Tottenham Hotspur v Man United (away)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The truth is this team is overrated, 3 people have been carrying spurs over the last few months, KANE, ERIKSEN and LLORIS.
I'm so glad that we're not descending into hyperbole, "I told you so's", and melting after one game.

The others have been passengers, Especially Bentaleb and Mason.
I don't understand how you could have actually watched our games this year and make a statement like this.

I am sick to my stomach how spurs fans put on their spursy coloured glasses, just because their kids and homegrown. They simply aren't ready yet.The positions on the pitch where you need experience players is in central defence and central midfield.
Please, tell me what partnership you would rather see.

I was never a harry fan but he got that component right. You need a consistent establish midfield and central defence. Youth players need be introduced slowly into the team. Let them play cup and eruopa games. Put them alongside an expeirenced player. On the other hand Poch took the extreme approach,banishing Capoue, stambouli and chiriches.
I thought you wanted "experienced" players? Those are not exactly highly-experienced players.

Dier is another poor player. His errors always lead to us conceding,yet he keeps getting selected over chiriches.I thought we had turned a corner here with the 5-3 win over chelsea, but that's the problem 5-3, russian roulette style of play.We need to find a balance between attack and defence. It won't hurt shutting down a game at 1-0 on the 80th minute, we can never seem to do this. The only way we can win is by scoring 2-3 goals.
All complaints and no real suggestions on how to fix things. You say that Dier is error prone but you think that Chiriches is the answer? I can't honestly think of a greater high-risk player than him in the squad, so I really have no idea what you are looking for aside from just complaining.

I'm so glad that we're not descending into hyperbole, "I told you so's", and melting after one game.

I don't understand how you could have actually watched our games this year and make a statement like this.

Please, tell me what partnership you would rather see.

4-3-3
Dembele - Stambouli - Mason OR
Dembele - Capoue- Bentaleb

I thought you wanted "experienced" players? Those are not exactly highly-experienced players.

All complaints and no real suggestions on how to fix things. You say that Dier is error prone but you think that Chiriches is the answer? I can't honestly think of a greater high-risk player than him in the squad, so I really have no idea what you are looking for aside from just complaining.

Nonsense, Chiriches is just a victim of bad publicity, he had a good run alongside dawson. He reads the game better,makes the occasional risky pass but rarely has he ever contributed to us directly conceding. Dier does this all the time, his errors lead to goals, he is a good defender on his day but remains a weak link

Nonsense, Chiriches is just a victim of bad publicity, he had a good run alongside dawson. He reads the game better,makes the occasional risky pass but rarely has he ever contributed to us directly conceding. Dier does this all the time, his errors lead to goals, he is a good defender on his day but remains a weak link
Oh, it's in all bold, so it must be true.

First of all, let's not assume that he is the subject of much of any publicity, so I struggle to understand what you are eluding to. Do you really think that there is a systematic plot against him?

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see Fazio get a little more time in the back in place of Dier, but Chiriches is a not the answer. He has absolutely contributed directly to us conceding, but more often than not it is his inability to cover well and make risky plays that has created problems in the back.

Chiriches is a walking nightmare. Off the top of my head he gave away a stupid penalty against Besiktas this season and two goals last year against West Brom in the 3-3. He tends to give the ball away in key areas at least three times per game and if his errors don't lead to goals than it is sheer luck, and says nothing about him being a better defender than Dier. Playing with Chiriches will surely make the rest of the defence (and Lloris) extremely nervous and whilst Dier is unspectacular, he at least appears to be sobre during matches.

Still can't believe how lucky Van Gaal got with tactics.

For weeks I've been watching them dicking around with the ball with Blind passing sideway, Shaw looking overweight, Falcao being so uninterested, Rooney wasting all his energy chasing lost causes in midfield, and Carrick and Mata - their two best passers sitting in the stands.

That,s a very bold statement .

Tough beat. United was likely due for a good game and too bad it was Spurs on the receiving end.

Team is young so plenty of positives still moving forward and pointless to slag the likes of Mason, Bentaleb, Dier, etc.

Still need to get capable wingers who can set up our Strikers and bang goals out. Chadli/AT both showed their clear limitations vs a quality side which seems to be the obvious need for the Summer

Anyone else just listen to that masterclass demolition of Dier, Mason, Walker, Verts by Carra and G-Nev on MNF? Makes you realise just how young a team we've got. Mason in front of Dier is a recipe for disaster given their experience and Verts often total lack of leadership.

Anyone else just listen to that masterclass demolition of Dier, Mason, Walker, Verts by Carra and G-Nev on MNF? Makes you realise just how young a team we've got. Mason in front of Dier is a recipe for disaster given their experience and Verts often total lack of leadership.

What was said?

Good point about Mason and Dier.
Its all very heroic with the kids and people talk about the sense of pride, and for sure, its great for the future.

But when we are found out, we get dicked around, even by lesser teams.
Last year, some would have called it "naive" or "gung ho" to go with all these players up at Utd while we have a wealth of "frozen out" experience sitting on the bench, or on their sofas.

i am honestly struggling to understand the bizzare logic here. We take a player who barely could get a game at sporting, Another two in midfield who have minimal experience in the premier league and expect them to perform against experienced oppositon week in and week out.

Surely you have supporterd Spurs long enough. It's called Levy logic. Ignores the managers plea for certain players ie Schneiderlin, Musachio etc and goes out for average 2nd rate players like Stambouli and fazio. Not one player we have bought in the summer has improved us. The reason why we have been doing well is purely down to our home grown and Lloris. All of Stambouli, Davies, Fazio etc have been shite lets be honest. Levy needs to pull his finger out his ass this summer and buy quality the bald wanker

What was said?

Its all very heroic with the kids and people talk about the sense of pride, and for sure, its great for the future.

Last year, some would have called it "naive" or "gung ho" to go with all these players up at Utd while we have a wealth of "frozen out" experience sitting on the bench, or on their sofas.
Shit load of analysis about why we found Fellaini so hard to deal with. He sat in between Dier and Mason and neither knew what to do. Carra insistent Dier should have gone across to help out Walker when Fellaini was running the channel as Walker had Young to deal with. Dier didn't as Mason was running after him but wasn't goal-side. That left space for Carrick.

Both Nev and Carra thought Verts should have taken control and pushed Dier across. Dier too inexperienced to read game so verts should have realized.

Second half we put Bentaleb to man-mark Fellaini which Carra likened to a back three and didn't really like.

What was said?

What defensive, "experienced" players do we have on the bench that you would put in their place?

What they didn't say was that Fellaini is a monster who just had a very good game and came up against a naive Spurs defensive unit. We'll learn a huge amount from that. If we can keep the side together I'm SURE next season will be a massive improvement even with same personel. Put a Schneiderlin type player in there and a CB with leadership skills and I'd be thinking about top 3.

Absolutely, which is why we should cut them just a little bit of fucking slack already. They are young and for their level of experience and age, they have performed pretty damn well thus far.
Agreed mate. Haven't read the whole thread but my impression was most Spurs fans recognize they need time but are frustrated that Poch doesn't protect / rest / educate Mason a bit more.

Black_Vultures_Roosting_600.jpg

What defensive, "experienced" players do we have on the bench that you would put in their place?

I think Fazio and Vertonghen is our best CB pairing. I also think Kaboul has enough experience to sometimes see the pitch. I dont think Dier is much better than Vlad.

So at the end of the day its not like we are playing much superior player in Dier.

He's as hot and cold as the rest of them, but no one else is getting a shot to make a claim for the spot next to Verts.

Back
Top Bottom