Eric Dier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No agenda I just watch the games and don't rely on unreliable stats that don't have much to do what actually happened on the pitch.
What is unreliable about the stats? Are you claiming they are wrong and that he didn't have an 82% pass success rate? He also had made the most passes than anyone in a white shirt today (65) significantly more than those 3 with higher % or are those numbers unreliable too?

What is unreliable about the stats? Are you claiming they are wrong and that he didn't have an 82% pass success rate? He also had made the most passes than anyone in a white shirt today (65) significantly more than those 3 with higher % or are those numbers unreliable too?

I am saying it is quite possible that they are wrong yes. I don't take them as gospel.

The bigger issue is of course that they tell us absolutely nothing about the game or how he played.

I am saying it is quite possible that they are wrong yes. I don't take them as gospel.

The bigger issue is of course that they tell us absolutely nothing about the game or how he played.
They are verified across 3 different organisations. The only variation on numbers that are seen can be on varying definitions on how certain organisations count the data for a given action being recorded. But for pass completion this is totally uniform throughout the industry.

As for how he played; you specifically stated his passing was “poor”. That’s all you said and quite rightly the obvious retort to that from those who completely disagree with you (of which there are numerous) is to provide a statistical figure that disputes your claim on his passing. His passing numbers can also be broken down to the type of pass, distance, direction, which half they were played in, key passes etc there are also passing maps that can show patterns and trends, all quite powerful in the use to provide analysis of a performance. Having scanned this data quickly there is little to suggest anything that his passing was “poor” in most metrics (including some key attacking ones he rates as a top 3 performer in a Spurs shirt)!

So, if you want to assert your claim on how poor his passing was why don’t you be more specific, or be more eloquent and insightful with your analysis.

We await the inevitable stock reply in most of these disagreements of “because I’ve got eyes”.

If one player passes 10 times to a guy thats surrounded by 3 players putting the team under pressure but its an easy straight line 3 yard pass , they get a 100% passing stat.

Another player makes more difficult passes to player in better positions, quickly, with single touches and gets 9 out of 10 right, thats 90% passes completed.

A troll like you would think the 1st one is a great passer , but in the real world the 2nd one is better.

So please detail all passes made by Dier today showing how many fit into each of your fictional categories - unless you can do that I call troll bullshit.

FYI - Opta breakdown passes by length, type, direction, and the area of the pitch - no site I know details how many players were in the 'vicinity' of the pass - please give us your magical source.

So please detail all passes made by Dier today showing how many fit into each of your fictional categories - unless you can do that I call troll bullshit.

FYI - Opta breakdown passes by length, type, direction, and the area of the pitch - no site I know details how many players were in the 'vicinity' of the pass - please give us your magical source.
You thought high passing completion % means good passing. I showed how you were completely wrong. Now you have realised you were being stupid. So youve decided to bring up other things. Stop trolling.

You thought high passing completion % means good passing. I showed how you were completely wrong. Now you have realised you were being stupid. So youve decided to bring up other things. Stop trolling.
You showed nothing of the sort - as pretty much everyone has explained to you - you were wrong about Dier in this game, just grow a pair and admit it.

If you didnt realise you were wrong even now.... and I was wrong about Dier in this game? How? I said he had a decent game. Senile idiot.
Whatever - if you can't even make up your own mind why bother posting?

Dier was good in this game, his passing was statistically top three/four in the team - way better than normal - only a fool or a troll would have missed that.

Whatever - if you can't even make up your own mind why bother posting?

Dier was good in this game, his passing was statistically top three/four in the team - way better than normal - only a fool or a troll would have missed that.
Ive already made up my mind. And said he was fine . Stop trolling. No wonder everyone thinks of you as a complete idiot.

I don't spend my time in data creating stuff, not my bag, but I do like to review the work done by others who pull the data together. Unfortunately, that means being patient and keeping fingers crossed that they produce something.

