player is shit it’s not backing Poch?

It’s now a Levy signing?

That’s how it works with the people who have levy bashing as their default position rather than taking one in the middle, they can’t deviate from it. It’s very peculiar. Nothing he does it right and everything that goes badly is his fault and nobody else’s.

It’s not difficult to think that there maybe more than one person to blame now is it

To be fair the shit being spouted that suddenly Levy weighed out 60M over the managers head is utter nonsense, you must acknowledge that.

It’s almost as if people read the interview with his old managers, had a little rethink about the lazy toad and his attitude, then to absolve Poch of yet another shite signing from France like Aurier, they have now decided that Levy is a chief Scout and signed Ndombele against the managers will.
Ndombele aside - to absolve Levy of any fault about our shite signings is equally laughable. That Airfixx Airfixx bot literally tracks down anti-Levy posts on here daily and tries to shut them down - scummy move of note

Also - to blame Poch for signing some shitters from the French League when that is all the budget he was given is crazy

Last edited:
A striker can just about get away with it. A central midfielder cannot, not in today's game and not in the PL. Anyway he seems to have given up, the talk is he wants to leave, he doesn't want to play for this manager. Instead of working hard to prove the manager wrong he would rather take the easy route and walk away.
Maybe he spoke to Kevin De Bruyne.

He’s been a disappointment for sure, but it’s more disappointing because of the fee. We can debate net spends forever, but this is a case where significant money was splashed out and it (so far) hasn’t worked. And it’s not the first time. Sissoko, Soldado, Janssen, Paulinho, Bent, Lamela, heck even for the time, Pavlyuchenko and Rebrov as examples. We have shown over the years that money can be and is spent. We just get the wrong players. This probably is what makes Levy and Enic more wary above all else.

All that wavering over Fernandes. And we waste the money on Lo Celso and Ndombele.

We will need a new keeper, despite Hugo’s resurgence, but fuck me the boat will sail for Pope, Henderson it even other keepers like Onana.

🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom