Come here to laugh at Gooners

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He doesn’t have to. He’s decided to because he’s motivated to play and prove himself for a prestigious club. He was a disgrace at Woolwich.

Indeed. He had issues with mentality/ego at Dortmund too. Clearly at some point at Woolwich he decided he wasn't particularly interested, and once that happens the manager has little to no choice. Just because he's doing well at Barca doesn't mean Woolwich were wrong to let him go.

I'm still relishing DT's interview from back when they signed him.

I remember him saying something almost exactly to the effect of "he has a shot, then it's in the back of the goal, simple as that."
When you get aficionados like DT rating a player there’s every chance he’s going to end up hopeless

Wasn’t his previous love affair xhaka until reality broke his heart

He doesn’t have to. He’s decided to because he’s motivated to play and prove himself for a prestigious club. He was a disgrace at Woolwich.

What did he do? Miss training a couple of times, turned up late to team meetings, how naughty...hardly along the lines of doing an interview professing his love for his former club begging for them to sign him (Lukaku), or refused to come on as a sub in a match for example (Tevez) , much more dickish things worthy of cancellation.

There's no denying that and they were well within their right to let him go but you can only really stand by that decision if a) you have a replacement to bring in or b) Your team is capable of scoring goals or at least replacing the goals he would have scored.

Neither of these things were or have become apparent.

What did he do? Miss training a couple of times, turned up late to team meetings, how naughty...hardly along the lines of doing an interview professing his love for his former club begging for them to sign him (Lukaku), or refused to come on as a sub in a match for example (Tevez) , much more dickish things worthy of cancellation.

There's no denying that and they were well within their right to let him go but you can only really stand by that decision if a) you have a replacement to bring in or b) Your team is capable of scoring goals or at least replacing the goals he would have scored.

Neither of these things were or have become apparent.
Those things are very bad in football circles. I don’t know what the fines are for pro players but even for scholars (17 year olds) , a decade ago you’d have been fined £60 for being a minute late to training, £100 for kit indiscretions etc etc. These sorts of things matter hugely and so not turning up for training, leaving the country without permission in a world with Covid restrictions and repeatedly turning up late to meetings would be viewed as serious un professionalism at ANY championship or premier league club. If a youth player did that they’d be released.

So yes it’s very naughty and combined is a lot worse than an interview because it’s a more direct threat to the harmony of the team. Count me as itk on that perception at pro clubs.

Wasn’t he also club captain? It’s about as bad an example of misbehaviour as I can remember. Imagine if he had done that to SAF or Conte? Hahaha omg

But yes you’re right to highlight Woolwich’s recruitment has been poor and they desperately need a striker that scores goals. I’m glad they’re so incompetent!

If I have one criticism of this thread, is that there isn't nearly enough of it.

AFTV isn't what it was, sadly. So it falls on this thread to provide the core content....

ccelebritiesNINTCHDBPICT000051074556-1-1024x712.jpg

...sorry
<removed>s

Feb 2021

The issues have continued and in March the club recorded losses of £47.8m for the financial year ending May 31, 2020. £14m of that was from matchday revenue, £6m came from broadcasting and other commercial losses and the final £34m bring due to a deferral of broadcasting revenues. The following year will comfortably surpass £100m.

However, the previous loan that was repaid was revealed to have been paid off with another loan, as their cash flow issues meant they were unable to find other means of repayment.

Losses and debt have continued to climb, and the latest Woolwich Supporters’ Trust meeting revealed the full extent of the problem.

Any amount of debt that high is of significant concern. Of course. But £500m? A season without any European football will only worsen the outcome, adding increased importance on securing a spot in continental competition next year and hoping the safety of the public is stable enough to allow for regular attending fans.

Some of the less cynical will argue the amount of debt is a signal of Woolwich taking advantage of the opportunity presented to them – the offer of extremely cheap money by leveraging heavily. It is a buyers’ market this summer and taking on further debt could be perceived as the smart option. Many will strongly disagree.

This is why they can’t get fourth. The longer they are out of it the worse they will become. There’s a reason why they have a small squad.

This is why they can’t get fourth. The longer they are out of it the worse they will become. There’s a reason why they have a small squad.

That and the fact that they have had a string of overpaid wasters on mega wages......

(Another reason why PEA_OUT was prudent.)

Lastly, no Europe at all means it's even tougher to sustain a decent level of depth.

Wasn’t he also club captain? It’s about as bad an example of misbehaviour as I can remember. Imagine if he had done that to SAF or Conte? Hahaha omg
Do you think though in this situation they would have sold him to leave themselves short?

Actually maybe they would because they would find ways to cope because they are/were top managers who can/did get the best out of their players, maybe Arteta bit off more than he can chew on this one.

Newcastle has a greater need my friend.
Italian fella who works in my local cafe, has a Geordie girlfriend. He went up there a few weeks ago when it was cold and snowing. He said they are all f..king locco. Why? Cos they laughed at him for having a coat and umbrella when the weather was hit. He said nearly everyone was in spring clothes.

So we've actually got to a point where you're criticising his type of goals despite the fact that the club who sold him are in desperate need a goalscorer? I mean what are we even doing here? 🤷‍♀️

Even if Woolwich's style of play they'd prefer a player who presses and tracks back, no-one said that you shouldn't have a goalscorer on the bench to change the game when you're other players aren't scoring.

You have to ask yourself that if Aubamayeng doesn't press, isn't energetic or aggressive then why was he doing it before under Arteta until recently and how comes Xavi is able to get that out of him now?
He's a cancer to their team.

Massive wages, dose what he wants, turns up to training when he wants (loads of things sighted about his behaviour within the club that are against the ethos and behaviours that the manager wants to instil) Poch did a similar thing when he turned up. They are in a similar position, something rotten within the culture of the club, he wants to put his faith in players that live and breathe the culture he's trying to create.

Arteta has cut the cancer out. This is a well-versed process within team sports, optimized by The All Blacks with a no wankers policy.

I've always criticised the "type of goals" he's scored since turning up at Woolwich. I've posted many times about this even before some of his attitude shenanigans had come to light. His goals are nothing special, the point of stating this is that they can be replicated by another striker, when he brings to the team isn't unique, he's not a Kane, and Aguero or Valhalovic or dare I say he's not an Aubamayang of his Dortmund days, he WAS unique there, scoring amazing goals, terrorizing defenders with his pace, he was during this time unplayable scoring goals from outside the box, inside the box, with his head, with blistering pace.

Arteta isn't an attacking coach, nothing I've seen from him during his stint so far has shown he can do this.

I am loving this thread. (Think that's what its called)

Played the video NuttyNaylor posted twice. It took an hour. Who would have thought Mr Bean had such a big family? Well, I had 20 f..king years of Wenger providing ammunition for my humiliation and sure as fuck, ill try to even things up.

Fella at 13 minutes needing a Holiday away from Woolwich will become my ringtone.

I'm drunk on giving it to gooners, Red Mancs and Spammers. Anyone with a pair of ears to tell the truth.

Words from Bake Sheltons The more I drink:

'Cause the more I drink, the more I drink
Yeah, I'm the world's greatest lover and a dancin' machine
I get loud, I get proud, and it gets worse

Those things are very bad in football circles. I don’t know what the fines are for pro players but even for scholars (17 year olds) , a decade ago you’d have been fined £60 for being a minute late to training, £100 for kit indiscretions etc etc. These sorts of things matter hugely and so not turning up for training, leaving the country without permission in a world with Covid restrictions and repeatedly turning up late to meetings would be viewed as serious un professionalism at ANY championship or premier league club. If a youth player did that they’d be released.

So yes it’s very naughty and combined is a lot worse than an interview because it’s a more direct threat to the harmony of the team. Count me as itk on that perception at pro clubs.

But yes you’re right to highlight Woolwich’s recruitment has been poor and they desperately need a striker that scores goals. I’m glad they’re so incompetent!

Yep - get fined for not having a shower or wearing your pants in the shower, or not bringing your sliders to wear after a shower …….. it’s a funny old game!

Back
Top Bottom