So amongst other things, I find passing maps based on average player positions of significant value, as it can show patterns to our build-up across the pitch (and it will show spaces between players too, but I stress this is an average not actual, so average position and average successful pass).

FEvqp5sWYAEc2hx

Above is one for yesterdays game, frustratingly it's only up to the 67th min! So it means we have to view this diagram with this reference, which means this shows the effect of Leeds man for man press against us more than anything. There is a blueprint to how Conte wants his teams to play and so far there are early signs of this all be it not executed well and/or only in fits and starts, but he wants his teams to play vertically. I would love to see another map that reflects us being the better side (2nd half), guess we'll have to wait and hope on that.

I don't spend my time in data creating stuff, not my bag, but I do like to review the work done by others who pull the data together. Unfortunately, that means being patient and keeping fingers crossed that they produce something.

So amongst other things, I find passing maps based on average player positions of significant value, as it can show patterns to our build-up across the pitch (and it will show spaces between players too, but I stress this is an average not actual, so average position and average successful pass).

FEvqp5sWYAEc2hx

Above is one for yesterdays game, frustratingly it's only up to the 67th min! So it means we have to view this diagram with this reference, which means this shows the effect of Leeds man for man press against us more than anything. There is a blueprint to how Conte wants his teams to play and so far there are early signs of this all be it not executed well and/or only in fits and starts, but he wants his teams to play vertically. I would love to see another map that reflects us being the better side (2nd half), guess we'll have to wait and hope on that.
Since the fattest arrows are between Dier and the CMs back and forth all very close to each other, we basically need someone at CM who resists the press and can move the ball further forward rather than passes it right back to Dier. I doubt Winks+Hojberg together or even Skipp+Hojberg can do it.

But then like you said this is mostly the first half when we were poor.

Ive already made up my mind. And said he was fine . Stop trolling. No wonder everyone thinks of you as a complete idiot.
Speaking for "everyone" now - not only a fool but an arrogant fool - who would have guessed?

People have different opinions, you and I only speak for ourselves, or were you just referring to the voices in your head when you claimed everyone?

FEvqp5sWYAEc2hx

Conte commented on this noting how the midfield two played so deep it was like a back seven, his tactical change was to move them both twenty yards further forward and allow for an easier transition back to front. Was that a tactical fail for 45 minutes or a cunning plan?

The biggest winner was Moura - gave away the ball almost every time in the first 45 with it arriving from a distance and with a defender up his arse - second half he received much shorter passes and had space and time to turn and attack - amongst a couple of other tweaks this was the main gamechanger.

Fully agree a 1st half v 2nd half breakdown will be fascinating

As this is the Dier thread - that halftime change also meant Dier wasn't having to play 30/40/50/60 yard passes to a well-marked front three - he could step forward and find the midfield two or a forward closer and in a bit more space - a role he is far better at than trying to be the new Toby.

Since the fattest arrows are between Dier and the CMs back and forth all very close to each other, we basically need someone at CM who resists the press and can move the ball further forward rather than passes it right back to Dier. I doubt Winks+Hojberg together or even Skipp+Hojberg can do it.

But then like you said this is mostly the first half when we were poor.
Going off solely how Conte's teams have previously played (so assuming he's going for the same thing with us) a lot of his build-up phases also have both FB's heavily involved, the map shows Davies barely involved and while Emerson is clearly linking, you can see he's quite deep almost ontop of Tanganga (there might have been a specific reason for this tactically as instruction but I thought Tanganga struggled with the ball yesterday and this may have been when Emerson came deep(??).

Yeah, keeping fingers crossed another map is produced reflecting our improvement, would be nice to do an overlay but I suspect the biggest change would be in the positions of the players all more advanced, front three with more separation and Reggie and Emerson higher up.

Both Winks and PEH were better in 2nd half too, largely because they had players showing for the ball more, providing better angles etc.. But only needs a collective improvement of 5-10% levels across the pitch to make things click more which is encouraging (provided they recognise this, that they feel the differences in the own individual performance for reference for their next games).

Back
Top Bottom