Racism in football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go On Popcorn GIF by swerk

I’m not left wing , I don’t particularly care for either side . That said I don’t see the issue of raising racial inequality a left wing thing . I do agree that the overly “ woke”are making matters worse but not tolerating racism is hardly woke. You get extremities on both sides of the political coin , they are the problem not your average joe. Sadly they have loud voices & both sides should be ignored
Exactly the idea that being against racism of any kind is a "wing" thing. I have a suspicion this is an American cultural perspective that the millionaire soccer players of Belgium and England wouldn't recognise. Don't intrest me and I think corbyn belongs as far from office as Exactly Johnson. I think those players are very clear in their minds about what the gesture means to them all else is obfuscation .

But why does it need to replace Kick it out?

And the media, made it political did it?

Sure. I've been aware of this movement for years, so just because Gareth bloody Southgate tells me it's not political do you think I should forget the fact I might have a slightly better insight on it than him?
So that I can benefit from your superior insight, can you tell me why footballers are taking the knee, please?

So that I can benefit from your superior insight, can you tell me why footballers are taking the knee, please?
You could argue as to why rugby league players don’t generally
They line up for 10 secs before kick off then get on with it and they have their own ‘kick out racism’

No people, you, who boo the England Team for doing it (having given a specific unequivocal reason for doing it) are racist.
If you boo Prince Harry are you racist against Brits? I mean they are just a symbol of the country! If you don't like them just be quiet. Or not.

The world isn't black and white. Some people might boo due to racism, some for the specific BLM message, some because they don't want political messaging. That's why it's a bad idea to try to force a politically divided audience to espouse a divisive political view.

No one had any issues with previous racism campaigns. Why do you think this has had such a negative response?

Booing a political gesture doesn't make you a racist by default. If you actually believe that I'll be very disappointed.

I’m just tired of politics , I mean I have an interest in it but the players on the world stage on all side are so out of touch with reality . I’d laugh as much as Starmer trying to connect with the people as Johnson. It’s all bloody made up crap . The G 7 the other day , giving not two fucks of respecting the very restrictions they set. I don’t get how anyone can side with any of them. It’s the old divide & conquer routine . With wokeness it’s as if people are trying their hardest to out do one another in things that anyone with an ounce of common sense would find absurd. The false outrage at ridiculous stand point of “ that offended me”. This is now happening on both sides of the political spectrum.

that said , 11 footballers saying no to racism is not a bad thing . Kick it out clearly didn’t work as racism is still rife in the game & society as a whole. Fifa came up with a catch phrase , it was clearly meaningless . Maybe a change of tactic , will it do anything ? Probably not but there’s no harm in trying & there’s no reason for anyone to get upset by anyone doing it . Media made it political and connected taking the knee with a bunch of extremists .
I think you could argue the media jumped on board then jumped back off again after finding out about the real movement behind it. That and what sells/clicks etc.

I've nothing else to say on the matter really. I knew it would all go one way. It's a divisive movement, something I said right at the start and I knew it would have a negative effect with a backlash. Sorry to be correct.

It's clear recently that many have backed away from aligning with the Black Lives Movement political group due to the criticism that group receives.

To that end, the England players have come out and said that they are not supporting anything political when they continue to take the knee. They're doing it to protest 'discrimination, injustice and inequality'.

That's it. That why they are taking the knee.

If anyone wants to boo them then it has to be because you're against that reasoning. You can't bring other issues into it when they've explicitly stated their reasons.

'So TW02HEY why are you booing the England players taking the knee today?'

'Well I found out this morning that my local chippy has raised the price of their large bag by a quid. I'm not having that. BOO!'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom